Windows: K-pod 0.95 (sync email to iPod) released | iLounge News

Windows: K-pod 0.95 (sync email to iPod) released

A Windows application that directly syncs your Inbox with your iPod (without the need for an e-mail client such as Outlook).

What’s new in this version:

Note: Version 0.95 is a mandatory upgrade from previous versions.

• Solves all major security issues (NEW)
  • Minor bug fixes (NEW)
  • Supports IMAP and POP e-mail accounts
  • The ability to save the username / password / server / drive information for easy access
  • Downloads all the e-mails from your Inbox to your iPod (makes a folder titled “Mail” under “Notes”)
  • All the e-mails are named according to their e-mail number and the person who sent it for example, if I was the first person to e-mail you, the filename would appear as “1 .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
  • An index file titled “.index” is made, which gives you the status of your Inbox —includes how many total messages you have, and how many of those messages are recent / unread / deleted —includes hyperlinks to your unread messages
  • Incredibly simple to use
  • Works with all iPods v2.0+

License: Freeware
System Requirements: Windows

Comments

I can’t get it to work.  Keep getting a runtime error.

Posted by dave on February 26, 2004 at 12:04 PM (CST)

Check the following:
- Is it an IMAP account?
- Is your iPod accessible as an external drive? (This can take a few seconds after plugging your iPod in)

If it still doesn’t work, let me know. I’d like to figure out why it doesn’t work for you.

Posted by k-deep on February 26, 2004 at 12:17 PM (CST)

looks good but I haven’t tried it because my ipod isn’t plugged in most of the time.  if anyone else has the 1G or 2G, and wants to read their inbox, all you have to do is highlight all the messages in outlook and click save as.  It’ll dump it all into a text file and you can sync that.  I’m sure better email clients have this feature as well.

Posted by hamp on February 26, 2004 at 12:23 PM (CST)

First let me say that this is possibly one of the most usefull and awesome programs for the ipod.  I’d be willing to pay for a program that could synch pop, imap, and web based mail, as well as synching multiple acounts of various sorts.

Posted by pop and http email user on February 26, 2004 at 6:59 PM (CST)

actually if this kind of functionality was built into a program such as weather for me or google get - or better yet - one program that would combine all three and not truncate any mail, news or weather - now that would be worth paying for.

Posted by pop and http email user on February 26, 2004 at 7:03 PM (CST)

I’m working on adding weather/news features to k-pod and on fixing the truncation problem. Those features should be done really soon (in addition to saving the settings to the iPod). I still have to investigate the possibility of supporting pop and web-based mail, though I’m not quite sure how feasible that is. My main concern in adding features is that I don’t want to overload the interface, so don’t expect to see anything too involved.

Posted by k-deep on February 26, 2004 at 8:19 PM (CST)

K-Deep, I’m using AOL as my e-mail client.  Do you know how I can get that to function?  I agree with the “pop and http email user” when he says that this product would be worth paying for (although I’d love if it stayed as freeware).  I hope that it will work for me with your assisstance.

Posted by Zach on February 26, 2004 at 9:20 PM (CST)

I agree, I also have two email accounts (actually more but that I don’t check as often) that I use - Hotmail and Earthlink (which is pop) and I’d love to be able to synch both to my iPod.  It’d be nice if this prog stayed free but I’d be willing to help out with your tuition too. (at least a little :)

Posted by dakota650r on February 26, 2004 at 10:35 PM (CST)

k-pod version 0.9 is done!

NEW features include:

- POP e-mail support
- save settings (to avoid all that typing)

Go here to download: http://www.k-deep.com/k-pod.htm

Please tell me if this does/doesn’t work for those of you with POP e-mail accounts…

k-deep

Posted by k-deep on February 27, 2004 at 4:25 AM (CST)

I wonder why apple doesn’t just make an iPDA product?  It would basically would be an 4
GB iPod mini with a flash OS for the PDA, a, touchscreen, and some navigation buttons.  I think that Apple is trying to add PDA functions to an MP3 player which doesn’t work as well as adding MP3 functions onto a PDA.  They could just build a mobile OS based on OSX that would allow you to sync contacts, calendar, email, and be able to add/edit/delete information on the iPod.  They could include a mobile version of QuickTime, too.  The device would be a little bigger than a standard iPod, with a little less battery life.  Pricing would be difficult, they would have to bring down the price of the higher capacity iPods…

Posted by Phil on February 27, 2004 at 11:11 AM (CST)

does anyone know of a way to automatically run programs like k-pod and googleget when the ipod is connected to a pc?

Posted by dave on February 28, 2004 at 10:28 AM (CST)

First of all, I’m really happy that Shadow released iPod Agent for Windows. The lack of existence of software similar to that was the entire reason I decided to make k-pod (during my Spring Break). iPod Agent looks pretty promising, and I intend on trying it out sometime soon. I’m also eagerly awaiting Pod2Go for Windows..

However, for those of you who like k-pod’s simplicity, have no fear. I still plan on integrating news and weather services into it. I’m also thinking of making a “k-pod mobile” button, which downloads the latest version of k-pod and copies the zip file to a directory on the iPod, so that u can carry it around with you (and don’t have to download it every time). In order to run k-pod on a new computer, you would simply copy the k-pod.zip file from the iPod hard drive onto the new computer’s hard drive and run it.

Any thoughts? Does anyone still plan on using k-pod?

k-deep

ps. If anything, check out the (legally) free music on my website.

Posted by k-deep on March 3, 2004 at 1:54 AM (CST)

Does this program just sync with email messages or does it also update contact list and calendar? That would be great.

Posted by Triton on March 3, 2004 at 7:28 AM (CST)

Nope, just e-mail messages. Because this program doesn’t rely on the existence of other programs (such as Outlook), I didn’t add the ability for k-pod to deal with Outlook in any way. Personally, I use Outpod ( http://www.stoer.de/ipod/ipod_en.htm ) to sync contacts and calendar. In my opinion, it does a great job. I figure that if a person DOES have and uses Outlook, they might as well use iPod Agent ( http://www.mersjr.com/ipodagent ).

However, if there’s a desire to sync contacts and calendar using k-pod, I can certainly look into it… Just let me know.

k-deep

Posted by k-deep on March 3, 2004 at 9:55 AM (CST)