Windows: XPlay 2 released | iLounge News

Windows: XPlay 2 released

XPlay 2 provides a variety of new features, including compatibility with Audible files, AAC files, and even automatic WMA-to-MP3 conversion. XPlay 2 is also much faster than the original XPlay, has improved support for international characters, displays album art, supports play counts, and has a greatly-enhanced interface under Windows XP.

License: Commercial $29.95
System Requirements:

Windows XP, 2000, Me or 98SE

Apple iPod
(any model, including iPod mini)

FireWire or USB 2.0  port
(FireWire is also known as IEEE-1394 or Sony i.LINK; use with USB 2.0 port requires Windows XP or 2000 and a compatible iPod model, and may require purchase of an appropriate cable from Apple)

« Dension USA announces new ICE-Link v1.1 auto interconnect kit

Mac/Windows: BiblePod 1.0 released »

Comments

I don’t understand what it means by “limited ability to restore the iPod Mini”.  what is limited about it?  it doesn’t say that anywhere on the xplay site?

Posted by Adam on March 11, 2004 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

I tried it and one out of about 4 times of trying to navigate between the Albums, Artists, Songs and playlists the songs and such would disappear.  I had to close the program and reopen it to get everything to come back.  Still can’t just dragNdrop an album into the albums window.  Had to open the album select ALL the tracks and drop them in the appropiate playlist.  And I also drug some songs from Xplay to the desktop and I could never open them .  On a good note,it looks good, integration with windows is good and at least this time it worked with iTunes.  Last one I tried didn’t and it wiped out my entire iPod library.  Go figure.

Posted by CoolerPod on March 11, 2004 at 2:16 PM (PDT)

Get Anapod, it does the same thing and it doesn’t have any problems at all smile Nice integration with explorer and stuff.

Posted by mufoxe on March 16, 2004 at 4:18 AM (PDT)

or you could get the best of them all itunes for windows smile.
But i agree, before itunes was released i used xplay and i really wanted to like it but the thing was so damn unstable it would crash everytime i used it. It was also extremely slow.

Posted by an0therdumbsn on March 25, 2004 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

I wished Anapod would as nicely integrate with Windows Media Player as XPlay does.

Posted by mmjaeger on March 25, 2004 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

I wish Anapod did half the things their web site claims it does and it has tons of problems.

xplay is still my fav.  but I’m probably biased.

Posted by Adam on March 25, 2004 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

Hmmm Anapod didn’t like it one bit buggy didn’t work crashed and generally pi**ed me off.

iTunes is good, but I don’t trust it !

Xplay Rocks but I’m having problems with it at the moment.  It’s not my PC as I’ve only just done a fresh install and am running hardly anything else. But RC1 might fix these issues.

AOL 9.0 SUCKS just installed the damn thing and it SUCKS. If I was allowed to use strong language I WOULD it SUCKS ya hear me AOL you SUCK.

Posted by Judda on March 25, 2004 at 5:01 PM (PDT)

Did I mention AOIL 9.0 SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS

and for good measure.

SUCKS

Posted by Judda on March 25, 2004 at 5:03 PM (PDT)

You can use EphPod or iTunes in Windows 98SE. Just download the firewire patch and install.

Posted by Strykar in India on March 25, 2004 at 8:32 PM (PDT)

Dont trust itunes, is that foolishness I smell?

Posted by XanDuhMan on March 25, 2004 at 10:01 PM (PDT)

I’ve got both Xplay and Anapod. Both have their good points and bad points. I won’t be upgrading though to the Xplay 2 version for sure though as they refuse to include the capability to transfer files back to PC from the iPod retaining filenames correctly. Hell lots of stuff can do that now and even FREEWARE stuff like SHAREPOD can transfer back to the PC perfectly. I think Xplay is a product pretty much at the end of it’s life unless they start to include really useful features…Audible…How many people gonna use that really…Nice feature but won’t be of much value to most…Morphing…I gotta say there’s not too much I need to change from WMA to MP3 or OGG for that matter..
Ease of use and the interface as well as the capability to transfer easily BOTH WAYS are the most important parts of the software along with Playlist and File renaming and Tagging…
Haven’t tried iTunes as it’s huge and can’t see much reason to use it as I haven’t any intention of actually paying for music off of Apple’s site (GASP!!).

Posted by DaveI on March 26, 2004 at 1:34 AM (PDT)

You can’t install iTunes in Windows 98SE or Millenium.

I copy stuff all the time?  What do you mean file names correctly?  Don’t you tag your music?

Posted by Adam on March 26, 2004 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

Are you actually supporting the idea that filenames are unimportant?  In my mind you hindered your support for this program with that comment.

Posted by Argh on April 12, 2004 at 9:14 PM (PDT)

I don’t find them important.  But, I’m sure they’ll do something to help people make pretty file names.

Posted by Adam on April 13, 2004 at 6:17 AM (PDT)

The naming problem is annoying, true.  COmpared to iTunes, I like XPlay 1 MUCH better (XPlay for transfers and MusicMatch for playing/Super Tagging is a great combo IMO).

Posted by Vbox81 on April 13, 2004 at 4:43 PM (PDT)

I’m rick james #####! *slap*

Posted by Rick on April 18, 2004 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

I have used Xplay 1 without issue for a year or so now on a 1st generation 5gb Ipod.

Today i took delivery of an new 3rd generation 15gb ipod and thought i would test xplay 2.

I downloaded the evaluation copy from mediafour and from the moment I installed it and tried to copy my first batch of MP3’s I experienced countless I/O write errors, when copying music to the Ipod.

As the Ipod was brand new i thought it might be a hardware error. So, to test, I uninstalled Xplay 2 and reinstalled Xplay 1, since reinstalling Xplay 1 I have copied 12,8gb of music without a single write error.

Obviously Xplay 2 still has some issues.

You have been warned!!! Cheers

Posted by Guy on May 26, 2004 at 4:24 AM (PDT)