Windows: PalmPod 1.0 released | iLounge News

Windows: PalmPod 1.0 released

PalmPod 1.0 from Sappenin Technologies is a new Palm Desktop data exporter for Windows that enables you to transfer your Palm Desktop calendar, todo’s, contacts, and memos onto your iPod. “Unlike other offerings, PalmPod allows you to choose the Palm data you want exported to your iPod, both at the Palm conduit level, and on a per-category basis,” says the developer. “Now you don’t have to settle for an ‘all or nothing’ approach when it comes to getting your Palm data onto your iPod.” PalmPod offers support for Desktop privacy settings, and priority, category, and note/custom field support in todo’s, contacts, and datebook events.

« iLounge Q&A: Odeo’s Evan Williams talks podcasting

Burberry iPod cases now available online »

Comments

Anyone have any experience with this Windows software?

Posted by LDRiPod in Redondo Beach on April 5, 2005 at 2:20 PM (CDT)

Just downloaded this program, and i must say, it is nothing short of amazing. If you use palm desktop and have an ipod, this program is a necessity. (and its definately a relief after using that hideous palm2ipod)

Posted by mrwright in california on April 5, 2005 at 6:08 PM (CDT)

i agree with mrwright.  a warning to those with older desktops, it only works with Palm Desktop 4.1+

i never heard of palm2ipod until recently so i never experienced that.  the only way i was able to sync to my ipod from my palm was to save each individual address as a vcard export (takes forever), export my calendar to outlook and make an ical file from there using a plugin, and had to copy and paste my memos to notepad and save those as texts in notes..

needless to say, this program just does all of this in a couple seconds all for me in one step.

not too many bugs.. it found a memo that it could not sync, but i cant figure out which one it is because i have so many. i’m guessing it surpasses the text file limit on the ipod or contained an invalid character within the memo.  other than that, a GREAT program.  highly recommended.

Posted by byronface in pomona on April 5, 2005 at 6:27 PM (CDT)

Palm2ipod also gets the works done :

Posted by P. Barthelemy on April 5, 2005 at 11:52 PM (CDT)

Am I missing something here?

Why would I want to put my Palm contacts etc onto my iPod?

What can I do with them once they’re on my iPod?

And why would I rather view them on the iPod than on the Palm?

The more I read about these new, very small, decent capacity disks that on coming online soon, the more I see “the next big thing” - a PDA with a 20gb (maybe more) hard disk. I can put all my MP3s etc on there, do loads of other things and then who really needs an iPod? Add in possible phone facilities and wifi and THAT would be a gadget to have - and one I’m sure that’ll arrive (as opposed to some of the, shall we say “creative” ideas that some people post up here).

Posted by PugRallye on April 6, 2005 at 6:34 AM (CDT)

PalmOne is going to release a new Tungsten with a 4GB micro-drive, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 320 x 480 screen with 18-bit color, SD slot, voice recorder and more in the next few months.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on April 6, 2005 at 11:27 PM (CDT)

Hmmm…  I’d love a Palm device like that w/ audio playback and space to store photo files, but 4GB is too small for that IMHO.  Guess I’ll wait until they offer one w/ a 20GB microdrive sometime down the line.  Anyone here seen this hilarious promo bit from Hitachi? :-)

Brings me back to ye ole days of Schoolhouse Rock. :-)

Posted by LightOfTheWorld in New York City on April 12, 2005 at 2:37 AM (CDT)

There is now a new version of this software that fixes lots of bugs, and adds some new features.  It’s available at http://www.sappenin.com/products/palmpod/

Posted by ddavid on December 19, 2005 at 9:41 AM (CST)