Windows: iTunes 4.2 Released | iLounge News

Windows: iTunes 4.2 Released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, December 18, 2003
News Categories: Windows Software

iTunes 4 is the best software jukebox in the world, with a great music store inside. With it, you can create your own personal digital music library to manage and listen to your music collection, all with drag-and-drop simplicity. iTunes encodes high-quality MP3s as well as pristine AAC, all in a free application. If you dont like getting charged a subscription fee or paying for additional features like fast CD burning, your digital music experience is about to get a whole lot better.

What’s new in this version:
iTunes 4.2 allows you to sign in and buy music from the iTunes Music Store using either your AOL or Apple Account, view the iTunes Music Store in a separate window, and includes a number of performance improvements.

License: Freeware
System Requirements:
Windows XP/2000
500 MHz Pentium class processor or better,
QuickTime 6.4 (included)
128 MB RAM minimum/256 RAM recommended
Latest Windows service packs recommended
Supported CD-RW drive to burn CDs, video display card, soundcard
DSL, cable modem, or LAN-based high-speed Internet connection recommended for buying and streaming music

« Apple Releases ‘iTunes Essentials’ Compilations

Mac: iTunes 4.2 Released »

Comments

If I were looking at iTunes as a WinAmp or MusicMatch user, it would probably seem absolutely amazing. But although it’s a pretty nice app and reasonably powerful, I’m pretty sure I won’t switch over from Media Jukebox, which I’ve been using for the last couple of years, because iTunes’ playlist management is a lot less powerful than I’m used to.

MJ has had the “make a playlist out of query parameters” feature for years, but takes it further: you can define custom fields in the database and search on them (though to be fair, iTunes already includes the things I used those custom fields for.) More importantly, its notion of (non-dynamic) playlists is much more flexible—you can use a song’s presence on a static playlist as a query parameter for a smartlist. I’ve come to think of playlists as a way of attaching attributes to songs. It’s a much more flexible, nuanced way to represent things like genre, where multiple values can easily apply to a song.

How is that useful? Well, for example, I have a playlist of background music for dinner parties. If I’m serving Mexican food one night, I can whip up a quick smartlist that says, “Play all the songs on both the Dinner playlist and the Latin playlist.” Or better, if I decide I only want instrumental pieces, “Play all the songs on both the Dinner playlist and the Latin playlist, except ones on the Has Lyrics playlist.”

As far as I can tell, other than putting lists of keywords in the Comments field and doing string searches, there’s no way to do flexible user-data-driven queries like that in iTunes. You can add a song to a playlist, but the playlist is a data sink—you can’t leverage it for anything else. (If I’m wrong about that, please clue me in!)

MJ also has a robust plugin interface for audio codecs, rip/burn capability, a built-in sound editor if you want to make a mix CD with fancy effects, ReplayGain support (same as iTunes’ volume leveling), and supports downloading to a variety of portable MP3 players. The latest incarnation can also manage libraries of video files.

Other than the selection at the iTunes Store, I don’t see a single thing iTunes gives me that I haven’t already been enjoying for years with my existing software.

Posted by MJ on October 17, 2003 at 2:37 PM (PDT)

I’m over in europe and I waited till it was midnight so i could download iTunes for Windows. It’s a nice program to use, managed to install it without any issues, but to say it’s the best jukebox…hmmm, I don’t know. I was using MusicMatch before and there are some features that I find missing in iTunes.
1) There is option to add a Tempo or Mood column in the Library window. In MusicMatch, I could add whether a song was fast or slow or moderate and so create a playlist for different moods. Yes, I could write something in the comment section, but that’s time cnsuming.

Maybe in a future release of iTunes, Apple could add something like this. Maybe in a similar way to the stars. Like in Windows Media Player. Not that I like that program, but if you would be able to click in that column of a song and then have about 5 options to choose from or the option in the edit details of the tag information.

2) Another option is to be able to right-click on a song and choose, “Add to playlist…”. This option is not available.

Apart from that, I’ve not encountered any issues with iTunes…...I’m only missing the iPod manager, or does this get uninstalled after iTunes is installed?

Posted by twum on October 17, 2003 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

I downloaded iTunes and I absolutely love it except for one thing: it doesn’t realize when I make changes to files from outside iTunes.

I plug in my iPod to use XPlay, ephPod, MusicMatch, etc. and these program will automatically syncronize its library with the folder where I store my music. Then it will take its correctly syncronized library and put the files on my iPod. iTunes does not syncronize its library with the music folder on my computer and this is frustrating.

For example, I use MusicMatch to import a CD into my music folder. iTunes won’t recognize that there are new files. Even worse, I choose to delete files from my music folder. iTunes will only recognize that the file is missing when it attempts to play the file or transfer the file. And even then it doesn’t remove the link from the library.

File management is way too different from what I am used to. I like to use Windows explorer to organize my files, not iTunes.

Until apple decides to conform to standards and offer what every other music program out there offers, a library that syncronizes with a folder on your computer, I choose to stick with XPlay.

Posted by Name on October 19, 2003 at 7:08 PM (PDT)

“Another option is to be able to right-click on a song and choose, “Add to playlist…”. This option is not available.”

I’m surprised that this option is unavailable in iTunes. I was going to download iTunes but after seeing so many negative reviews and hearing it doesn’t play well with other software on one’s PC, I’ve decided to wait for a patch update.

