Windows: Media Center 9.1 beta supports Ratings, Playcounts, & Last Played | iLounge News

Windows: Media Center 9.1 beta supports Ratings, Playcounts, & Last Played

A feature sorely missed by all Windows iPod users has finally become available with JRiver’s Media Center 9.1.251 beta. The first Windows program to support this feature.  Up until now, Windows users haven’t been able to sync their iPod Ratings, Playcounts and Last Played dates to their Media Libraries (or to their iPods). This made it impossilbe to include your iPod playing habits into your Smart Playlists.

« Internetnews.com: Music Fans Still Burning

CNET: More Beatles vs. Apple »

Comments

Cool!  I would get it, but who wants to pay $40 with iTunes for Windows coming out soon?!?!  That will be the gold standard, and FREE!

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on September 12, 2003 at 8:12 PM (CDT)

Yea, price is over what most “media manager” should cost. They are lesser known because their price have kept it that way. Would be awesome to see $20 MC, and attract larger market share. That would be a better choice.

Posted by Bob on September 12, 2003 at 10:02 PM (CDT)

does ne1 know if u can sync with windows media player bc they have prefs and stuff

Posted by ari polsky on September 13, 2003 at 11:37 PM (CDT)

I dont think itunes for windows will be free , but lets hope i’m wrong :P

Posted by Axel on September 15, 2003 at 11:51 AM (CDT)

Well, if it isn’t free then they can f*** off.

Posted by Margk on September 15, 2003 at 3:33 PM (CDT)

MC 9 is so far ahead of every other media manager, yes including ichoonz, that it’s easily worth $40. ichoonz is fine for beginners, or for small or simple collections, but MC is in a league of its own. I’ve got both of them and, even with a free ichoonz, I chose to pay money for MC to manage my media (100K files, 400GB and rising).

Posted by meehawl on September 15, 2003 at 5:35 PM (CDT)

This meehawl has probably never used iTunes.  He’s probably never used a Mac.  MC9 is a derivative piece of crap.

Posted by john on October 5, 2003 at 2:22 PM (CDT)

Do you really want to see whose dick is bigger? I’ve used a Mac since Mac 512K, back in the 1980s. I made my first mp3 back in the early 1990s, when it was *difficult* and took several hours. You kids now have it easy with your GUIs and your 2GHz processors. Back in my day it was uphill all the time, there and back, all the way…

I tried iTunes and it dies trying to catalogue my collection because of its size (800GB), it’s quantity (80K+), and its complexity (several dozen various codecs). Like I said, iTunes is a nice program for beginners, or for small collections, or or simple collections without much variation in compression formats.

I’m aware of few other jukebox softwares besides MC9 that provide multi-level zoning, XML- and HTML-based design screens, a WYSIWYG viz studio, a robust Client-Server architecture, a user-extensible Tagging system, and support Tivo and media scheduling. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

I think I’d venture to claim that I’ve used (and discarded) more audio software than you’re ever likely to audition.

You can try to educate yourself by doing some research…

Posted by meehawl on October 6, 2003 at 11:23 AM (CDT)

Yeah hes right can you do THIS with iTunes crybaby john???????

I got 8 Maxtor 4A300J0 drives @ 5400.

I’m running RAID5 so I loose 300GB to parity. Windows report my dynamic shared volume at 2,099,996,200,960

Sequential Read 74.4 MBytes/Sec
Sequential Write 29.2 MBytes/Sec
Random Seek + RW 4.5 Mbytes/Sec

I should be able to transfer:

32 average HDTV streams (at 20Mb/s), or
23 high-quality HDTV streams (at 27Mb/s), or
106 average DVDs (at 6Mb/s), or
71 high-quality DVDs (at 9Mb/s), or
2500 average mp3s (at 256kb/s), or
444 uncompressed audio CDs (at 1.441Mb/s)

I’m seeing maybe 3% network utilization when streaming a DVD to a client, I would not anticipate any problems.

When moving 50GB across the 100Mb/s connection, network utilization goes to 75-80%, but cpu remains less than 5%. And it does not affect the ability of the server to stream lossless audio and/or video to a htpc client.

MC9 lives on the server along with a pair of M-Audio 24/96 DiOs and the built-in SP/DIF on the motherboard. This gives me 3 SP/DIF zones and 2 analog zones.

I talk to the server from my airpanel running the Lobby suite. From here I can launch DVDLobby and tell it to launch a movie on one of the htpcs. Or I can just launch MC9 and start different playlists to any of the 5 zones that eminate from the rack closet. I can also launch MC9 on any of the media clients and they then connect to the main MC9 library on the server. I can also launch any member of the lobby suite from these clients if I don’t want to fetch the airpanel and control it that way.

I don’t have any regrets from going the XP route vs. linux or 2003 server. My environment is very stable, and I haven’t had any hardware conflicts/issues.

I’m running a 2.8Ghz P4c with a Zalman 7000Cu heatsink and Kingston Hyper-X PC 3500. I should be able to remain very stable deep into the 3GHz range. MC9 will really snap then when reloading panes with my 30,000+ collection.

Posted by MC9 on October 6, 2003 at 1:37 PM (CDT)