Windows: iTunes SideKick v1.2.0 Released | iLounge News

Windows: iTunes SideKick v1.2.0 Released

The iTunes SideKick plug-in adds several enhancements to iTunes for Windows, including Always on Top, Minimize to System Tray, Opacity Adjustment of Mini Mode window and more.

What’s new in this version:
1. Always on Top (mini mode window)
2. Minimize to System Tray
3. Current Artist and Song Name in Systray ToolTip
4. Opacity Adjustment of Mini Mode window
5. New About Window.
6. Show in system Tray Only (Mini Mode)

Please read the Readme.txt for installation instructions.. They are very straight foward.. You simply put the .dll into the Plug-Ins dir.. Anyways..

WARNING:
Please remove any other “Always on Top” Mods/Plugins you may have before running iTunes with this plugin.. Who knows what will happen.. hehe..

WARNING:
Please make sure that you have “Show in System Tray” in the iTunes Advanced option menu checked.

Ok well thats it, Download Away… Report any bugz..

REQUEST:
I provide this plug-in for free and host it on my server for free.. I will never charge for one of my iTunes mods but I would like to request that if you can, please donate some money to me thru PayPal… Every little bit helps…

License: Freeware
System Requirements: Windows

« Washington Post: MP3 Players to Rival Pricier iPod

Save 15% at Javoedge on all accessories »

Comments

Re: ZIP/RAR/ACE etc.

It’s not a matter of which compression format works best.  It’s a matter of convenience and standards.

The simple fact is that ZIP is the de facto standard.  Enough so that Microsoft built support for it into Windows XP.  Therefore functionality is far closer to transparent for a LOT of people.  People who might use a ‘broad population’ device like iTunes/iPods but wouldn’t be bothered to download and understand additional programs.

So… if you want to make a smaller section of your audience happy, use any niche compression format you like.  But if you want to reach a far broader audience, then you remove as many obstacles as possible.

Posted by john on December 8, 2003 at 11:40 AM (CST)

> “Buggier”? Uh, yeah. To say the least.

I installed Media Center and it was buggy. Then I uninstalled, reinstalled DirectX, and followed their install instructions. I haven’t had a crash in weeks. Which is more than I can say for iTunes on my boyfriend’s PC.

> Want to record, transcode, blah blah blah?

I think you’re not understanding what this means. It’s got nothing to do with sequencing or making music.

I use transcoding with Media Center and with my PVR card (ATI AIW 9800).

Basically, it records what you tell it to record, sound or movies. Then when you want to listen or watch something over the network, it downsamples the recording on-the-fly and streams it to the program at your PC.

So I can watch or listen to stuff at variable quality depending on my connection.

You can also set up transcoding profiles for different devices. So for example if I am going jogging my iRiver has limited storage space so when I copy audio over it gets automatically downsampled to 96K, but when I copy the same files to the iPod they only get downsampled to 160K (I store everything on the server at 224K).

I don’t think I’d ever call Media Center a failure. It succeeds at doing a hell of a lot more then iTunes (which has its own problems on PCs), and for some of the most advanced stuff, it’s still working out the bugs. But it’s rapidly evolving - and I like the way I can email the Media Center designers and get a personal response back almost immediately. WHen I email Apple with bugs it seems like they get sucked into some huge black hole.

Posted by Lorien on December 8, 2003 at 12:41 PM (CST)

Lorien,

I understand. I’ve used MC9 and it’s a fine app. I’m just jerking chains here.

In my opinion, though, iTunes and MC9 are Apples and Oranges. iTunes does not endeavor to do the many things that MC9 does, and likewise MC9 will never achieve the simple yet complete integration between the iPod, your personal music library, and the iTunes Music Store.

What version of iTunes is your boyfriend on? I have it installed on a few Wintel machines - and several Macs - and while Windows is by its nature less stable and more buggy - I haven’t had any issues at all with iTunes for Windows, even under what I would consider heavy usage.

Incidentally, it is remarkable that we’re even comparing the first iteration of a free product (iTunes for Windows) to a very mature product for which a fee must be paid.

Posted by Atomic Bomb on December 8, 2003 at 2:34 PM (CST)

I use Media Centre to listen to my music while I am in work. It plays out the songs and lowers their bitrate to 96 Kbps so my ADSL can keep up I l love it because it means I don’t even need to carry anything to work to play my music - no songs on company disks allowed!

I use to use itunes but then Apple disabled the Internet sharing (different netowkrs in work from home) and besdies although most of my music is 128 Kbps itunes didn’t lower bitrate so I would often get pauses and silence. If anyoine has a patch to get itunes to share over internet again please tell me?! Also if it can lower bitrate that would be good maybe I am just missing it or something maybe there’s a hidden menu?

Can this Anapod software do this?

Posted by NeutronBomb on December 8, 2003 at 2:40 PM (CST)

Excuse me for getting back to the subject.

I downloaded the FREE unRAR utility:

And installed the Plug-in. It works as advertised. The good news for the skeptic is that uninstalling it is as simple as deleting the DLL file from the plug-ins directory.

Good job! Thanks for such a neat add-on!

Posted by iTunesFan on December 9, 2003 at 1:28 AM (CST)

This is the best thing since sliced bread. No doubt. I love it!

Posted by Zach on December 9, 2003 at 4:42 PM (CST)

azdude, that whitecap plug in is incredible!

Posted by huggies on December 9, 2003 at 9:59 PM (CST)

I love it.  Especially how each vis transitions creatively into the next.  Perhaps I should post a seperate news item for WhiteCap.

Posted by azdude_15gb on December 9, 2003 at 11:09 PM (CST)

Awesome little plugin mate! Well done! Works like a treat and is not a resource hog.

Posted by frombrosis on December 11, 2003 at 2:39 PM (CST)

how do you access the menu for the settings? i can seem to find it. i’ve been right clicking everywhere.

Posted by SDC on December 17, 2003 at 1:52 PM (CST)

Right click on the TOP of the Main Menu of the Full-size window.  (i.e. where it says “iTunes”)

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on December 17, 2003 at 4:31 PM (CST)

Sidekick v1.2.0 is incompatible with iTunes 4.2. If mini-mode is active, clicking on the restore (middle) button causes a segmentation fault, bringing up Windows’ “Blue Screen of Death”. The system automatically reboots and all the iTunes settings are lost. :(

Posted by iPoder on December 18, 2003 at 9:29 PM (CST)

Anyone have problems with the Sidekick plugin after installing iTunes 4.2? I found that while the “minimize to tray” function was unaffected, whenever I tried Mini-mode, my system crashed (Windoze XP).

Posted by Faturnicus on December 18, 2003 at 11:18 PM (CST)

Sidekick v1.2.0 is incompatible with the iTunes 4.2. If mini-mode is active, clicking the restore (middle) button to go back to full mode causes a segmentation fault in Windows 2000 [blue screen of death], and the system reboots. Also, all iTunes library settings are lost. I found this out the hard way :( Could this be addresses in a future version of Sidekick?

Posted by iPoder on December 19, 2003 at 7:23 AM (CST)

well this is the best plugin in around and i love it but with the new iTunes 4.2 it has a bit of a glitch…is there a new version coming or something that can be fixed

Posted by rivlinm on December 22, 2003 at 7:53 PM (CST)

hey i love this plugin but are there any ideas of when a new version will be released for iTunes 4.2 cause as of now it crashes my computer every time i go between mini mode and full mode.

i hope one comes out i love the opaque feature

tell me what you know

Posted by matthew rivlin on December 26, 2003 at 9:25 PM (CST)

the plug-in is crashing my winxp pro (itunes 4.2) on switching from mini-mode back to full-mode (both my desktop & notebook) for the rest it’s great but useless for the moment

Posted by mr C on January 2, 2004 at 8:44 AM (CST)

One of features listed for this version at the site is:

Write current song info to text file

Does anyone know where this file gets written to? Or what it’s called? Thanks!

Posted by paradisecowgirl on January 4, 2004 at 5:12 PM (CST)

havent you people ever heard of pirating???  astalavista.box.sk and search winRAR… youll get what u want… trust me

Posted by mevcxv on January 5, 2004 at 12:36 AM (CST)

um…I can’t download the file, says it’s not available. Any help would be awesome, I wanna check out the plug-in

Posted by tmazon on May 3, 2004 at 7:48 PM (CDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >