Windows: Pod Player 1.2 released | iLounge News

Windows: Pod Player 1.2 released

Pod Player (formerly MyPodPlayer) is a freeware application to carry on your iPod. You can play your music on any computer when you iPod is connected without the need to install any programs such as iTunes. When launched, it will look for an attached iPod and when it finds one it will read the music database on the iPod. You will then be able to views your songs in a similar way as in iTunes (by artist, genre, album, playlist, etc). You can now also extract songs from it. There are a few little extra features such as iPod Hacks, checking for duplicates etc. There is no installation, just an independent program.

What’s new in this version:

Faster loading times
New Playback engine now plays AAC and every format iPod supports.
Playback is a lot faster.
Has shuffle and repeat features.
One package file which does not need any other components or installation.

License: Freeware
System Requirements: Windows 2000/XP

« iPod gains 82% market share

Griffin ships PodPod Auto Cradle for iPod »

Comments

Not sure why I would use this (as I’d simply use the files on my hard drive) but it’s nice to have the option.

Posted by Trunk Guy in London on May 22, 2004 at 5:15 AM (PDT)

iTunes already does this…

Posted by Chris Matchett on May 22, 2004 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

I like it.  I deleted all of my albums off of my hard drive, leaving only the song titles in iTunes.  This gives me way more hard drive space.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t listen to the songs from my computer, so I’d have to plug my speakers directly into the ipod.  Now I don’t have to do that.  The only problem is that it doesn’t eject the ipod when you click “eject the ipoed.”

Posted by nosie on May 22, 2004 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

You can do this with iTunes itself (no, I haven’t tried this program, and it might be wonderful).  Why do this?  So I can listen at work, where my iTunes library isn’t, and I can still hook it to my PC and use it as an external/private drive at the same time.

To do this, right click on the iPod in iTunes, pick “iPod Options”, then choose “manually manage songs and playlists”.  Very nice.  smile

Posted by nate on May 24, 2004 at 7:09 AM (PDT)

I get an error:

Run Time error “9”:
Subscript out of range

Posted by chucktaylor on October 8, 2004 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

Hey the program is for when iTunes isn’t installed (eg work, school) and you want to play your iPod’s music while stil use the HD or charge.

chucktaylor can you please email me about when and where you get the error. [prashant.is.here AT gmail.com]

Posted by Prashant V on October 8, 2004 at 4:32 PM (PDT)

I think it is wonderful to be able to play at ANY PC without the need and hazle of installing some software first - just think about the office computers where you do not have the nescessary system priviliges to install applications - also you do not even need to write one single file to the local HD, all software parts stay on the ipod…

Great work!

Posted by Mabuse on October 9, 2004 at 1:30 AM (PDT)

Simpsons already did it!

Seriously, who cares if itunes already does it? iTunes is a PITA and I’m overjoyed when freeware apps isolate the useful features from the bloatware and obfuscated-yet-pervasive DRM BS that constitutes iTunes.

Even if you love iTunes and find no flaws with it whatsoever, however unlikely that is, there’s no good reason to oppose development of redundant third-party apps - at the very least they provide a failsafe should Apple choose to change iTunes in a way you don’t like in the future.

Kudos to the Pod Player devs, you’re doing important work. Don’t let the zealots get you down.

Posted by Bob X. Gross on October 9, 2004 at 6:59 AM (PDT)

Wow Please read the thing before you come and post your stupid remarks.  It is for when iTunes isnt installed on a machine and you dont have to install anything.  iTunes is nice, but it isnt god like you mac freaks think

Posted by dumbass people on October 9, 2004 at 9:11 AM (PDT)

iTunes on Windows does suck. But it’s because it’s a port from the Mac version. Now you Winblows users know what it’s like to use ported software that was originally made for another platform smile

Posted by kainjow on October 9, 2004 at 9:37 AM (PDT)

itunes scares me not because it is a port, but because it is ipod-format-happy and never actually uses the words ‘format’ or ‘erase’ in any dialogs. my heart jumps whenever I hear my ipod’s drive spin up while itunes is running. It is soooo easy to nuke your ipod using itunes it isnt funny.

the main problem is that itunes expects you to a) centralize your music library through itunes and b) maintain a “library” on your PC’s hard drive AND on the ipod simultaneously, despite the stupid frustrating redundancy of it all.  if you dont buy into those ideas, expect problems. all your music are belong to itunes.

I am really grateful for software like Ephpod and Ipod Agent (and Pod Player). Without this kind of software I probably would have no hair left, from pulling it all out in frustration.

Posted by Timothy Alan Gross on October 9, 2004 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

How do I uninstall pod player from my ipod

Posted by sonihc on October 9, 2004 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

I’m not afraid to admit that I’m a Windows iTunes user and that I love it.  Sure it has it’s flaws but it’s still better than most audio players for Windows.

As for Pod Player, I may use it in the future but as of now I have no reason to.

Posted by Dylan on October 9, 2004 at 11:03 PM (PDT)

what i need to ’ when i’m getting the message:

Stop statement encountered

Posted by proph.sex on October 10, 2004 at 6:14 AM (PDT)

Very nice because nothing to install to listen to your library but…

Quite buggy (browse for export target place gives me a ‘runtime error 438’ - rewind/forward buttons act very strangely)

Posted by pat on October 10, 2004 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

I use iTunes on Windows at home…I’ve had no problems and love how it works. Sure having a central DB might be a pain, but it works for me. I just let iTunes organise what it likes.

As for this tool, it sounds ideal for my work situation where I daren’t install iTunes. Sounds a bit buggy though, maybe I’ll wait a while.

Posted by Solomalee on October 10, 2004 at 10:26 PM (PDT)

Sorry about those errors, the latest package uploaded has them fixed. I forgot to remove some code after debugging leading to those errors.

(Btw, it does not modify your iPod’s database in any way. It makes a copy which it opens, and so will never actually modify anything on your iPod with normal use. Hacks etc modify some settings in the iPod, but normal use will not modify anything)

Posted by Prashant V on October 11, 2004 at 12:38 AM (PDT)

Awesome PROG. but while playing a song and I hit the back arrow it jumps to the next song instead of the previous.

Posted by Scott W. on October 11, 2004 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

Minor update is coming soon to fix some errors like that one.

Posted by Prashant on October 25, 2004 at 11:02 PM (PDT)

i just bought an ipod photo yesterday , trying to set it up, i connected to my laptop, w xp, dell inspiron 700 m.
during the installation process i was asked to connect my ipod and i did it, then it stayed like that during minutes and ask me to format my ipod , and i did it, this process never ended and stayed for hours but nothing changed, neither the messages on the screen nor anything.

Please help me out wit this

Posted by Marcelo on July 10, 2005 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >