Windows: iTunes 4.2 Released | iLounge News

Windows: iTunes 4.2 Released

iTunes 4 is the best software jukebox in the world, with a great music store inside. With it, you can create your own personal digital music library to manage and listen to your music collection, all with drag-and-drop simplicity. iTunes encodes high-quality MP3s as well as pristine AAC, all in a free application. If you dont like getting charged a subscription fee or paying for additional features like fast CD burning, your digital music experience is about to get a whole lot better.

What’s new in this version:
iTunes 4.2 allows you to sign in and buy music from the iTunes Music Store using either your AOL or Apple Account, view the iTunes Music Store in a separate window, and includes a number of performance improvements.

License: Freeware
System Requirements:
Windows XP/2000
500 MHz Pentium class processor or better,
QuickTime 6.4 (included)
128 MB RAM minimum/256 RAM recommended
Latest Windows service packs recommended
Supported CD-RW drive to burn CDs, video display card, soundcard
DSL, cable modem, or LAN-based high-speed Internet connection recommended for buying and streaming music

« Apple Releases ‘iTunes Essentials’ Compilations

Mac: iTunes 4.2 Released »

Comments

Does this software work with other handhelds Windows, such as iRiver or Neuros? Or is it limited to iPods? In my household there are now six (!) different brands of handheld.

And does the streaming work cross-platform. That is, can Windows iTunes Client slave off MacOSX Servers, or vica versa? If it does, that’s pretty cool! All we need then is a Linux port…

What codecs does it support? Does it do video? Does it support LAME?

I will download it tonight and see how it measures against Media Center 9.

I hear iTunes is a memory hog so I’ll be interested to see if it can handle 600GB and 100K+ mp3s. I’ve tried iTunes on MacOSX and it just dies during the import process.

Posted by MC9 on October 16, 2003 at 2:30 PM (CDT)

Powerbook17:

So a Windows formatted iPod works seamlessly on a Mac?  No loss of functionality?

Posted by Schnacky on October 16, 2003 at 2:31 PM (CDT)

My only problem is I tried quitting it with APPLE Q :)

Posted by BanjoMan on October 16, 2003 at 2:54 PM (CDT)

How does iTunes Win affect the eu volume control issue? Can you now boost the volume?
Do programs like Espen’s euPod still work?
What’s the rollback if I don’t like iTunes?

Posted by Chris Matchett on October 16, 2003 at 3:07 PM (CDT)

I love it.
Simply awesome.

Maybe not as good as on OS X, but still good.
Only downside is that it uses 32 mb of memory :/
Well well.

With firmwire 2.1 and iTunes 4.1 for Win my iPod is even better =)

Posted by Erty on October 16, 2003 at 3:29 PM (CDT)

iTunes works fine for me, its pretty much identical to the Mac version and it identified my iPod automatically, this was all I wanted and its what I got. Good Job Apple!

Posted by rsacer on October 16, 2003 at 3:36 PM (CDT)

Very annoyed it installed QT v6.4!!! I NEED v5 for my Sony mmv editing software - now that doesn’t work. Thanks Apple.

Posted by lead on October 16, 2003 at 3:59 PM (CDT)

iTunes doesn’t work with Windows ME?  Or am I misinterpreting some of these posts?

Posted by SPM on October 16, 2003 at 4:32 PM (CDT)

Wow… with all these comments (both positive and negative) I’m very anxious to give the Windows version of iTunes a test drive. Using my G5 at work I Just downloaded it and saved it on my iPod to take home. I gotta wonder, with all of you technically saavy people who made the $299+ committment, and are complaining about iTunes being a memory hog, why not make another $100 commitment and buy another ram module for your slow computer?

Posted by Derek on October 16, 2003 at 4:37 PM (CDT)

mongoos150,
I totally agree with you in the fact that their customers are loyal. That’s great. Apple has a niche market, but I haven’t seen it going anywhere but down for some time now. And yes, their computers do get them attention, but thats about it. Since early 2000, apple stocks have gone from around $75 to $23 today. That is not good. But, the good news is that it has been pretty constant for the past 3 years. And yeah, the music side of all this may not save them, but it sure is their best bet for some much needed growth and market expansion. I hope they can take advantage of it, as I don’t see their desktop market taking big strides.

Posted by Ben on October 16, 2003 at 4:52 PM (CDT)

I read the info from the iTunes installation screen.  My question is, does iTunes kibosh the use of Ephpod.  Ephpod is not musicmatch or Audible Manager.  Has anyone uesed the new iTunes and was using Ephpod before?  Please let me know.  Thanks

Posted by TR on October 16, 2003 at 5:28 PM (CDT)

I’m loving the Smart Playlists :D

Apple did an amazing job with iTunes 4.1

Posted by noname on October 16, 2003 at 5:42 PM (CDT)

Works like a Champ! All is well in the world now that iTunes has arrived for Windows!

Posted by NeoSoul Lover in San Diego, Ca on October 16, 2003 at 6:55 PM (CDT)

Why does this not work with Windows ME?

Considering ME was released after 2000 was.

Posted by ohshi on October 16, 2003 at 8:03 PM (CDT)

So - waiting for a report from ephPod users on what happens after you use the iPod with iTunes 4.1 on windows…

Anyone tried a windows-formatted iPod on a mac with iTunes 4.1?

Posted by Pete C on October 16, 2003 at 8:04 PM (CDT)

I get an Error message in the iTuens Music Store. Whenever I open it it says : “we couldn’t complete your request. Not enough memory available. try later”. WHAT the hell is this? I have 512 MB of 400mhz DDR ram and it says this. How do i fix this?

Posted by bobby Sakaki on October 16, 2003 at 10:13 PM (CDT)

Posted by bobby Sakaki on October 16, 2003 at 10:14 PM (CDT)

ohshi itunes only works with NT based OSes, witch is Win2k and WinXP, it doesent work with Win9x based and yes windows ME is windows 95 based, its an update to an update to an update, its one of the worst OSes microsoft has ever released, I would take Win98SE or Win2k/XP anyday of the week, and I just think that apple not supporting thier first adopters of there hardwear is a bad idea, Ihave a 1st gen 10gb iPod, I dont have the money to spend on a new one just to have it functinal under this new iTunes for windows, and I dont want to format it just because they wernsmart enugh to include a win mac file reader…. BLAH

Posted by Judd Sandage on October 17, 2003 at 1:52 AM (CDT)

iTunes works fine with XPlay if you download a patch from the XPlay website at http://download.mediafour.com/xplay/XPlay_reg_patch_for_iTunes4.1.reg

Posted by cmm on October 17, 2003 at 3:48 AM (CDT)

Man this is gay man. i downloaded itunes for windows. and for soem weird ass reason ti delted all my fuckn songs off my ipod. all of them. im pissed. but w/e

Posted by Dammit on October 17, 2003 at 5:37 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 6 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›