Wired: Give the DJs What They Want | iLounge News

Wired: Give the DJs What They Want

For all the DJs out there… wouldn’t it be nice to have pitch control on your iPod for mixing live sets? Wired magazine (August 2003) reports that Apple invited world famous DJ, Ritchie Hawtin to perform at the opening of the Soho NY store, but Hawtin’s mixes were ‘choppy’ due to the lack of pitch control on the dualing iPods.

“At Hawtin’s SoHo appearance - and at some sets by other DJs at Apple’s 53 retail outlets - rumors circulated that he might get his wish. Don’t trade in your needles yet, though. ‘We can’t confirm that pitch control will be a feature,’ says an Apple spokesperson. ‘But DJs are a constituency we’re interested in reaching.’”

« Bacardi DJ Contest 2.0 gives away 12 iPods

New Bill Proposed to Restrict Digital Freedom »

Comments

That sounds like a great idea to add more features onto the iPod, however, while they’re at it, why not implement some other features that are long overdue, yet, are much more vital to the masses than pitch control. I mean, don’t get me wrong. I do a little bit of experimentation with DJ equipment and I would really like to see advanced features like that on the iPod, however, maybe the ability to actually EDIT playlists (not just the on-the-go one) would be plesant. Also reverb would be nice.

Posted by Sraphim on July 12, 2003 at 8:38 PM (PDT)

They better make sure that there are two different installation options. First time users would only become confused by pitch control.

Posted by Cozzie on July 12, 2003 at 9:48 PM (PDT)

I’d love to see Crossfading and a queue feature on the 2nd gen ipods especially.

I think these would be 2 of the most commonly used and “standard” features of other players. Simplicity is one thing, lack of necessary features is another.

Pitch control would be cool, but I think crossfading and queueing would be more useful to many people (and many DJ’s!)

Posted by DimJim on July 12, 2003 at 9:50 PM (PDT)

Yes, they need to make onthego playlists saveable. It would be nice to get on my mac and have the playlist I made on the subway right therre for me to continue adding or save. Also I would love to be able to choose the genre and preset volume settings for each song. It could one click after you choose your rating.

But pitch would be nice too.

Posted by eMikey on July 12, 2003 at 11:37 PM (PDT)

pitch control, cross fading people please real DJ’s do those things on turntables and mixers not on little iPod’s.Anyway real DJ’s used vinyl don’t they?  The ipod is a great piece of kit but to sell to the masses you need to keep it simple.

Posted by mac_gladdy on July 13, 2003 at 12:19 AM (PDT)

actually DJs manually slow or speed up the record to do pitch control, no easy way to do that on mixers unless it has a memory buffer, but I haven’t heard of it.

You are correct about cross fading though. I don’t think djs want or need cross fading on the ipod. Sounds like that was just what Cozzie wanted.

Posted by Chris on July 13, 2003 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

Queueing would be very much appreciated - I’m a college radio station dj and I’ve tried to use the iPod to run my show a few times, but without a queue feature and the ability to stop tracks right after they’ve played automatically (or have a crossfade), it can be a little choppy and difficult. Two installers does sound like an ingenious idea, although I could see apple pulling a QuickTime Pro with that idea and charging the masses.

Posted by Geoff on July 13, 2003 at 7:33 AM (PDT)

pitch control on my iPod, or on a future one for that matter would just be immense. i have tried djing a couple of times of my 10GB and it works ok up to a point. i would pay up to 50 bucks extra for this feature for sure.

Posted by keith on July 13, 2003 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

In response to Geoff, the new iPods(2.0.1 Gen 3) now can queue just fine using their on-the-go playlist.

Posted by Sraphim on July 13, 2003 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

Pitch control? Hah. It’s all marketing. First Apple would announce it was coming in a new patch and then delay it’s release 4 months or so. (windows 1.3 release)

Apple won’t even give 2ed gen Ipod owners the new 3rd gen firmware (2.0)

Not only that, they refuse to recognize any firmware bugs until they have fixed the problem themselves. (ipod ‘jogging/skipping’ 2.0 OS ‘click)

I enjoy my second gen ipod, but I am throughly disgusted with Apple’s support and after purchase care—or lack thereof.

Posted by soltrain on July 14, 2003 at 5:13 AM (PDT)

i agree totally soltrain. apple is more concerned with pleasing potential customers than supporting existing ones. they feel they have their money from you already and its not like you can ask for a refund. i feel like my ipod is a red headed step child. you care for it as much as you can but dont expect the original parents to help support it.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on July 14, 2003 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

surely pitch control and cross fade should be an add-on from griffin etc, as we’re not all dj’s.

DJing with mp3 what’s the world coming too smile, in my day it was vinyl!

Posted by mac_glady on July 15, 2003 at 7:40 AM (PDT)

I was a proud owner of a 2G thouchwheel iPod. Now I only own it. My next purchase is a Nomad Zen. I will not support a company who doesn ot respect its own customer base. Good bye Apple, welcome customer support.

Posted by pbox on July 15, 2003 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

It would be nice to have for dj’s for sure.
But it will be enough for me if you could at least use it as the source for finalscratch. Check [url=http://www.finalscratch.com]http://www.finalscratch.com[/url]
You can mix vynil like mp3 files… nice…
Cheers

Posted by Federico on September 30, 2003 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

It does crossfading!!! It pitchshifts! It has ethernet!!! It plays OGGs!!! It’s the same size as the iPod!!! It’s got 20/40 GB!!! It’s as small as the iPod and a weighs less. This is one sweet little player.

RioKarma 20:
20G 2.7 x 3.0 x 0.90 = 7.29 inch^3 5.5oz

ipod specs:
10G 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.62 = 6.10 inch^3 5.6oz
15G 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.62 = 6.10 inch^3 5.6oz
30G 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.73 = 7.18 inch^3 6.2oz

Posted by RioKarma on September 30, 2003 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

Ooh.. the Rio Riot had a great UI, just crappy form factor..

The Karma looks pretty impressive..

Posted by soltrain on September 30, 2003 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

Hi. I am a deejay from Amsterdam. I have had enough of people deciding what deejays want or what they shouldnít want. Or witch medium they should use. Fools: itís all about music and what you want to do with it! Vinyl is just a carrier! The cd is a carrier, the I-pod is a carrier! A magnificent one! I would buy a second 40 gig I-pod today (yes, I am a successful deejay) if Apple would provide me with pitch control! It wonít confuse first time users. Why? you donít have to use it if you donít want to! But now you canít if you need to, thatís just terrible!

Posted by Rodger Ramjet on May 28, 2004 at 12:33 AM (PDT)