Windows: MarkAble 0.2.2 Beta released | iLounge News

Windows: MarkAble 0.2.2 Beta released

MarkAble 0.2.2 Beta ($15) from iPodSoft allows you to convert longer MP3 or AAC files into bookmarkable m4b files. “MarkAble merges selected files, instructs iTunes to perform an AAC conversion on the merged file(s), renames the files from the AAC conversion m4a to m4b to make bookmarkable, writes the converted file into your iTunes Music folder, and adds the converted files to the iTunes Library, now in a bookmarkable format.”

« Mix: Camera Connector, Music labels, iTunes sharing, ezGear

Mix: Odeo, Forrester, FireWire, Star Wars »

Comments

Perfect for podcasts. Mac’s have been able to do this for a while using AppleScript. Good to see the fuction coming out on Windows.

Posted by Chris VandeVenter in Bismarck, ND on February 27, 2005 at 9:01 PM (PDT)

A fancy way to do “ren *.m4a *.m4b”.

But won’t such music be skipped if you select “Shuffle Songs” because the ipod will see them as Audiobooks?

Posted by spot1701 in UK on February 28, 2005 at 12:16 AM (PDT)

Pls dont buy this, theris NO need, u can do this for free WITH iTunes!

all you need to do is convert the files into AAC(this is done by default by itunes) then go to the itunes folder and rename the files from ***.m4a to ***.m4b and then open itunes and click file - add file and selct the file u want and voila! u sucessfully created an audiobook.

i have alrady done this to many of my Live sets and they work gr8!

Posted by Nhut_payne on February 28, 2005 at 1:29 AM (PDT)

PS when i say done by default..i mean if you are copying from a CD.

otherwise u select the mp3 file from the itunes menu and rightclick - convert to aac.

Posted by Nhut_payne on February 28, 2005 at 1:31 AM (PDT)

Well that’s one way to sock it to the ‘Technically Inept’ to the Tune of $15.00(USD). Talk about RTFM!!

One reading the above would thing that making a .M4b (Audio book File), would require, special rights in which you’d need to sacrifice your Neighbors pet Cat to the Beast (Or is it to the Temple of Steve??),. At the preciece moment the of the Moon enters it’s full.

For peats sake People regardless of where you get your cough Audiobooks’ from cough. you either rip them stright as AAC @ say 64Kbs - 48Kbs Mono or you convert those files to AAC. Use ‘Search Files & Folders’ (.m4a) and highlighting those Files press F2 and bump the a in.M4a to b Enter and doubble click that file to run it in iTunes remove the dead link THE END!

WTF was the problem!?!?!

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on February 28, 2005 at 2:26 AM (PDT)

Wow, over in the forums everyone thinks this is great. Even for those with the technical know how converting MP3s to M4bs is time consuming and a bit of a hassle—

Merge mp3s, if you need to end up with multiple files make sure you don’t skip any or overlap any (perhaps better software than I have will do this automatically)

Import mp3s to iTunes

Convert mp3s to m4a

delete mp3s

find m4as and change extension

import new m4bs into itunes

delete dead m4a links in library

Not rocket science but a bit time consuming. The main thing would be how much your time is worth and I guess.

Posted by Anachronism on February 28, 2005 at 5:30 AM (PDT)

If you use Windows and subscribe to Podcasts you should try the latest version of Doppler (http://www.dopplerradio.net).  It will download the MP3, and you can set it to automatically convert it to a m4b file which will be added to your playlist.  I really love it.

Posted by BulkHedd on February 28, 2005 at 6:11 AM (PDT)

This just automates the process—not a bad idea for those who have a lot of audio books from different sources (like me). I don’t understand the hatred being generated by this software.

Posted by Aaron Paulley on February 28, 2005 at 7:01 AM (PDT)

aaron,  as was said before, all you have to do is go to a command prompt (if you’re using windows) in the directory of the songs and type “ren *.m4a *.m4b” and it will automatically rename them all for you…

it’s irritating because it’s not like the software does something difficult for $15.  maybe the price should be $2 and that would be more fair.  it’s just a ridiculous price for something that can be done for free with minimal effort.

Posted by docslytherin on February 28, 2005 at 7:13 AM (PDT)

Perhaps for some people avoiding the hassle of renaming all audiobook files is worth the $15.

Posted by ape on February 28, 2005 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

[I]Posted for Stensvaag[/I]
Unfair Slurs Against MarkAble and David Grigg

There is a news topic on MarkAble in which folks are slamming David for his new software and for the price that he is asking for registration. I tried to respond to that news thread, but iPodLounge keeps insisting that I cannot register, because my e-mail address is invalid. Anyway, here is what I would say on the thread, if I could. If anyone has the ability to actually add this text to the news thread, I would appreciate it. Feel free to cut and paste my remarks.

=========

I feel badly that people are responding so unfairly (in my opinion) to the author of this elegant software. MarkAble does much more than simply rename the file from *.m4a to *.m4b (by the way, I was one of the original posters on this magical way to obtain bookmarkable audio book files). In a very nice interface, MarkAble completely takes over iTunes, rips all those Audio CD tracks, merges them into one large book (for example, a 10-hour book), and makes it bookmarkable through renaming, AND it deletes all the intervening temp files. Anyone who has done this through iTunes itself knows how many steps are involved in this process, and how tedious it is to manually merge the tracks, merge the resulting MP3 files, convert them to AAC files, rename them, and then delete from iTunes all the intervening intermediate files.

If you place yourself in the shoes of the software author, who spent countless hours figuring out how to do this outside of iTunes (invoking iTunes behind the scenes), would be a whole lot less condescending about the price that he is asking. I paid David Grigg a voluntary $50 for MarksMan, because it is an elegant and excellent way to keep track of bookmarks in audio books. I intend to pay him a voluntary $50 for MarkAble (I received a free copy as a beta tester) because that is how the shareware community works. Hard-working shareware authors deserve respect, rather than obnoxious feedback from folks who have obviously not even tried the software.

Just my two cents.

John-Mark Stensvaag
University of Iowa College of Law

Posted by moriond on February 28, 2005 at 3:45 PM (PDT)

Hey, guys,

MarkAble is robust and simply elegant 65 mb software—not a one page renaming script that could be turned out overnight.  David was responding to a newbie who had reviewed the Books and Spoken Word Guides and asked for the Ultimate Program that would do it all.  I encouraged David in this endeavor and suggest higher pricing which he rejected because his interest is mostly in meeting the needs of the average iPodder.

I challenge you who criticize to come up with freeware that does all David’s shareware does.  The market will decide if his shareware is worthwhile and will do so with a ten day fully functional download.  Any of you actually try the software?  Give David a break if you can’t give him credit due.

Full disclosure.  I wrote the MarkAble Guide for David so that he would have more time to develop the program and could get it done more quickly.  I have no financial interest whatsoever in MarkAble.  For those of you who wish to continue to make conversions with freeware, the Guides remain available:

4G 20gb 3.0.2; Win XP, iTunes 4.7.1.30   With a LOT of forum help:
EZGuide. All-in-one PC Shareware. Merges, converts, & renames CD, MP3, WAV to bookmarking & places in iTunes Library ($15 PC Shareware)
Guide 4. Audio CDs to bookmarking iPod files (Mac adaptable)
Guide 1. Audio mp3 files to bookmarking iPod files (mac adaptable)
Guide 2. Audio CassetteTapes, vinyl LPs &  CDs to bookmarking iPod files (PC only) Requires $30 software.
Guide 3.  Copy Audio CDs into fewer iPod files using freeware & additional steps&time;
Guide 5. Burn audible books to CD iTunes (mac adaptable) or AM (Best!PC only)
Guide 6. Convert mono m4b files to Stereo to avoid 4G & Mini Lockup AND keep iTrip out of 4G+ Shuffle
[/URL]

Posted by Robert1 in Atlanta, GA on February 28, 2005 at 10:39 PM (PDT)

To the point, here are the 1800 characters For the CD portion of the Guide for what takes an entire 10,000 character post to explain with all the steps the free solution takes in Guide 4.

