Windows: iRemote 1.9 released - customize your iTunes interface | iLounge News

Windows: iRemote 1.9 released - customize your iTunes interface

iRemote allows you to control iTunes through a completely skinnable interface, using global hotkeys, and even a DeskBar which allows you to have the control in your taskbar! It has a keyboard shortcuts manager to make it easier to change keyboard shortcuts. The interface and the way iRemote works can be completely customized through the use of skins.

License: Freeware
System Requirements: Windows

« Free 2004 DNC speeches on iTunes

Update: Apple “stunned” at RealNetworks’ hacker tactics »

Comments

A little more description and screen shots would be nice. This is all very vague.

A took a shot and downloaded it, and it looks promising, but doesn’t appear to work. It puts 3 and a half transparent buttons on the top right of my primary monitor - “i”, play/pause, back, and the first half of next. I think next is cut off because I have a button for “switch to net monitor” there, can’t really fault them for not knowning that.

However, the buttons don’t do anything when I click on them, and when I double click iRemote shuts down.

If I choose Start -> iRemote -> Start iRemote With Default Skin then Explorer opens “C:Documents And Settings(My User NameiTunes”. However, my settings for iTunes are stored on remote drive, on H. It may work if I had my settings files on my C drive.

Has any one else tried it?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 10, 2004 at 12:00 PM (CDT)

Hey, you ned iTunes 4.5 to use it. Do you have that?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 10, 2004 at 5:09 PM (CDT)

Run Time Error ‘11’:

Division by 0
——————
I get that error every time i try to open it, and I’m running iTunes 4.5

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 10, 2004 at 5:27 PM (CDT)

yup, 4.5

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 10, 2004 at 6:19 PM (CDT)

Updated the version to stop division of any value that could be 0, please download and try again.

tbDean : no idea why, PM EvilDude from forums.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 11, 2004 at 12:01 AM (CDT)

The new version works for me. I’m able to move it, so I no longer have over lapping buttons. However, there are two windows and you have to move them independantly, kinda annoying.

Mini Review:

The program is pretty nice. You get four buttons, play/pause, previous, and next are pretty self-explanatory. “i” pops up a little window that shows the current song name along with your iTunes ranking and the current position in the song. That goes away after 5 or 6 seconds. You can rank the song during the 5 seconds, and you can change the position.

The window automatically pops up during each song change.

The windows are just as high as a normal title bar, so they don’t take up any (used) screen real estate.

iRemote.exe uses 8,900 KB of memory.

The default skin is good, you can tell what the buttons are, but they don’t stand up too much.

Okay, well, it appears it’s not quite there. The song just changed and instead of the song name window coming up I got a popup “Error! There was an error in the RunCode procedure:”  iRemote kept running but the buttons stopped responding and iTunes stopped playing the current song. Oh well. I’ll try again with the next version :)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 11, 2004 at 11:01 AM (CDT)

hm..the error doesn’t have a description… I made a new version now that actually shows what error, and some information about what line caused this error. Can you please redownload and tell me what error it was?

PS - for the skin settings (such as transparency amount, how long skin stays up etc) you can change everything! The whole program is configurable but this requires a bit of knowledge of the skin syntax which is in the iSkin Creation.doc in the program files directory.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on June 11, 2004 at 11:08 PM (CDT)

hey i’ve downloaded it, even made a skin for it to make it look like apple’s byte controller for mac, but one problem…. i have ontop activated in the .ini .... but whenever i click the taskbar it goes under it…. it can be solved by turning off that the taskbar is always ontop but i dotn want my maximized windows taking up the whole screen and not being able to click the taskbar… if anyone could help i’d like it please ^^;

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on July 2, 2004 at 1:43 AM (CDT)

just what i was looking for.  thanks!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on July 30, 2004 at 5:53 PM (CDT)

Glad you like the program.
If you have any questions or want to leave comments to me, do so at this forums topic:

Thanks
- Prashant

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on July 30, 2004 at 7:15 PM (CDT)

I can’t get v1.9 to run in the TaskBar…? And I can’t find any options to get it to doso…

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on July 31, 2004 at 4:17 AM (CDT)

when i migrated to iTunes from winamp… this was the plugin i missed most… thanks for making it guys… well done. Mines a bit buggy at times (its bearable) but i understand its the first version so keep up the good work!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on July 31, 2004 at 5:05 AM (CDT)

About the deskbar, it works as long as iTunes is already loaded. Check docs for details information on hwo to get it, a simple rundown though is:
RIght click start bar and then go to the toolbars menu, which allows you to add iRemoteDeskBand.DeskBar.

If you have other problems, could you please describe the problem to me, email is
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

I would like to get all bugs fixed for version 2.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on July 31, 2004 at 7:26 AM (CDT)

what a waste of the 5 seconds it took to download.  worked the first time then just wouldn’t.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on August 1, 2004 at 10:21 AM (CDT)

Great job, I’ve been waiting for something like this.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on August 3, 2004 at 9:06 AM (CDT)

excellent program, ive made about 5 extra skins for it, now i have the right tool for whatever i am doing.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on August 8, 2004 at 8:18 PM (CDT)

oh thank god for someone who made global hotkeys for itunes windows. thank you

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on August 19, 2004 at 7:56 AM (CDT)

This program sucks. Totally not functional.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on October 19, 2004 at 5:40 PM (CDT)

both links are now broken…...

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on November 15, 2004 at 5:06 PM (CST)

iTunes 4.5 is for the mac not for regular computers

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on January 5, 2008 at 2:30 PM (CST)