Windows: myTunes Redux 1.0 released | iLounge News

Windows: myTunes Redux 1.0 released

myTunes Redux is a program that allows you to download music made available by iTunes. It allows you to search everything on the network at once, live, and works with all versions of iTunes (from 4.1 through 4.6).

This program will most likely only work on Windows XP. No mac version exists and I’m not making one, so stop asking.

License: Freeware
System Requirements: Windows XP

« iTunes Japan delayed by ‘inadequate DRM’

English-only pan-European iTunes store on track for October »

Comments

This is a prog that enables u to dload music from other people’s comps via iTunes. But instead of using Kazaa u can use iTunes. This only works if people have iTunes sharing enabled.

Posted by Unbeliever on September 8, 2004 at 7:29 AM (CDT)

PS It also works only on networks, not the internet

Posted by Unbeliever on September 8, 2004 at 7:35 AM (CDT)

Like Unbeliever said, this only works on local networks.  So if you have four people in your house you can see each other’s music and listen to it, and now with this program you can download it.

A practical application?  Well, for me, it was the dorm last year.  About 50 kids shared their mixes, and with the original MyTunes, my library almost doubled by the end of the year.  It was fantastic.

Posted by Jeremy on September 8, 2004 at 7:47 AM (CDT)

We used it in our college halls of residence too, it was fantastic.

Posted by Paul on September 8, 2004 at 10:06 AM (CDT)

b0rk3d:  I was just trying to suggest that people who used OS X and wanted myTunes-like functionality could look into ourTunes.

I suppose running everything in a Java VM is going to make the program really slow, but I think it’s a more reasonable option than installing VirtualPC or Wine or something just to run myTunes.

I’ll definitely be trying out both programs when school starts again in a few weeks.

Posted by xvznt on September 8, 2004 at 10:55 AM (CDT)

FYI - though this is compiled for Win XP, it worked on my Win 2000 machine just fine. It immediately found my coworker’s shared library and I was able to download dozens of songs without a hitch. Well-done on the app!

Posted by PK on September 8, 2004 at 2:48 PM (CDT)

Gettunes does the same thing on a Mac.

Bob

Posted by BobR on September 8, 2004 at 6:47 PM (CDT)

What this does is it allows you to download music onto your computer from other computers on your local network which are running iTunes.  The practical (legal) application for this is copying music off on one computer in your house to another when you want to hear a particular song and wish to locally have it.  The other practical (illegal) application is inside a collage dorm.  Unless they switch and reroute every port, there can be some serious filesharing that just looks like good old iTunes streaming.

Posted by Alden on September 9, 2004 at 1:03 AM (CDT)

Till someone figures out a way for this to be on the internet instead of just a local network, its pretty much useless to most people, inclusing me :(

Posted by J Dean on September 10, 2004 at 6:14 AM (CDT)

It’s perfect for using at work, when loads of co-workers have iTunes and sharing enabled ;)

Posted by testman on September 14, 2004 at 8:41 AM (CDT)

if you installed the mytunes and it doesn’t show up everyone on the network, you might try turning off your firewall if you have one.  i did that and it would load everyone into the mytunes program and then i would just go back and turn on my firewall again. this solved my problem fyi

Posted by ee on September 15, 2004 at 5:53 PM (CDT)

the mac version is called ourTunes

Posted by a on September 28, 2004 at 11:59 AM (CDT)

this is great! my roommate and i didn’t even know about the sharing feature on itunes. we were just sitting around with our laptops and my music showed up in her itunes. we were super excited until we realized that we could only listen not download. then i found this program and now we’re set.

Posted by bklyn on September 29, 2004 at 9:26 PM (CDT)

is there any evidence this method of filesharing is traceable?

Posted by s on October 10, 2004 at 8:53 PM (CDT)

where can i get the link to download this????

Posted by plumpot on April 23, 2005 at 3:27 PM (CDT)

I downloaded mytunes redux, but when I go to open the program, nothing shows up. I dont have a firewall on and I am able to listen to the music through itunes. What do i do??

Posted by Leah on October 4, 2005 at 12:50 PM (CDT)

I have this program, is there anyway that you can tell when people are downloading tracks from you?

Posted by Jenni on October 24, 2005 at 11:11 AM (CDT)

my roomate and I have mytunes on our computer but neither one of us are logged on to it so we cant get eachothers music.
like our names show up but there is always a red X nest to both of our names… how do we make our music available to everyone and eachother?

Posted by Jenna on April 19, 2006 at 8:54 PM (CDT)

When i try to download the songs, it says my library isnt registered. What can i do?

Posted by allie on October 5, 2006 at 9:10 PM (CDT)

how bout u make mytunes redux for the new itunes so it works for itunes 7.1

Posted by joe on October 9, 2006 at 3:37 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >