Windows: iTunes 4.2 Released | iLounge News

Windows: iTunes 4.2 Released

iTunes 4 is the best software jukebox in the world, with a great music store inside. With it, you can create your own personal digital music library to manage and listen to your music collection, all with drag-and-drop simplicity. iTunes encodes high-quality MP3s as well as pristine AAC, all in a free application. If you dont like getting charged a subscription fee or paying for additional features like fast CD burning, your digital music experience is about to get a whole lot better.

What’s new in this version:
iTunes 4.2 allows you to sign in and buy music from the iTunes Music Store using either your AOL or Apple Account, view the iTunes Music Store in a separate window, and includes a number of performance improvements.

License: Freeware
System Requirements:
Windows XP/2000
500 MHz Pentium class processor or better,
QuickTime 6.4 (included)
128 MB RAM minimum/256 RAM recommended
Latest Windows service packs recommended
Supported CD-RW drive to burn CDs, video display card, soundcard
DSL, cable modem, or LAN-based high-speed Internet connection recommended for buying and streaming music

« Apple Releases ‘iTunes Essentials’ Compilations

Mac: iTunes 4.2 Released »

Comments

Has anyone had trouble setting up an iTunes Store account?  I can’t get past the licensing agreement; it keeps saying the network is busy.  Is it really that busy or is something on my end wrong (like my firewall-though I gave iTunes permission)

Thanks

Posted by Nuclear Monk on October 24, 2003 at 1:14 AM (CDT)

XP 2100 and 256MB of PC3200 Corsair.  This behemoth takes a crapload of memory.

Posted by tetro on October 26, 2003 at 9:52 PM (CST)

“now, which is quicker? drag and drop or right-click and look for an option, then type in where / and what you wanna do with your song?”

HAHA you’re a moron and seemingly incapable of reading what I wrote. There is a *default* double-click action (that is configurable) and a swathe of selectable, customizable option-click choices.

That’s what non-Apple software and a two-button mouse design gives you: choice, configurability, and personalization.

If you don’t understand that then you can’t even see the bars of your user interface prison.

And don’t even get me started on how iTunes mangles mp3 directory names. I havea friend with 25,000 vinyl rips of Euro electronica that has had his masterful organization-by-label-and-catalog-number system destroyed by iTunes.

That wouldn’t happen with MC9… unless you told it to do that. See, that’s the difference. There is a default behavior (change nothing) and a range of selectable behaviors (including the moronic iTunes re-arrange by artist name simple option). Again, it’s about choice.

Posted by MC9 on October 27, 2003 at 6:40 PM (CST)

scrins- check to see if you have the error correct the cd option set on the import prefrences.

This multiply checks the data on the CD to make sure it doesn’t introduce errors into the music. It is slow, but it is good for scratched and dirty CD’s.  In general use it is way too slow.

So where is the review of 4.1.1, does it fix some of the problems people are seeing?

Posted by bucky on November 6, 2003 at 7:50 AM (CST)

from what i’ve read here and from my own experience, i’ll be passing on this download.

winamp 5, even if it does have a “subscription for additional features,” has by far the better media experience, as well as speed and flexibility to boot.

i’ll be sticking with ephPod too, for my ipod. that’s one wonderful piece of software

Posted by eric on December 18, 2003 at 12:46 PM (CST)

didnt even have time to read all the rpevious comments, all i noticed new was this, aside from the aol thing:

there is now a maximize button, and no mini-mode button. thus to fill the whole screen, you dont need to drag, but to get the mini mode, you need to press ctrl+m.
there is also a new ‘convert id3 tags’ i think its new at least
there’s a link to apple.com/itunes/hottips, which believe it or not gives hot tips.
there may be more, but i’ve been using it for all of two minutes

Posted by mhz on December 18, 2003 at 1:25 PM (CST)

Do NOT run iTunes 4.2 with the iTunes SideKick 1.2.0 plug-in!  BSOD!!

Other than that, awesome update!  The maximize button works as it should now!!!!

Posted by azdude_15gb on December 18, 2003 at 1:39 PM (CST)

Anyone out there try 4.2 yet?  I’m wondering what the other ‘performance improvements’ are.

Posted by me on December 18, 2003 at 2:36 PM (CST)

nevermind, I didn’t realize there were 2 pages of comments when I originally posted.

the maximize thing bugged me.  I download it just for that!

Posted by me on December 18, 2003 at 2:42 PM (CST)

I wonder what the performance improvements are. The UI still resizes windows slowly.

Posted by Andy on December 18, 2003 at 3:09 PM (CST)

This habit of grouping old comments for apps is really stupid.

Posted by Albert on December 18, 2003 at 3:44 PM (CST)

another itunes release they should release a firmware update for the ipod instead maybe a slightly longer battery life and fix a few bugs too. Itunes is fine as it is

Posted by v4 on December 18, 2003 at 4:13 PM (CST)

waoh, thats mad! i only have 1.2ghz, 256 ram and i do admit not above 10% was an exageration but my computer is never slowed by runnin itunes, nor play cds or rip them, everything seems to be flawless on my computer…im not complaining

Posted by silver_haze20 on December 18, 2003 at 4:23 PM (CST)

Well i haven’t had ANY problems with iTunes since its version version release. One positive thing i’ve seen with 4.2 is that it starts up faster than version 4.1.1. I like it.

I hope the rest of you experiencing problems with iTunes will have them resolved. It really is a nice program, even if it is a resource hog. I like the AAC encoding.

Posted by ILoveMusic on December 18, 2003 at 4:29 PM (CST)

I have SideKick running, and iTunes is running fine…

Posted by Andy on December 18, 2003 at 4:58 PM (CST)

A firmware update would be welcome, however, I doubt one will be released anytime soon as the iTunes update was done only to facilitate a change in Quicktime, from version 6.4 to 6.5, and the integration of AOL users into the music store. The other updates are few and Apple probably just threw them in for those of us who found quirks in the program which we wanted to see updated.

Posted by rsacer on December 18, 2003 at 6:01 PM (CST)

skooterkool, if you use alt-F4 it will do the same thing. And, from what i can tell, if you format the ipod for windows, it will work on mac and windows machines.

Posted by iBookiPod on December 18, 2003 at 6:15 PM (CST)

I guess some people just love to complain about everything. I have had no problems with iTunes for Windows. I love the music store, program runs flawlessly. I could not be more happy. I love music and it has allowed me to freely explore more music than I ever have been able to before. Thanks mac!

Posted by alex on December 18, 2003 at 7:58 PM (CST)

They fixed the comments bug. Now if you change only the comments, changes on your iPod will be made. Perfect for those of us who use the comments for Smart Lists!

Posted by Andy on December 18, 2003 at 8:25 PM (CST)

“mongoos150,
I totally agree with you in the fact that their customers are loyal. That’s great. Apple has a niche market, but I haven’t seen it going anywhere but down for some time now. And yes, their computers do get them attention, but thats about it. Since early 2000, apple stocks have gone from around $75 to $23 today. That is not good. But, the good news is that it has been pretty constant for the past 3 years. And yeah, the music side of all this may not save them, but it sure is their best bet for some much needed growth and market expansion. I hope they can take advantage of it, as I don’t see their desktop market taking big strides.”

Ben,

That may be true, but Microsoft also saw a big decline since 2000 At the beginning of 2000 Microsoft stock was around $60 and it dropped, consistently over the last 3 years to about $23 too!...as did many other comapny’s stock prices, hence the recession.

Posted by thrice on December 18, 2003 at 8:57 PM (CST)

Page 4 of 6 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >