Windows: iPod Software 1.3 Update Released | iLounge News

Windows: iPod Software 1.3 Update Released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, July 24, 2003
News Categories: Windows Software

The iPod Software 1.3 Update provides iTunes 4 support, including playback of AAC encoded audio files (Mac-only). For Windows users, iPod Software 1.3 adds support for Audible.com content. Additional enhancements include audio playback and user interface improvements, increased playback time on scroll-wheel iPods, and longer stand-by time for all iPods.

iPod Software Update 1.3 is only compatible with touch-wheel and scroll-wheel iPods without a dock connector. The recently introduced iPods (April 28, 2003) do not need this update.

License: Update
System Requirements: A PC with a FireWire port, Windows Me/2000/XP Home or Professional

« Griffin Announces iTrip Station Finder Software

Dr. Bott naviPod for Original iPod Ships »

Comments

Early May?

LATE JULY!!

Posted by Arsolot on July 24, 2003 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

Anyone know what “Backlite” in the main menu replaced?

Posted by Bob on July 24, 2003 at 5:42 PM (PDT)

* the angels sing *

^^ THAT SUMS UP MY MOOD!

Posted by Stasyna on July 24, 2003 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

Backlight replaced ABOUT

Posted by Stasyna on July 24, 2003 at 7:04 PM (PDT)

Hmmmm…. the same firmware as the hacked firmware (that has been available for some time). Been there done that. Working just fine all this time…. even if I had to break Apple’s precious rules to do it.

12mb for the Windows download too. The Mac version is half that. Hope you are not on a dialup connection fellas.

Yeah, thanks Steve Jobs. Really…. thanks for thinking of us Windows users 4 months after the Mac users. Yeah…. think different…. yeah, I certainly do now. Last Mac product I ever buy.

Posted by Dan on July 24, 2003 at 9:50 PM (PDT)

Dan….lol….you should’ve seen my think differently ad….it was on here in the news in June….but here’s a link….

Oh and….EARLY MAY MY ###!

Posted by zync on July 24, 2003 at 10:19 PM (PDT)

Its here.

you can quit your damn whining. The ipod was for MAc originally so i dont blame apple for being careless with windows side.

Its here and u ##### are still ########, get over it.

Posted by Stasyna on July 24, 2003 at 11:03 PM (PDT)

Yes we’re ########, not because it’s an apple product and they made the firmware for us later, but because they told us they were giving it to us in early may and it’s July 25th. And it is fair to assert that if they’re going to say that they support windows and mac users, they should update them both without predjudice.

Posted by zync on July 24, 2003 at 11:52 PM (PDT)

So when’s the last time Micro$oft released hard/software directly compatible with Apple? Let’s face it, you buy Mac, you get Mac. You buy Windows, you get windows. Don’t buy one and whinge that you don’t get the other. If it bothers you that much get Creative…

Posted by Dave on July 25, 2003 at 2:36 AM (PDT)

I got creative with my ad above smile I’m not starting this argument all over again…it’s not about windows making apple products…and the last time I checked Bill Gates did actually put a lot of money into Apple, so technically you buy Microsoft you get Apple too and you buy Apple you get Microsoft as well…but that’s not the point…the point is that they said early may and it’s now July 25th. They made windows users wait….why? the firmware was relatively the same….hell people even ported the mac firmware to the windows iPods…..it doesn’t bother me at all that my iPod is made by Apple….hell at least that way I can be sure it’ll work….I do have other Apple Products BTW….And if you’d like a list of software that works on Apple from MS then I think you should probably look on your screen because you’re probably using IE and WMP (sadly) works on Apple computers too….and guess what if you use VMware you can use windows programs on Apple computers too cause guess what! OS 10.2 is based on BSD! So you can run a great many MS programs and make them directly compatible with Apple…..see how stupid this argument is? stick to the point….early may != July 25th (late July/near August)

Posted by zync on July 25, 2003 at 4:17 AM (PDT)

Oh and to get even more futile…..you can’t even say you buy mac you get mac you buy windows you get windows because windows is an operating system and mac is a specific type of computer produced by Apple…..just stick to the point and I won’t have to ramble on mindlessly after a day of not sleeping….cause I can do it forever….or until I fall asleep, whichever comes first…

Posted by zync on July 25, 2003 at 4:18 AM (PDT)

It just never fails that people will always find fault and never be satisfied. Did you even take a moment to think about why the delay occured in the first place? In any software product, there is a testing phase so that all bugs are worked out. You relate your complaints due to the delay in release date but what if it was released without making sure the software worked, your complaint would then be based upon buggy software. Enjoy the fact that it is released, though late but working.