Anyway, what option is there within iTunes to add a library item to a Playlist. In Media Center,  can click the left button (or double click) to do the default Playlist add, or hit the right button for these options:

Playlist - Create
Playlist - Add to Playlist
Playlist - Select

Play
Add to Playing Now
Add (to beginning)
Add (as next to play)
Add (play now)
Add (shuffled)
Add (shuffle all)
Replace (shuffled)
Remove

Posted by MC9 on October 19, 2003 at 8:22 PM (PDT)

up till itunes for windows came out i used ephpod only. it worked fine!! the memory didnt really affect me, and i have only 256!
i did have the problem of non-distributed files and long filenames, which i understand is fixed by 4.1.1. i cant say right now, cause im downloading (56k :( ) i jsut hope i dont lose my play counts and ratings

btw, about what someone said about a winpod working flawlessly with a mac: im not so sure! whenever i connected my ipod to my mac it screwed it up, and i needed a restore. i’m scared to do try and connect it now, though now i believe the problem may have been something as simple as it auto-syncing, thus wiping out my ipod’s DB (no itunes library on my mac)

Posted by hudgie on October 22, 2003 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

This is my question, what about tagging mp3 files. Does Itunes have that capability, like MusicMatch that searches the net, and updates your mp3 tags for you?

Posted by devastor on October 22, 2003 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

devastator—no.

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on October 22, 2003 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

How do you do that devistator?

Posted by systimax on October 22, 2003 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

i dont think iv seen a reply to a question that Pete C asked. I have been using iTunes with ephpod on and off just fine. not sure why i have, but it works. as for people havin memory problems, i think you need a better computer, as my proccesor doesnt go above 10% at max. however, it cannot import my 26 gb collection which is pretty lame, folder by folder is how i’m gona do it now

Posted by silver_haze20 on October 22, 2003 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

Does this new update fix the memory problems.
I finally had to uninstall it because wheni try to rip a cd it would take forever. Like try 15 to 20 minutes to rip one song.

And when you would play songs in the library it would take maybe a couple of minutes to paly another track.

I think 96% cpu usage might have something to do with it.

I’m running 2.6ghz with 512 ram which is more than enough

Posted by scrins on October 22, 2003 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

Scrins, that’s completly bull man. I’m on a 1800+ xp with 512 ram and iTunes runs FLAWLESS on my system.

Tracks actually fade into the next (it’s a setting you can turn off) so there is no delay inbetween songs.

Also, if it takes 15 to 20 to rip a song you might to check to make sure it’s not a problem with your system (ie cd-rom, harddrive,virus)

Posted by noname on October 22, 2003 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

bunch of useless rants that gets you no where… and I love people ask stupid questions before you actually used it to it’s full potential like:

now, which is quicker? drag and drop or right-click and look for an option, then type in where / and what you wanna do with your song?

get a clue, bunch of losers

Posted by HAHA on October 22, 2003 at 7:46 PM (PDT)

Derek:

why should people have to invest in more ram to listen to music? Apple is all about user-friendliness. Just because they want to chrome up the design, add useless features and hire horrible coders means people need to upgrade their boxes?

Sorry not everyone has a UBER-1337 G5 box.

Sometimes people are too loyal to one company. iTunes has to be one of the most over-hyped apps in a few years. Next to Norton and Windows XP.

Anyways, take it away flamers.

Posted by Stasyna on October 22, 2003 at 8:07 PM (PDT)

What codecs does it support? Does it do video? Does it support LAME?

What a ....

LAME = MP3.

of course it supports MP3. No video. it is after all iTUNES.

Posted by WTF on October 22, 2003 at 8:09 PM (PDT)

Stasyna

“why should people have to invest in more ram to listen to music?”

Why do you have to buy music to listen to music? Why do you have to buy petrol to run your car? why do you have to wear more clothes in winter? why do you… you get the idea.

It’s not Apple restricting you to listen to music, it’s your second-rated hardware that needs twicking and constant whining to get it going.

Posted by HAHA on October 22, 2003 at 8:51 PM (PDT)

No Name
No it’s not BS
I did a clean install of Xp before i installed xp .
New HD CD burns fine with CD/ex
Check the boards
I’m not the only one that is mentioning iTunes high usage of system resources.

Cracks me up when guys who have 1,024 ram say it runs fine .
Yeah I’ll add more ram just to run a juke box app…..right

Posted by Scrins on October 23, 2003 at 2:55 AM (PDT)

Scrins - there is something else going on in your computer to have those issues.  I’m running it on my 833ghz, 384ram and I haven’t experienced any of the problems you mentioned…

Posted by murf on October 23, 2003 at 3:04 AM (PDT)

Scrins

“Yeah I’ll add more ram just to run a juke box app…..right ” + “I did a clean install of Xp before i installed xp” = “twicking and constant whining” x “high usage of system resources”

love your work though brotha, one day you’ll understand (how to really fix da real problem)

Posted by HAHA on October 23, 2003 at 3:16 AM (PDT)

I’m sure I can top all of you complainers - I have 184 MB RAM, on a 533 MHZ AMD K-6, and I have no problems playing music on iTunes.

Posted by AquaHell on October 23, 2003 at 5:16 AM (PDT)

About how older machines perform, I have a 512MB RAM, 600Mhz PIII, using XP SP1, and I rip a CD to AAC 224Kbps in about 15 minutes (about 3x using error checking). Playblack CPU use is ok, around 5-8%, although it uses more CPU than Winamp3. Copying files to the iPod feels a bit faster than EphPod, but since you don’t see the speed rate, I can’t say for sure.

And while iTunes UI is a bit sluggish on my system (600Mhz is barely over their minimun requeriments), it works well and I haven’t had a problem with it yet.

I will try 4.1.1 when I get home tonite smile

Posted by aromanos on October 23, 2003 at 5:46 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 6 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last »