Windows: iTunes 4.2 Released | iLounge News

Windows: iTunes 4.2 Released

iTunes 4 is the best software jukebox in the world, with a great music store inside. With it, you can create your own personal digital music library to manage and listen to your music collection, all with drag-and-drop simplicity. iTunes encodes high-quality MP3s as well as pristine AAC, all in a free application. If you dont like getting charged a subscription fee or paying for additional features like fast CD burning, your digital music experience is about to get a whole lot better.

What’s new in this version:
iTunes 4.2 allows you to sign in and buy music from the iTunes Music Store using either your AOL or Apple Account, view the iTunes Music Store in a separate window, and includes a number of performance improvements.

License: Freeware
System Requirements:
Windows XP/2000
500 MHz Pentium class processor or better,
QuickTime 6.4 (included)
128 MB RAM minimum/256 RAM recommended
Latest Windows service packs recommended
Supported CD-RW drive to burn CDs, video display card, soundcard
DSL, cable modem, or LAN-based high-speed Internet connection recommended for buying and streaming music

« Apple Releases ‘iTunes Essentials’ Compilations

Mac: iTunes 4.2 Released »

Comments

I just downloaded iTunes for Windows, plugged in my Mac formatted iPod and got the error message:

“An iPod has been detected, but the iPod software is not installed”

Does this mean I can only use Windows iTunes if my iPod is formatted for Windows?!?  If so, that sucks.

Posted by Schnacky on October 16, 2003 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

Just as expected this is far from the best windows app ever made. I would say that calling it a windows app is a fairly big stretch to begin with - looks more like a rushed port supported by a bunch to third-rate UI libraries. The UI is inconsistent at best, not only with Windows conventions, but also with itself! The maximize button actually SHRINKS the jukebox window down to winamp-player size. Double clicking the titlebar replicates the Mac OS (+) button functionality (though no button for this is provided).

Half the controls are Aqua, but here and there Windows native controls will pop up.

At least they ported their nice “glove” cursors.

Posted by levik on October 16, 2003 at 10:19 AM (PDT)

Ya, I called apple and waited forever to get an answer and I did: It has to be formatted for windows.

Posted by bobby Sakaki on October 16, 2003 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

1. it installs newest quicktime… without asking… 2. it loads 3 programs without even itunes up and running.. ( iTouch.exe 4 MB mem, iTunesHelper.exe 4MB mem, and gearsec.exe 1mb(cdburner service). I used iTunes for 10 minutes and it totaly hang. *reboot*.. And btw did I forget? It doesn’t find my iPod!!.. (2gen and works great with echpod every day for the last year). ... Another bug.. resize the iTunes window makes the CPU go 100%.. NICE!.. nee.. iTunes for windows was rushed and therefor it sux bigtime.. to bed because I think it could have been great. Shame on you Apple. Yeah i forgot.. if you retagg a ID3 on a MP3 file it only changes the Tagg Version 2.x taggs NOT the 1.x taggs.. thats just plain bad..

Posted by Runar Pettersen on October 16, 2003 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

how was there ever a question that a mac ipod had to be formatted for windows? it’s a windows program.

Posted by RegalBegal on October 16, 2003 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

So, Apple is going to be working on it? Is that what bobby means? If so, this must be a rushed port of Apple software.

Heck, when I first opened it and added some songs to play, it was using like 90% CPU. I was pissed, and was in the process of sending an e-mail to apple support when it all of a sudden dropped to 2%. I’m not sure what was going on, but I hope it’s not a consistant propblem…

Posted by Ben on October 16, 2003 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

Buy a MAC

Posted by Randy on October 16, 2003 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

My current problem is that I get an error message when I try to go to the music store (we couldn’t complete your request. Not enough memory available. try later”. Well I have 1GB on my win xp pc so memory is not the culprit. maybe it’s the fact that I’m siting in Europe where the music store is not yet available. Someone here experiencing the same problem?

Posted by hhvuong on October 16, 2003 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

I’m a process miser so of course I noticed the extra processes running right away. Even with all these extra processes, iTunes is sloooow. Bah, I’ll stick with Anapod.

Posted by Chad on October 16, 2003 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

Some people just aren’t happy if they are not complaining.

Posted by cmm on October 16, 2003 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

You all just need to relax, I think you were expecting an iTunes that runs like it’s on a Mac OS.  You have to realize that it’s have to deal with and make adjustments for the fact that it wasnt initially designed for Windows.  As far as fomating your ipod to windows, c’mon man! That has nothing to do with iTunes and EVERYTHING to do with Windows.  Windows cant recognize a Mac formated drive. Not gonna happen. However, I use a mac and my iPod is formated in Windows, I can easily go back and forth.  Just format it to Windows and dont worry about it again. Just calm down, it will all be ok.

Posted by Powerbook17 on October 16, 2003 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

no problems what so ever, love it.
nice to see itunes again since i don’t have my mac anymore.
music match was the absolute worst…..trashed
to the bitchers…....piss off
obviously there will be updates at some point, as if any program on all platforms don’t get upgraded

once again: love it & i’m glad it’s on my machine

Posted by jb on October 16, 2003 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

dont come with the stupid “buy a mac” and “itunes is made for mac thats why it sux on windows”.. If they cant make a good port to the windows platform then DONT!. When even my WINDOWS VERSION ipod does not work with it and the software is the worst memory hungry monster program ever.  BTW everyone that complains that it uses 70% cpu power just playing songs, dont. Because it is only sound leveling your MP3’s and that take a long time if you have a lot of music.. And btw i love the interface and all.. but it’s just that its to buggy, loads 4 programs even when its not in use(uses a lot of memory) and does not work well with an ipod.. Lets wait for the 5.0 version.. or even the 8.0 version or something..

Posted by Runar Pettersen on October 16, 2003 at 10:52 AM (PDT)

Does ITunes mess up the ability to also use ephPOD?

Posted by TR on October 16, 2003 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

It says under the installation of iTunes that when you use iTunes you cant use any other program with your ipod.. I cant say for sure because it does not work at all for me..

Posted by Runar Pettersen on October 16, 2003 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

““Important: After installing iTunes 4.1 for Windows, you’ll only be able to transfer music to your iPod using iTunes. To transfer music from MusicMatch Jukebox or Audible Manager to your iPod, you’ll need to first import the music into iTunes. For more information, search iTunes and Music Store Help.”“

Quote from iTunes install program

Posted by Gotta on October 16, 2003 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

Ah, sound leveling. OK, cool. Hey, otherwise it’s kinda nice. I need to learn how to set up playlists on the iPod (I could just drag and drop with ephpod), but otherwise I like it. Let’s just hope it continues to get better.

Oh, and for all you “get a Mac” people, get off your high horse. The iPod is the only thing Apple has going for them right now. This push towards music is what’s going to save them, not their computers.

Posted by Ben on October 16, 2003 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

your all ahead of me, i get an instalation error

Posted by ti on October 16, 2003 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

I am so not a happy camper right now…
I was really exited-especially when they announced that they would be working in tandem with AOL(which kinda restored some of AOL’s lustre).But,I’m kinda irritable-it doesn’t support Windows Me.Why not? I guess you win some…

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on October 16, 2003 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

Ben-
That was a pretty uneducated statement. Their music business is getting Apple noticed, not ‘saved’. If Apple had never come out with the iTMS, Apple would still be doing just fine. Over the past 5 years Apple’s computer products have been gaining big time attention; and though getting Windows users to switch is Apple’s ultimate goal, Apple is doing just fine with their small but sure loyal (and slowly growing) customer basis.

Posted by mongoos150 on October 16, 2003 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 6 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »