Windows: iPod Software 1.3 Update Released | iLounge News

Windows: iPod Software 1.3 Update Released

The iPod Software 1.3 Update provides iTunes 4 support, including playback of AAC encoded audio files (Mac-only). For Windows users, iPod Software 1.3 adds support for Audible.com content. Additional enhancements include audio playback and user interface improvements, increased playback time on scroll-wheel iPods, and longer stand-by time for all iPods.

iPod Software Update 1.3 is only compatible with touch-wheel and scroll-wheel iPods without a dock connector. The recently introduced iPods (April 28, 2003) do not need this update.

License: Update
System Requirements: A PC with a FireWire port, Windows Me/2000/XP Home or Professional

« Griffin Announces iTrip Station Finder Software

Dr. Bott naviPod for Original iPod Ships »

Comments

Hey Dan, you know what’s great about these guys that post “stop complaining” messages? They always seem to be so….so…..Jerry Seinfeldian “What’s the deal?” Y’know…like ezflyer who automatically assumes that I’m not happy with having the firmware because I say it’s been too freakin’ long.I love that. Don’t you? How people just sit there and think wow this guy has a negative comment about the firmware, he must not be happy with it/enjoy it. They even follow the same form:

1. General Statement:

“It just never fails that people will always find fault and never be satisfied”

2. Attempt at logical reasoning, which makes no sense considering the circumstances:

“Did you even take a moment to think about why the delay occured in the first place?”

3. Trying to debase previous argument by trying to find fault in the claim:

“You relate your complaints due to the delay in release date but what if it was released without making sure the software worked, your complaint would then be based upon buggy software.”

4. And finally, realizing they are incorrect but trying to seem nice about whatever else they’ve said:

“Enjoy the fact that it is released, though late but working.”

Sorry to use you as an example of that ez, but I didn’t feel like going to find another one on some other thread. Actually you’re probably a nice guy, but you have to admit, as you did already, that this has been a long time coming, and not only that but windows iPod users HAVE been treated rather shoddily by Apple. Hell, I never even knew/noticed that when my iPod connects to a mac that the clock is updated….that would be nice seeing as it always get’s reset each time you run low on battery.

Posted by zync on July 25, 2003 at 8:40 PM (CDT)

Seems like ezflyer hit home with that comment (two replies from zync). To think that zync comes across as one who is so intelligent and understanding but remains blind to the fact that delays are inevitable when it comes to these kinds of instances. I want it my way and I want it now! Sort of reminds me of a spoiled brat. Get off your high horse people, you have the software. You have the freedom to complain and also have the freedom to go out and by a “better” product which has superior customer support as you say but then again, the iPod is the best product out there at this time so there must be a reason that you are still here trying to find things wrong with it. Thanks zync, in advance for your backlash because it seems that you enjoy degrading other peoples opinions.

Posted by windows lover on July 26, 2003 at 6:32 AM (CDT)

In response to both zync and windows lover, there’s plenty to love about the 2G ipod (I much prefer it’s form factor to that of the 3G) and that’s the reason we keep coming back to this page, in my case I’m really hoping that Apple (or some hacker) will produce a proper update so I check in every day. I’ve got the zen (YAY!), I’m very happy with it, but it’s beginning to seem that there is a VERY DELIBERATE AND MALICIOUS effort on the part of Apple to leave 2G ipod owners in the cold. Why? 1st, with the outcry, the message boards, the petition, the rants, etc this has been a big issue since the release of the 3Gs, HOW CAN IT MAKE GOOD BUSINESS SENSE TO PISS OF SUCH A LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE, particularly the wintel users they’re supposedly trying to get to “switch”. I guess those “think different” and “switch” statements are just meaningless, empty marketing slogans. I check in everyday bcos a 2G with 3G firmware would blow everything else out of the water (yes, I admit, including the zen),  so how can it be wrong to produce the best mp3 player? In anticipation of the “we’ve got the 3G, we’re happy” nazis, allow to point something out to you: YOU JUST JUMPED ON THE BANDWAGON,  very few of you actually bought the 1G or 2G and then a 3G….it’s very annoying to hear a bunch of johnny-come-latelys talking trash cos they happened to luck out. 2nd, it’s curious that in the year that the 3G has been out there’s been no hacks out to fix the problem. I always felt that hackers not Apple would do this, but nada. What’s up guys? Is there any pressure on you from Steve? speak up! If there are hacks to read the news on the ipod, OTGP’s and other stuff should be cake.

Posted by disgruntled... on July 26, 2003 at 8:48 AM (CDT)

Here’s an idea: why don’t we start a forum where PC and Mac users can bitch about each other. It would be therapeutic and would keep the other forums on topic, ‘eh?

Seriously, there are only about 3 posts in this thread that really discuss this upgrade and none of them really get into detail about this upgrade.

p.s. For the record, I’m a developer and work with numerous OS’s, and in my opinion both Macintosh and Microsoft write flawed and arrogant software. They are both great in many ways and both suck eggs in many ways. If I was stranded on an island, which OS would I pick, neither I’d prefer to have an iPod.

Posted by Wil on July 26, 2003 at 10:06 AM (CDT)

...so which OS would you pick? BTW, I’ve never seen a forum about the 2G-3G firmware that did not devolve into bitching by the third post…it’s those damn macheads!

Posted by disgruntled... on July 26, 2003 at 11:11 AM (CDT)

lol…..I don’t think that I’ve really complained about the different computers…in fact I used to hate macs….now I love them….but I only have a powerbook 230 and it’s missing a PS…..anyway….I love macs and PCs….they both have their advantages and both have their disadvantages….and actually I’d rather have OSX over my Win XP Pro, why? even though Jobs sells an OS based from a free operating system, BSD, and uses a GUI based from his earlier NEXT ventures….but BSD is based off of Unix and that should be more stable than XP….anyways I don’t really have a preference so I don’t see where we’ve really degenerated….it seems that most people miss my point so here it is plain and simple:

1. This has been a long time coming.

2. It should have been here somewhat near the mac update, and no matter what Apple should release them in tandem to prevent irritating either group or

3. Apple should have let us know what was going on and why we had such delays. (Which is not an “or” in this case, because they were not released in tandem)

Posted by zync on July 26, 2003 at 1:32 PM (CDT)

Zync, why dont u go over to a zen board and stop bugging us ‘podders.

stupid loser.

Posted by foo_foo on July 27, 2003 at 4:50 PM (CDT)

I’m using 98SE with Xplay for a 2nd Gen Ipod.

Can I use Xplay to apply this update? In the XPlay help it mentions that using the XPlay wizzard will make my winnypod a mac. Is that true on the update funtion of Xplay? Or are they just talking about the restore funtion?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Posted by Joe on July 28, 2003 at 10:01 AM (CDT)

After all these really important discussions:

What are the improvements in 1.3? I don’t find them (besides battery problems).

Posted by Fex on July 28, 2003 at 3:11 PM (CDT)

Hey foo foo, I don’t have a Zen nor do I particularly like them so there’s no reason for me to do that….I’m a podder and I have the largest of the previous gen iPods,....and I hope your name isn’t foo because you like the foo fighters, because I’d think people who like alternative bands would be able to think in an alternative way other than:

this guy complains, he must be a loser….what incredibly intelligent and rational thinking….

Oh and BTW, I’m not stupid, nor am I conceited but I’ll let you know despite what you think I’m highly intelligent…apropos if I didn’t use the slang or the mannerisms of teenagers, you’d hardly think I am one….

Fex, I almost admire the sarcasm, it’s nearly akin to my own. These are not highly important discussions, but though they may not seem important to you they may be to others like myself and those that replied with similar statements. Still I am also concerned with what this update really *did.* I’ve not even noticed anything really with the battery, the meter was screwy before even with 1.2.6. but less-so than with the previous version, 1.1 I believe. Maybe it fixed that but I haven’t used my iPod during enough daylight to notice, and when I did it was in my pocket most of the time or connected to my computer. And thank you for not being an ass with your sarcasm.

Posted by zync on July 28, 2003 at 10:11 PM (CDT)

Can someone confirm that one of the new features 1.3 is that there is a little “lock” icon that appears when the HOLD button is turned on?

thanks

Posted by joel on July 30, 2003 at 11:44 PM (CDT)

No that’s not a new feature….the hold lock has been on my iPod since I got it out of the box….

Posted by zync on July 31, 2003 at 2:15 AM (CDT)

Let me rephrase that….the hold lock icon has been on my iPod since I got it out of the box…

Posted by zync on July 31, 2003 at 2:16 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2