Wired editor succumbs to iPod mini | iLounge News

Wired editor succumbs to iPod mini

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, March 15, 2004
News Categories: iPod mini

“For several weeks I’ve been avoiding the iPod mini like a nasty disease.

At the grand opening of the new Apple store in San Francisco, the iPod product manager, Danika Cleary, tried to persuade me to check one out, but I refused.

‘No thanks, I don’t want to hold it,’ I told her. ‘I don’t even want to look at it, because then I’d have to buy one.”

I know the seductive power of Apple’s products, and the iPod mini gives off irresistible ‘buy me’ vibes. The mini casts a spell, a shopping hex that pulls you irresistibly toward the cash register.”

« JAVOedge announces new iPod cases

PocketPC iPod emulator removed from website »

Comments

ya i know how he feels once you saw it you had to get it no matter how much it cost.

Posted by PG Dawg in MI on March 15, 2004 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

I can resist the tempation!  I will NOT buy an iPod mini!  Nothing you do or say will make me buy one!  Nooooooooo!  Oh wait…that’s because I already own a 30GB 3G iPod…oops!

- JonYo

Posted by JonYo on March 15, 2004 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

yea the same thing happend to me when i didnt wanna buy the double headed dildo 5000 but it sent out these vibes that told me to buy it…and eventually i did…tsk tsk tsk to myself… :(

Posted by Ninja Turtle on March 15, 2004 at 4:21 PM (PDT)

I’ve changed my mind. mini=goos

Posted by JonYo on March 15, 2004 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

I meant good

Posted by JonYo on March 15, 2004 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

Posted by Ryan on March 15, 2004 at 5:01 PM (PDT)

Posted by retro on March 15, 2004 at 5:20 PM (PDT)

I was not an iPod owner until the mini.  It clearly pushed a lot of folks who wanted iPods, but never went for it, over to NEEDING one.  Smaller, lighter, more durable, cooler, AND cheaper.  How can you go wrong?

—-
thewired.blogs.com/teotwawki
the techno-mediated cultural conspiracy

Posted by Nicky G on March 15, 2004 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

Danika Cleary == Yummy

Posted by Agent Orange on March 15, 2004 at 5:52 PM (PDT)

Oh come on the writer of this article is Leander Kahney - he worships the very ground Steve Jobs spits on. The day I see him not praising Apple is the day I see Osama Bin Laden bumping and grinding on the dancefloor.

“clearly pushed a lot of folks who wanted iPods, but never went for it, over to NEEDING one.”

We’ll see. I’d like to see how 15GB iPod sales are holding up. The 10GB model used to bge the best selling iPod.

I think the iPod mini is taking sales away from its higher-margin iPod siblings and hurting, not helping, Apple’s bottom line.

Posted by Leander Kahney on March 15, 2004 at 7:29 PM (PDT)

“Maybe I’m living below the poverty line, but who are you people who can just buy a $300+ item on a whimsy because its cute?”

Um, people with jobs.

Posted by Chimpee on March 15, 2004 at 8:29 PM (PDT)

>I think the iPod mini is taking sales away from its higher->margin iPod siblings and hurting, not helping, Apple’s bottom >line.

On the contrary, with the mini being only $50 cheaper than the 15gb iPod, Apple wins either way.  If you buy a mini, good for Apple.  If you decide to pop another fifty bucks for an extra 11gbs, then again good for Apple.  The mini has most likely increased Apple’s bottom line if anything.

Posted by Zim on March 15, 2004 at 8:51 PM (PDT)

ipod mini

girls’ stuff

if ur the man,

GET AN “IPOD” !!

Posted by Ed on March 15, 2004 at 10:02 PM (PDT)

hehe ed.

I’m probably going to sound like a broken record, but like everyone else I think the mini is darn nice. It’s got the size down and the space is ample for most people.

Reading review sites cNet, the complaints that most people have are about the price. Other than that, the thing is awesome. Been thinking about getting one myself if it’s good for jogging and exercise.

Posted by Andrew on March 15, 2004 at 10:47 PM (PDT)

“It still surprises me that some people still don’t get it. The mini is not just cute. It is the future of the iPod, plain and simple.”

Not until capacity increases.  I’m ready for 80GB right now.  I’m not alone, either, considering how well the 15, 20, 30 and 40GB ipods sold.

Posted by stark23x on March 15, 2004 at 11:35 PM (PDT)

If the Mini had been priced any lower than $250, then it would definitely pull sales away from full sized ipods.

Posted by billy on March 16, 2004 at 6:06 AM (PDT)

Not until capacity increases. I’m ready for 80GB right now. I’m not alone, either, considering how well the 15, 20, 30 and 40GB ipods sold.

Agreed..but understand form and function are what made the iPod successful and that is exactly what has made the mini such a big success. IMHO the mini is the iPod for the rest of us. Those of us that have a substantial collection of music but have not used Napster or peer to peer services for whatever reason it may be. I just don’t understand why people are so quick to bash the mini and do not understand that this is more than likely the design Apple will be focussing on in the new future. I eagerly await higher capacities, blue tooth, wi-fi, etc enhancements for future mini’s.  But for now the mini is the device for a lot of us and I bought the mini because it met my needs, plain and simple.

Posted by retro on March 16, 2004 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

“Maybe I’m living below the poverty line, but who are you people who can just buy a $300+ item on a whimsy because its cute? “

I am one of those people. But like someone lese said, I have a decnt job.

Posted by Chris on March 16, 2004 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

“I am one of those people. But like someone lese said, I have a decnt job.”

Apparently that job doesn’t require spelling skills.

Posted by Chris's Editor on March 16, 2004 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

I’m buying my girlfriend one for her birthday. I own a 40GB model.

I’m the man in this relationship GODDAMMIT!

Posted by Stylescraper on March 16, 2004 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >