Windows: iPod Software 2.1 Released | iLounge News

Windows: iPod Software 2.1 Released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, October 16, 2003
News Categories: Windows Software

The update command downloads new software to an iPod. The update command may be disabled if the iPod does not need to be updated because it already has up-to-date software. The restore command returns an iPod to ‘factory fresh’ condition. It erases and reformats the iPod before downloading new software. WARNING: The restore command erases all of the music and other data currently on the iPod.

What’s new in this version:

• Voice notes (requires 3rd party microphone, sold separately)
  • Digital photo storage (requires 3rd party photo card reader, sold separately)
  • Enhanced On-The-Go playlist
  • Improved playback performance
  • Added Music Quiz game
  • Improved backlight
  • Improved battery meter
  • New for Windows: support for AAC audio files, including songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store

License: System Requirements:A PC with built-in FireWire or USB 2.0, or a Windows-certified FireWire or USB 2.0 card and Windows 2000 or XP

« Belkin Releases Voice Recorder for 3G iPods

Mac: iPod Software 2.1 Released »

Comments

I WANT this firmware available for my 400 EUROS second generation 20 GB pc ipod grrrrrrr :/

Posted by bilbobo on October 16, 2003 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

Posted by bilbobo on October 16, 2003 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

Anyone know if early generations of the IPOD for Windows will have AAC support? I don’t see a new OS update beyond 1.3 to provide this support.

Posted by flyfisher on October 16, 2003 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

I upgraded the firmware then connected it to my pc with iTunes running, and All my songs on my iPod disappeared.  Synchronization was set to manual in itunes.  Im positive I clicked upgrade and not restore when I upgraded the firmware.  I dont know what happened to my music.

Luckily I have a backup of the ipod hard drive at home, so all is not lost.

Just a warning, BACK UP YOUR IPOD BEFORE YOU UPGRADE, OR CONNECT TO ITUNES.

Posted by nvs on October 16, 2003 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

whats the new game like?

Posted by Alex on October 16, 2003 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

I’m not sure how to do this.  When I pull up iPod Manager it tells me that I’m running 2.0.2, yet the button indicates “Launch 2.0.1 Updater.”  When I press that the “Update” button is disabled ...

Posted by Baby on October 16, 2003 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

Did they fix the Equalizer?

I can only hope that’s what improved playback means….

Posted by who on October 16, 2003 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

I’m new into this. Any help would be appreciated. To upgrade the firmware, I dowload it first, then I double click the icon to install it…. When do I connect the Ipod to my laptop? will it tell me when to do it?
Thanks

Posted by Mario Mejia on October 16, 2003 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

Are any of the early iPods ever going to be updated!? I’m really pissed I want the card reader and otg playlists and I was hoping at least for the latter when they updated the newer iPods and still nothing! I definitely want a 2nd Gen card reader….

Posted by zync on October 16, 2003 at 11:38 AM (PDT)

Why oh why is this update XP and 2000 only? Is it too much to ask for Windows ME support? :(

Posted by ZeroDown on October 16, 2003 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

Well, just installed the update and it did update fine with all tunes etc in tact.

The new backlight seems clearer and it has a ‘border’ - about 1/8” that is slightly less bright than the center.

Can’t figure out what the new Music game is all about yet though.

Clock digits seem larger than I remember though it’s not something I used often so could be wrong.

The only difference I can see in the On-The-Go playlist is that you can add albums and artists as well as individual songs.

And the whole things seems faster (but this is just subjective).

Can’t wait for the recorder. The menu options must only be available when it plugs in, which means using any mic is probably out of the question.

Overall a good update.

Posted by Ashley Scott on October 16, 2003 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

My update… is in a constant state of “not finished.”

The update on the iPod unit itself went swimmingly.

XP recognized the new drivers and the newly “updated” iPod.

But the 2.1 updater box doesn’t look like the install is finished, and I’ve been waiting minutes now.

I suppose I’ll X out and hope for the best.

This certainly reminds me of the horrid week I had trying to get the iPod to work on my ancient PC when I first bought it.

iPods usage is definitely an easier process all around for mac users.

;(

Posted by prototypechild on October 16, 2003 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

Ran updater with 30GB iPod, smoothest install of system software to date, and the biggest shock: all of my music remains on the iPod.

Order of steps:

[1] Disconnect iPod from PC.
[2] Restart PC.
[3] Install 2.1 software on computer.
[4] Restart PC if asked.
[5] Connect iPod.
[6] Launch 2.1 updater.

The new game is seriously a cool idea - loads track names and random tracks, then rapid-fire quizzes you to see if you can ID the track name of what’s playing. GREAT idea. But it’ll wear down that hard drive.

New battery icon, BTW. And new “it’s safe to disconnect your iPod” icon screen, too.

Posted by JBHLion on October 16, 2003 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

Quick update:

I closed the install prompt and checked the About section in the iPod.  Says Version 2.1, so I suppose all is well.

I notice the different battery meter and backlight, so I suppose the prompt was just confused raspberry

Hooray for working updates!

Posted by prototypechild on October 16, 2003 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

I installed the new itunes first on my computer and then just plugged in the ipod.  It updated and is working perfectly.
I think itunes and the music store are fantastic, already purchased about 20 songs.  The quality is great and DL speeds fantastic.  This is the best thing to happen to windows ipods, by far.

Posted by Greg on October 16, 2003 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

Sorry for the double post:

I don’t like the “Ok to disconnect” screen.

I never got it before… the “Do not disconnect” screen would just dissapear and bring me to the main menu.

It appears I can’t view the main menu unless I manually take the iPod out of the dock now.

Talk about a step down in convenience… is anyone else having this problem?  And is there a way to bypass it?

Posted by prototypechild on October 16, 2003 at 12:17 PM (PDT)

The ‘OK to disconnect’ is the same as an early version I had on my 2G.

And yes, it is a pain having to take it out of the dock before using.

Posted by Ashley Scott on October 16, 2003 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

I left my ipod in the dock to charge after updating. It seemed to all go fine, and I took it out of the dock when it said it had finished charging. However, when it was out of the dock the battery indicator was nearly zero. Anyone else had a siilar experience?

Posted by littlefish on October 16, 2003 at 1:58 PM (PDT)

Son of a #####.

Can’t update 2G iPods.

i angry.

Posted by Malik on October 16, 2003 at 3:43 PM (PDT)

Did it fix the EQ Problem? (i.e. when using “Rock” EQ setting, Linkin Park sounded all distorted)

Posted by Matt on October 16, 2003 at 4:15 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >