Wired: Upload a File, Go to Prison | iLounge News

Wired: Upload a File, Go to Prison

“A new bill was proposed Wednesday that would send a person to jail for five years and fine them for $250,000 for uploading just one file to a peer-to-peer network.

The bill was introduced by representatives John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) and Howard Berman (D-Calif.).

The bill, called the Author, Consumer and Computer Owner Protection and Security Act of 2003 would allocate more money to the justice department to investigate copyright crimes and would also enable information sharing between countries to help in copyright enforcement abroad.

The bill states that uploading a single file of copyright content qualifies as a felony.”

« CNN: Music industry wins approval of 871 subpoenas

“PMPE” movie features iPod »

Comments

Talk about prison overcrowding… I don’t think they could fit everyone in there :)

Do people who steal CDs get a $250,000 fine? They are getting even more than one song…

Posted by Jon in Seattle, WA on July 19, 2003 at 1:09 AM (CDT)

hang them.

Posted by George Bush on July 19, 2003 at 2:41 AM (CDT)

What a buch of BS!  How would they controle it ?

Posted by Rasmus on July 19, 2003 at 6:56 AM (CDT)

As for Rep Howard Berman-California, I say recall his a—!

Posted by Gray Davis, Gov of Calif on July 19, 2003 at 7:07 AM (CDT)

damn demicrats all ways starting sh*& in washington just like Gore did about 20 years ago damn

Posted by Phill in Texas on July 19, 2003 at 7:34 AM (CDT)

ummm… isn’t the court system already overburdened? are taxpayers really exited about spending time/money on prosecuting some kid who downloaded a poorly ripped copy of a Radiohead song? Give me a break… *sheesh*

only in america.

Posted by tina on July 19, 2003 at 8:46 AM (CDT)

Indeed, there isn’t room for everyone. They will have to be very selective about who they decide to prosecute.

Phill: Learn how to spell.

Posted by collie on July 19, 2003 at 8:57 AM (CDT)

Pretty lame if you ask me. The RIAA is out of control and this sort of stupid legislation just encourages them. Bleh.

Posted by Chris on July 19, 2003 at 10:18 AM (CDT)

I thought our representives in Washington represented the people, not the coporations who line their pockets…

Posted by dk789 in Houston, TX on July 19, 2003 at 10:50 AM (CDT)

For downloading one file? Are they serious?
Give me a serious f*ck^%g break!

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on July 19, 2003 at 10:54 AM (CDT)

How do you upload a file to a p2p network? The whole point of the network is for others users ( peers ) to connect to YOUR computer and download a file.

Bill is already sounding faulty.

Posted by Stasyna on July 19, 2003 at 11:30 AM (CDT)

Imagine throwing a bunch of regular people into a jail filled with a bunch of real criminals. I’m sure all the inmates are hoping this passes so that they can get some love-action with some dork who sits in front of the computer all day.

Posted by narco in Burbank on July 19, 2003 at 2:17 PM (CDT)

In Portland they recently released prisoners into the streets.  Tax base inadequate to handle the costs.  Numerous other states and municipalities very close to same solution.  Perhaps the file uploaders would be safer in jail while the criminals roam the streets!

Posted by Steve on July 19, 2003 at 3:09 PM (CDT)

Nice to be in the Netherlands. This type of idiot legislation will never be accepted here!

Posted by React on July 19, 2003 at 3:13 PM (CDT)

You See People !

The Record Companies are LOOSING sooooo much money on P2P networks ...... that they have to now sue over 1 Million people.

Those poor poor Record Company People are going to faint when they get their legal bill !!!  ;)

Posted by jsmoove7 on July 19, 2003 at 4:32 PM (CDT)

i think this would apply to if someone downloads a song from your shared library or whatever…

the RIAA are trying to turn millions of people into FELONS? thats like making it a felony to jaywalk!

Posted by anarcation on July 19, 2003 at 5:13 PM (CDT)

If anything, I think they should make the punishment for stealing a song the same for stealing a CD.

Posted by narco in Burbank on July 19, 2003 at 6:09 PM (CDT)

Finally a true deterrent for the young theives of this world.
Steal a car = go to jail.
Steal money = go to jail.
Steal music = go to jail.
Stealing is illegal.
Against the law.
Do you get it?

In the end, you’re not supporting the artists!
It’s like you’re saying, “Damn, I really love this song, but there’s no way in hell I would ever pay these suckers for it. (and) I hope someone else keeps paying these suckers to record music ‘cause I sure ain’t”.

Stealing music is illegal.
Illegal.
You can’t deny that.

Posted by Legal Music Buyer on July 19, 2003 at 8:56 PM (CDT)

Legal Music Buyer, But can u justify what RIAA is doing? You think it’s right to steal person’s freedom over a song? In the Natural Law, thats even more criminalizing.

Posted by Bob on July 19, 2003 at 9:13 PM (CDT)

I buy music all the time, I have only downloaded/borrowed a handful of songs that I originally purchased on cassette (how many times do I have to buy the same album??). I also made copies of cds I borrowed at the library—does that make me a criminal?? As soon as the iTunes music store comes to Canada, count me in. I don’t think playing music nazi is the answer though.

BTW, my job requires me to be backstage at many major concerts & I have seen the tabs these people run up—the poor little artists are not losing out, trust me. They are spoiled beyond belief. And yes, I know about supporting new & upcoming artists—which is why I purchase 95% or more of my music (a lot of which I “taste-tested” online first). But again, I think what the RIAA is doing is wrong. They’re going about it the wrong way. It isn’t scaring anyone off. It’s a waste of time & money.

Posted by tina on July 19, 2003 at 9:55 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >