Windows iPod users switching to Mac | iLounge News

Windows iPod users switching to Mac

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, December 27, 2004
News Categories:

In response to an earlier column written about the iPod Halo Effect, The Wall Street Journal has published 27 letters from various iPod, Windows users, or Windows iPod users stating that the iPod or Windows problems is the reason they have switched to the Macintosh platform. One reader wrote, “After receiving an iPod as a gift, I was inspired to research other Apple products. In the last two months I’ve purchased an iMac G5 for my office and an eMac for home, both replacing Windows machines. I’m amazed at the elegance, simplicity and ease of use of these products.”

« Networx BeamDock offers digital iPod-to-stereo wireless audio

Mixed drinks on iPod »

Comments

Oh great, another PC vs. Mac debate…As if this forum needed another.  But while were here… wink

I personally am glad not everyone has a Mac.  Truly.  I think Macs would be what PC’s are today if the roles were reversed.  But because Apple appeals to those who are quality and detail oriented, NOT everybody gets Macs.  Thank God, I think it says more about a person to use a Mac than not.  As far as the ipod goes… I think its a no-brainer that it at least gets people to look at Macs if they haven’t before.  But don’t be confused.  Apple isn’t a perfect company either, but it is certainly the less of two evils.  I’d say that NEITHER company really cares about people, only about profit margins, but at least you’ll get a better product from Apple.  “Now maybe one day UNICEF will get into the computer buisness…”  but until that day, i’ll stick with Apple.

cheers!

Posted by apple juice in USA on December 28, 2004 at 6:29 AM (PDT)

Weasel, what does your iPod not do then? If it doesn’t do something it is supposed to do there is a problem. If it works perfectly, why do you need a firmware update?

I have bought several other music devices from companies other than Apple and none have ever provided anything remotely like a firmware update. If they bring out something better then you simply ditch the old one and buy a new one.

Posted by scgf in UK on December 28, 2004 at 6:40 AM (PDT)

I bought an ipod a few years ago (2nd gen 10gb…right when the Winpods came out), and never considered switching. An MP3 player making me change my entire software/hardware investment from one OS to another? Come on. Maybe if I was considering a new computer at the time I bought the ipod, but then again, after buying an ipod I couldn’t afford to buy a new Mac…. ;p

Some may switch (I know Apple would love to hear a few million more stories like this), but they are probably few and far between.

Posted by jimlat on December 28, 2004 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

27 letters isn’t meant to be a statistical survey, but a glimpse into what people OTHER than the WSJ writers have to say. That’s what letters are.

They mimic what I hear all the time online. The resulting trend IS small. At first…

Posted by Nagromme on December 28, 2004 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

Its funny, when i purchased my Ipod a few months ago. I actually considered purchasing Mac since after some training @ Best Buy, I find them easier to use and my programs that I use (the whole Adobe line and a couple games ) tend to run smoother on them.  As of right now, I have 3 PC and 1 Mac

Posted by ShawnM on December 28, 2004 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

I’m still on the fence.  Once speed and specs improve on the G5s at the same price, (Traditionally, memory and video is in need of an upgrade), I might consider the switch.

Here is a very thorough review by a hardcore PC user that I thought was quite balanced and fair in comparison:

Posted by John97 in Victoria, BC on December 28, 2004 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

i just switched from an alienware to and apple powerbook . so far IT IS GREAT!! I was just getting to many viruses by using a windows system. So far my Apple PB is so much easier to used and does everything as said on the box. So i guess i can say that i once was a UNSATISFIED windows ipod user and have switched to apple and am now VERY HAPPY.

Posted by renegadezx91 in Orange Count, Cali on December 30, 2004 at 8:33 PM (PDT)

I’d have to agrue against the people saying that if more people switched the Mac would be like windows with viruses and such.  I am a windows user, I have no macintosh, but I have tried, numerous times to no avail, to run Darwin.  I have worked off of OS X and the truth behind the matter is OS X is a far less virus prone system because it’s open source based.  If someone malicious finds something and puts it to use, not only do you have the people at Apple working on fixing it, you have anyone who knows what they’re doing trying to fix it as well.  The reason Mac OS X is far better than Winblows, I mean Windows is because it’s based off of open-source software.