Posted by ezflyer on July 25, 2003 at 4:49 AM (PDT)

I’m using 98SE with Xplay for a 2nd Gen Ipod.

Can I use Xplay to apply this update? In the XPlay help it mentions that using the XPlay wizzard will make my winnypod a mac. Is that true on the update funtion of Xplay? Or are they just talking about the restore funtion?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Posted by Joe on July 25, 2003 at 5:05 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know if this release finally resolves any of the Windows firmware bugs that Apple has been ignoring for the last year?

1.  Are Audible bookmarks still being reset after the iPod is attached to the PC?

2.  Is the Playcounts file finally being updated?

3.  Is the clock being reset every time the iPod is plugged into a PC or is the clock finally being syncronized with the PC’s clock (like it does on a Mac)?

4.  Can the sound check (normalization/equalizer settings) finally be set from the PC?

Until Apple fixes ALL of these bugs in the PC iPod firmware (all of this has worked on the Mac iPods since before the first PC iPod was sold), I will continue to feel entitled to complain about the shoddy way Apple has treated their customers.

My experience with Apple support of the Windows iPod has certainly taught me to NEVER purchase another Apple product!  Switch… my a**!!!

Posted by IDSmoker on July 25, 2003 at 5:25 AM (PDT)

Any one know what the “user interface improvments” are?

Dan:  What hacked firmware???

Posted by Mike Matheson on July 25, 2003 at 6:51 AM (PDT)

the hacked one was made by mediafour and it lets you play aac files, i’m still using it cos i cant be bothered to download 1.3 for windows

Posted by ti on July 25, 2003 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

@Dave… “If it bothers you that much get Creative.”

Not that I’m a lover of Creative, but at least Creative supports its customers with periodic updates with bugfixes and new features for even their earliest .mp3 players. Creative values their customers enough to do this. They want repeat business. Does Apple?!

And yes @ezflyer, it does take a while to bugfix stuff. But 4 months??? Esp. considering that its the same basic firmware as the Mac. I can create an installer in less than a week and I’m not an advanced coder. What took Apple so long? All the coders too busy making “Finding Nemo?!”

Besides, could not have Apple told us Windows users to be patient and that there would be a delay for whatever reason?! Instead if you posted anything even remotely critical of this decision on one of Apple’s official sites, they just deleted the post.

A company that is increasingly losing worldwide market share to the PC, should have better customer service. Apple asks us to make the switch and to think different, but fails to live up to good customer service when we do.

It’s funny, I love the “stop ########” comments. It’s like I have no right to be upset and that I must take this garbagio and shut up. I agree that some of the comments are a little juvenile, but it seems like there is little democracy around Apple boards any more. Always wondered if Apple employees (pretending to be customers) post these comments here and on the forum, just to throw us off.

I do think differently now…. last Apple product I will ever purchase…. unless there is no more democracy anymore?!

@ti…. do a Google search with these words, WinniePod Updater. It’s the first link. wink

Posted by Dan on July 25, 2003 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

Sorry. Mike Matheson do the Google search above. wink

Posted by Dan on July 25, 2003 at 10:11 AM (PDT)

zync, you’re still here? Dude get the zen already….

Posted by disgruntled... on July 25, 2003 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

Disruntled…lol….sorry but I love this thing smile....Dan, thanks for stealing my thunder….I was pretty much going to say the same thing…but here it is in my words:

Ezflyer, well, first off that’s the most stupid argument I’ve ever heard since the firmware is relatively the same for both iPods, in fact I can use my iPod on both mac computers and PCs….also, had the firmware been buggy I would not have complained because I know the hard time it takes to find and fix bugs….I would’ve just stuck with it or rolled back my firmware….simple as that…not only this but Apple said “early may” then “soon”....we were never even told what was going on….then all this adding buttons removing buttons….what the hell is going on over there at Apple? I wish I had stock in apple so that I’d have reason to call them up and ask them what the hell they’re doing over there…

Posted by zync on July 25, 2003 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >