Windows: iPodLibrary 1.2 Released | iLounge News

Windows: iPodLibrary 1.2 Released

Ever wanted to read your eBooks on an iPod with a Windows machine? Well now you can! The only eBook manager for the iPod to support Microsoft LIT, Adobe PDF, HTML and Text eBooks!

Features:
New features include the ability to only load a certain number of chapters per book, a ‘Book Contents’ page and a much quicker way to load a bunch of chapters before going back and reading them.

License: Freeware
System Requirements: 3G iPod

« iPods and iSkins at the 2004 Grammy Awards

iTMS: Get your 99 cent song of silence »

Comments

Pedlop, most of these comments are from like 3 months ago when it first came out.  Yes it works, and takes like 2 mouse clicks to install wink

Posted by zero on February 8, 2004 at 11:41 PM (PDT)

After installing and using this program I detected a virus in the folder it installed itself.  Anybody else get this or have a response to this?  Until more info is available people should beware!

Posted by Tuan on February 9, 2004 at 8:30 PM (PDT)

Hi Tuan, first of all which file did your scanner report the virus in? What is your antivirus brand?  Im using Norton AntiVirus 2003, (updated weekly) and have never detected any problem.  I have installed iPodLibrary on several computers (including 1 at work where virus scans are done every night, and not once has it found anything suspect).

Maybe your computer has a virus, but I can (as far as is possible) guarantee it was no caused by iPodLibrary.

But of course, as you say, if anyone else has found a virus with a reputable scanner then please let me know and I will of course take it offline.

Its good practice to scan files you get off the net but iPodLibrary 1.2 has been downloaded 2300 times as of right now and no-one else has had any problems.

Jeff

Posted by _zero_ on February 9, 2004 at 9:33 PM (PDT)

I’m also using Norton AntiVirus 2003 with up to date DAT file.  After I installed ipodlibrary and attempted to put a pdf on my ipod.  Norton detected a virus and deleted it.  I believe the file was called tmpPDF.tmp and the file was located in my ipodlibrary folder.  Norton detected the virus as a system password stealer. A virus that steals the system password and emails it to the virus creator.  I forget the exact name of the virus, but it was “unix..” something.  When ipodlibrary was exporting the pdf to my ipod a quick alert box popped up with a message that says.. thank you for purchasing something.. (i dont know the exact wording nor could I read it completely b/c the display was very breif), but the pop up disappears just as fast as it appears.  That alone is suspicious, b/c i did not purchase anything and for ipodlibrary to display this message quickly seems a bit odd.

Posted by Tuan on February 10, 2004 at 7:39 AM (PDT)

thats really weird, because you can see tmpPDF.tmp is not included in the zip file.  Does it keep appearing when you open iPodLibrary or what?

hmm,...about that message, it uses a 3rd party app to convert pdf files to text before putting them on the iPod.  I actually got it from my work where we have it registered.  It is supposed to be installed properly with all the reg settings etc, but I found it also works without being installed.
However it does display a message saying thanks for registering each time (which iPodLibrary closes).

So thats the message, it is supposed to be there (and has been there since v1.0)

Have you tried it on a different computer?

There really is nothing malicious in there!!

Jeff

Posted by _zero_ on February 10, 2004 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

After running the program and doing the conversion it created lots of “tmp” files in the folder where I had my PDF.  I’m not blaming your or your program.  I just wanted to state what happen to me and get some feedback.

It did put the PDF on my ipod.  However, the “next” button doesn’t seem to work on any of the ebooks on my ipod.  I just get the first page of my PDFs.  I only seem to have “Chapter 001” and “Book Contents”.  Should there be more chapters?

Posted by Tuan on February 10, 2004 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

Hi. Should you have more chapters? Depends on the book/file youre importing.  A chapter on the iPod doesnt correspond with pages in book, its simply a 4k block of text.  So if the text in your PDF is less than 4k, then you will only get one chapter, regardless of the number of pages it has.
Occasionally the converter cannot properly convert the PDF, so maybe try importing a different one from a different source.

If none of this does anything useful, you could email me the PDF and I’ll try and import it and see if it works for me.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by _zero_ on February 10, 2004 at 8:52 PM (PDT)

I am totally stumped of how to install this, can anyone give me very detailed instructions??

post, or email me
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Laura on August 31, 2007 at 10:39 PM (PDT)

I can import any pdf created with version 1.3. However any pdf whose properties show a version number higher gets the error message “this file is encrypted.” Is there a fix or am I doing something wrong? Thanks…Russ

Posted by russ on March 3, 2008 at 9:22 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2