Quick and easy, all-you-will-ever-need, MarkAble CD only Guide. Converts one audio CD into one bookmarkable file. User must set Disc number for unique identifier.  See below for mp3 and wav conversion Guides.

1.  Set iTunes Importing Preferences. See Set up Post below.  (iTunes>Edit>Preferences>Importing Tab. Channels=Mono, Custom =  64 kbps Stereo (results in 32 kpbs mono, = to audible format 4).  MarkAble automatically chooses iTunes AAC or mp3 encoder.  Beginners can leave settings at iTunes default (AAC encoder, stereo, 128 kbps), but files will be larger.

2.  Open MarkAble.  Optional One-Time:  Click Options to change location of Temporary or Merge Folder from default My DocumentsMarkAble.  Setting to Desktop may help user find and delete temporary and merged files.

3.  Insert audio CD in CD drive.   If “Audio CD (X:)? window opens, note the Drive Letter and click Cancel.

4.  Click ++ button. In window that opens, click down arrow and highlight CD drive containing audio CD.  This drive letter you noted in step 3.  Click OK.

5.  Enter or edit Book Name and Author—identically for each CD—and,  [color=red] very important:  number of CD being ripped.

6.  Click Rip All after determining that files are in correct order. Click Sort if not.

7.  Click OK to All Files Ripped and Ready message.

8.  Click Merge All button. In window that opens:
a. Check Delete Source.  [/color]
b. Check Start Convert if you wish MarkAble to proceed to AAC conversion without prompting.
c.      Click Convert All button after merge is complete if you did not check Start Convert in b. above.

Repeat steps 3-8 for each audio CD, making certain to increment CD Disc Number each time.[/color]

Posted by Robert1 in Atlanta, GA on February 28, 2005 at 11:03 PM (PDT)

I wholeheartedly agree with the above two posts…

MarkAble allows you to do alot more than simply re-naming m4a files to m4b.  If you have files in mp3 format, it will convert them to aac format, merging them together if you desire, and then renames them to m4b to allow them to be bookmarkable and appear as audio books on the iPod.  And as Robert posted above, it makes the conversion of audio cds to bookmarkable files a snap.

Granted, anyone can learn to do all of these steps seperately and save $15; but for me, my time is well worth the $15!!  I was a beta-tester and received a free copy of this program, but I will be paying David for my copy—

Thanks David!

dordale

Posted by dordale in Sacramento, CA on March 1, 2005 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

So, the author of the software might as well chip in as well.

I take no offence from the comments made in the earlier parts of the thread.  They are merely misinformed as to what the software does.  I’ve been critical myself of someone who wrote a complex script to do the simple renaming exercise which can be done with a one-line command.

That’s not what MarkAble does (or at least, it’s just a tiny part of it).

Is $15 a fair price?  I don’t know, but I really think so.  I’d have to sell an awful lot of copies at that price to cover my software development time.

No one’s forcing you to buy the software!  You get to try it for free. If you think it’s dumb, don’t register it.  Don’t see how I can be any fairer than that.

Posted by david1951 in Melbourne, Australia on March 1, 2005 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

Ain’t capitalism grand?  Charge what you wish, and if the market will bear it, you’ve priced correctly.  Good luck!
I’ll be giving the demo a shot.

Posted by ape on March 2, 2005 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

Version 1.0.3 of the software (first public out-of-beta Release Candidate) is now available at the ipodSoft web site.

It includes a nifty Audio CD Import Wizard which makes it extremely simple to get audiobooks on audio CD into iTunes as a small number of bookmarkable files.

What do I have to do to get listed in the Downloads section of this web site, do you think?  I’ve tried everything I can think of.

Posted by david1951 in Melbourne, Australia on March 19, 2005 at 7:58 PM (PDT)

I renamed my files from the command line, reminding me how much I prefer Windows to DOS.  However, if all that is required is to change .m4a files to .m4b, I found freeware called Ant Renamer, that does that.  http://www.antp.be/software/renamer/download

It seems to work really well, so far.  I just downloaded it.

Posted by 3 dogs on March 21, 2005 at 8:29 PM (PDT)