Wired: Sony’s User-Friendly Copy Block | iLounge News

Wired: Sony’s User-Friendly Copy Block

“Sony Music, home to such artists as Beyonce Knowles and Bruce Springsteen, said Monday it plans to introduce new CD technology in Germany that prevents users from copying songs to file-sharing sites, but allows them to make copies for their personal use. [...]

To copy the music to the Sony portable player, the technology requires an extra step to copy the files to a separate program to transfer the music to the portable player.

At this point, music can be transferred only to Sony portable players, although Sony executives note that Apple Computer’s popular iTunes service works the same way with the Apple-branded iPod.”

« MS Not Budging Over “Limitations”

Spinning iPods »

Comments

It’s refreshing to see such a big name as Sony on the side of the consumer for a change, however, I sure hope that this CD copy protection still allows me to rip the tracks to mp3 for archiving. There is always the possibility that the copy protection may render the discs unplayable on some CD players too, just like previous attempts.

Posted by Dr. Webster on November 10, 2003 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

Well if I can’t play it with an iPod I guess I don’t play Sony’s music.
Too bad.
I see they haven’t softened up on their restrictions. Their music will probably be in the crap ATRAC3 format, need to be played through OpenMG and synced to a MD.

Now their music can die the same slow death their MD’s have the last few years.

Posted by SpideyPod on November 10, 2003 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

Ya, I am very tired of Sony and their bs restrictions.  I dont buy pop crap artists like beyonce and springstein (although he is a little more respectable), but if a consumer buys the music, he or she should have the right to use it as they please, they should not have restrictions, this is rediculous.  And these fat cat RIAA Mother Flippers need to pull their thumbs out of their ##### and get moving on making a solution like the iTunes store, otherwise, they are gonna lose even more money…

Posted by Rob on November 10, 2003 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

I just hope I can fix it with some 3M tape…

Posted by SlutMonkey on November 10, 2003 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

or a sharpie wink

Posted by lo on November 10, 2003 at 1:58 PM (PDT)

Technically, iTunes works with more than just iPod, as I have heard people getting it to work just fine with their Archos/Creative players.

Posted by Sraphim on November 10, 2003 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

That’s true, iTunes does work with many players.

My girlfriend uses her MacOS iTunes to manage her Archos.

I use the J River Media Centre on Windows to manage my iPod.

It’s a topsy-turvy world!

Posted by MC9 on November 10, 2003 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

Sony says:
“You cannot copy our music, you must delete from your computer!”
Microsoft says:
“You cannot make backups of our software, you must delete from your computer!”
Paramount Pictures says:
“You cannot copy our movies, you must delete from your computer!”

Should I delete my p-nis cause my doctor says so too?

DVD encryption was to be the toughest encryption made, until man discovered a way.
Miscrosoft is still trying to make their software uncopyable and registerable for each individual user, until man discovered a way.
Sony is trying to do what?
I think waste of resources by Sony to even try. Eventually they will come up with some sort of schemish device for CD’s that will prevent people to copy, but again(yes you guessed it), until man discovers a way.

Wish there was life on Mars to get away from idiots on earth!!

Posted by MadMadMax on November 10, 2003 at 7:51 PM (PDT)

again, by the time the new copy protection is released, some smart cookie will have figured a way to get around it.

this copy protection crap is old news.  whatever is constructed can be deconstructed.

failing that, keep stealing music…..

Posted by boring_old_news on November 10, 2003 at 7:54 PM (PDT)

This means Sony links content to hardware. This is not the same as the ITMS. You can get the music on the ITMS on disc from elsewhere, you are not limited to it. Sony therefore limits the consumer. Sony therefore, will get sued beyond belief.

Posted by Oliver :) on November 11, 2003 at 6:01 AM (PDT)