Microsh!t believes in security by obescurity.  If they can’t get it at, they can’t find the flaws.  The problem is someone is bound to hack the code.  Hackers look for challenges, if they find one, they’ll take it.  Then they find the major inherent flaws in the programming and Microsoft takes 2 monhs to even acknowledge a problem.

If people would run linux or unix or something of the sort rather than Windows they would not run into the same problems.  The problem lies in the simple fact that people are too lazy to do so.  That would mean they’d have to learn how to work it (which often times is easier than it looks) and they’d have to completely adjust.

I, like I said, am a Windows user.  Merely because this is a multiple person PC I will not use an open-source OS.

Simply put, OS X is a safer enviroment than Windows.

Posted by Aitikin Kystinson on December 30, 2004 at 9:24 PM (PDT)

Virus and Trojans evolve within an epidemiological ecosystem. OSX has very few script kiddies and crackers targetting it because of two reasons: 1) it’s low profile and you get no great cred from it, and 2) it is difficult for infections to spread because the systems are so rare and isolated.

Think about it - you infect a Mac. So what? The chance of finding another Mac within the LAN is negligible. But infect a Windows PC and your chance for a chain reactionis much greater.

In fact the preponderance of viruses on Windows versus Macs is more a reflection of their relative ratios as found in the wild. Were Mac viruses to become more prevalent, I would take this as evidence of an increasing ratio of Macs versus PCs in the wild.

I note that back in the 1980s the first viruses affected initially Apple 2s, then later Macs. This is because at that time they comprised the largest population of networked PCs.

In fact you can model the prevalence of viruses in the wild using something like a Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium (as derived from population genetics). Windows PCs in this case are represented by the p and pq terms, with Macs represented by the homozygous q-squared frequency. Which is of course vanishingly small, and will remain tiny as long as the Mac market share remains tiny.

Posted by Demosthenes on December 30, 2004 at 9:37 PM (PDT)

Twenty-seven letters some places count more than 27 letters other places.  People who read the Wall Street Journal are agenda setters, persons who determine trends.  Furthermore, they tend to be conservative, so it means something when they consider an outlier like Apple.  Some commenters have treated the letters column as if it were an opinion poll.  That misees the point.  The people who wrote those letters self-selected and took the time and energy to do so.  That means their opinions are their own and strongly held.

As for the person who claims to have used Windows for years and never have gotten a virus or worm, I don’t believe that is possible.  More likely, he did not realize he had viruses or worms.  He may have eliminated them with the continunal reinstalls of his Windows software.

Posted by Podesta in Portland, OR on January 1, 2005 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

THey probably got more letters than what they printed.

Posted by wco81 in West Coast on January 1, 2005 at 8:05 PM (PDT)

I am a WinXP user and I’ve had my 30GB 3G iPod since 2003. I bought it at the same time that we purchased an iMac for my wife. I was the one that recommended the Mac for her, a co-worker had used Mac for years and educated me a little about them, and my wife agreed go along with it. She had been a Windows user for years and I must mention that she does not like change. For the first few months she tried to make it work just like Windows and became frustrated with it and me. I was convinced that she would become accustomed to it and ‘learn’ to like it. To put it mildly she disagreed and wanted to take it back. I reminded her why we bought it in the first place. She wanted a quiet PC (the iMac is nearly silent). We have a digital camera and had plans for a digital camcorder, (the iMac and software works seemlessly with them). Most of what she does is on the internet (Safari is much more secure than than IE). She reluctantly agreed and started to be more open to something different.

Of course I couldn’t say it to her but I was convinced that once she no longer had the ‘Windows’ mindset she would like it. Six months after we purchased her iMac she started to sing its praises. Now, two years later I don’t hear any negative remarks and any questions she has, if she can’t find the answer, Apple’s tech support has been great. (We purchased the extended warranty, recommended.)

Someday, I too will be making the switch. I’ve commented to my wife about how I would like a Power Mac G5 and she has put her foot down. Any new Mac that comes into the house she will be getting. LOL! (I had always given her my old system as I upgraded my Windows PC.)

Until that day comes, I will continue to do virus scans and run anti-spyware software every week. A new iBook would be nice.

Posted by Pugsy on January 5, 2005 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

do u know how to restore a ipod shuffle that is found

Posted by tony on November 2, 2006 at 8:28 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2