Windows: iPod Software 2.1 Released | iLounge News

Windows: iPod Software 2.1 Released

The update command downloads new software to an iPod. The update command may be disabled if the iPod does not need to be updated because it already has up-to-date software. The restore command returns an iPod to ‘factory fresh’ condition. It erases and reformats the iPod before downloading new software. WARNING: The restore command erases all of the music and other data currently on the iPod.

What’s new in this version:

• Voice notes (requires 3rd party microphone, sold separately)
  • Digital photo storage (requires 3rd party photo card reader, sold separately)
  • Enhanced On-The-Go playlist
  • Improved playback performance
  • Added Music Quiz game
  • Improved backlight
  • Improved battery meter
  • New for Windows: support for AAC audio files, including songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store

License: System Requirements:A PC with built-in FireWire or USB 2.0, or a Windows-certified FireWire or USB 2.0 card and Windows 2000 or XP

« Belkin Releases Voice Recorder for 3G iPods

Mac: iPod Software 2.1 Released »

Comments

It’s old news that older iPods can’t upgrade to 2.0 and above. I believe 1.3 works with AAC, so you will still be able to download songs from iTMS. You can be mad about it, but I only partially sympathize because I bought a 2G a month before the 3G came out, and ended up selling the 2G on eBay and upgrading. =)

Posted by Andy on October 16, 2003 at 10:01 PM (CDT)

The EQ wasn’t fixed. Linkin Park sounds just as distorted with the “Rock” setting as it did before. Bummer. The new battery indicator is super neato tho.

Posted by Matt on October 16, 2003 at 10:54 PM (CDT)

This happens because of clipping. You need to use something like mp3gain to adjust your mp3’s to have no clipping. It’ll sound quieter, but at least you’ll be able to use the EQ distortion free.

Posted by Andy on October 17, 2003 at 6:08 AM (CDT)

What do they mean improved Backlight? What’s the difference. I don’t really notice any difference to be honest.

Also what is new about the better on-the-go playlists?

Posted by Austen on October 17, 2003 at 11:24 AM (CDT)

Also what’s improved about the playback performance. I wish they’d give more details. Or does anyone know where i can find more exact details about why/how it is better?

Posted by Austen on October 17, 2003 at 11:25 AM (CDT)

how do you play the new game?  I don’t have a clue what you’re supposed to do!

Posted by Steve on October 17, 2003 at 11:26 AM (CDT)

also is it just me or does the new “OK to disconnect screen” seem stupid to you? also even when you do disconnect it then it still displays for a few second before you can use your ipod again… i know i’m impatient but still…..

Posted by Austen on October 17, 2003 at 11:29 AM (CDT)

Is this a new Software Update? I believe that I got software in August. Are there any more updates since then?

Posted by Jatin on October 17, 2003 at 1:42 PM (CDT)

Well, I just found something interesting.  I was listening with the 2.1 update, and everything seemed fine until I accidentally reset all the settings, so everything was factory set. Well the sound got MUCH better and I did not why, until I realized that as always I checked the SOUNDCHECK feature on and this time was off!!! So do yourself a favor TURN IT OFF and you’ll feel the huge difference, louder sound, better bass, i don’t even use loudness anymore. I’m aware thaat with the previous formware I did not hear any audible difference having the soundcheck on or off but let me tell you that now you will be able to hear it!!

Posted by Mario Mejia on October 17, 2003 at 9:29 PM (CDT)

* * N I G H T M A R E * *

I installed the update, everything fine, then I find that iPod manager has disappeared.  Then when I reinstall it, save the bit where the installation CD asks me to plug in the iPod so it can work it’s magic on it, I cant mount the iPod and the iPod only seems to connect then disconnect when I plug it into the PC.  I use EhPod, and I have to keep on plugging in and then unplugging to get the iPod in a state where I can save the tracklisting to the iPod.  I think, if I had a time machine, I would go back 5 mins before upgrading my iPod…....  I dont know how this game works either (i.e. how to get it) and the battery meter appears to stick, however a reset sorts it out!

Posted by Pashlipops on October 18, 2003 at 12:47 PM (CDT)

To all those wondering why your pods seem to be clipping using the Rock EQ, it’s not the firmware or the EQ, it’s the earphones.

The earphones provided with the pods are great quality as long as the frequency doesn’t dip below ~20Hz, after that they start clipping because they’re not long-throw drivers (needed for low-frequency reproduction using small cones).

To get better bass get a set of Sony Fontopias and check the frequency response on the packet, if it will reproduce 10Hz low end then you’re on to a winner! A half-decent set should set you back about

Posted by Fred on October 21, 2003 at 5:57 AM (CDT)

I had no problems at all installing the updated firmware. I wish I could help out those of you who are.  As a sidenote, has anyone else noticed that it takes them a lot longer to fully charge the battery with the new update?

Posted by dk789 in Houston, TX on October 21, 2003 at 2:33 PM (CDT)

whats the story with the music quiz.
It seems to be odd one out. but all it gives is the possible answers without any idea as to the question. eg

big sur
welcome to the jungle
pissant[]B-side of ch…
P.Y.T (pretty young ...
Authur McBride (New…

can you spot a pattern ?

Posted by jc on October 22, 2003 at 8:52 AM (CDT)

You have to listen to the song it plays and pick which song it is from the list.

Posted by Andy on October 22, 2003 at 6:25 PM (CDT)

guess who feels like a contender for the darwin awards :-’)

Posted by jc on October 23, 2003 at 2:48 AM (CDT)

Anyone notice a contrast setting difference? After the new update, my contrast went way down (it was very dim) and i have to crank up the contrast level almost all the way to get the normal contrast…

Posted by Tim on December 3, 2003 at 5:42 PM (CST)

Just found some more info on the contrast…
Apple says it is a ‘better default contrast setting’  Does it seem better to anyone else?

Posted by Tim on December 3, 2003 at 6:26 PM (CST)

I just installed 2.1 but now my iPod just displays the sonnector icon on the screen when I turn it on. I’ve tried re-connecting it to my machine but now it just says iPod not connected.
Any ideas?

Posted by Phil Nicholls on February 11, 2004 at 12:51 AM (CST)

why dont they have a download for vista

Posted by jb on December 5, 2008 at 3:37 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2