Wooden iPod nano case announced | iLounge News

Wooden iPod nano case announced

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, October 10, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

image

imageMiniot has introduced the iWood nano, a new iPod nano case hand-crafted from wood. The iWood nano—available in varieties such as maple, mahogany, pear, wengé and walnut—is carved from a single piece of wood and features a hinging lid. It can be ordered with a monogram initial on the outside and a two-line message inside. Pricing was not immediately available.

“The iWood nano is made from the best gift of nature: wood. Massive wood of course from various kinds of trees. Carefully selected and carved with precision, the iWood nano fits and protects the iPod nano like a glove. The iWood nano’s own natural color is not all that makes it unique. Your own monogram engraved on top makes it even more personal, let alone the discretely hidden message inside.”

« Marware unveils iPod nano case lineup

Mix: iPod tax, 7-11, UK robberies, Music industry »

Comments

It looks amazing…..can definitly see myself with one.

Wonder how much

Posted by salsal on October 10, 2005 at 11:50 PM (PDT)

Looks very sleek. Will definately get one. Unless its way overpriced.

Posted by roch117 on October 10, 2005 at 11:58 PM (PDT)

Wonder how the cover stay closed?  Just a tight hinge? Or some other locking mechanism?  If not, the Nano could fall out when it unexpectedly opened in your pocket or bag…

Looks really elegant, and the engraving looks like something that could save many a marriages…  just not Bill’s smile

Posted by WilliamC in Philippines on October 11, 2005 at 12:00 AM (PDT)

I’ve always got wood around my ipod….......

Posted by blick2000 on October 11, 2005 at 4:20 AM (PDT)

And remember kids, it’s no good without the wood.

Posted by neonano on October 11, 2005 at 6:50 AM (PDT)

Kenny Roger says, “It’s the wood that makes it good” :D

Posted by enero in New York, NY on October 11, 2005 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

thats some nice shutyourmouth my girl likes it im do one for her for her b day.

Posted by INK1 on October 11, 2005 at 8:15 PM (PDT)

that’s pretty cool, but i’d prefer a more “un-natural” case if you know what i mean

Posted by Zach on October 11, 2005 at 8:42 PM (PDT)

I had my doubts initially about this case, since two of the woods ( Mahogany and Wenge ) are listed as ‘at risk of extinction’ by Friends of the Earth. A reply from Miniot has stated that their Amsterdam suppliers are Forest Stewardship Council certified, which is the closest to a guarantee of sustainability there is.  Having said that, I’d be interested to see exactly which stocks of mahogany are sustainable.  Miniot say the final version of their website will have information on the wood, FSC certification and the environment.

Posted by entelechy on October 12, 2005 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

hmm…price was announced.  $90US, sounds a bit steep to me.  The custom monogram and message are an additional $12 a piece.  If you ask me, a $3 block of wood and a bit of patience could have the same result, if not better.

Maybe I’m just too cheap, but I cannot rationalize spending well over $100 for an item where the material and labour would be under $20.

Posted by Tommy on October 20, 2005 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

There’s also the option for oversize headphones, apparently.

Posted by aludra on October 21, 2005 at 8:39 PM (PDT)

Considerably overpriced, as I see it. I think it’ll be more fun to build one myself than fork over nearly $100 for something as simple as this.

Posted by flatline response on October 21, 2005 at 9:16 PM (PDT)

Too overpriced. But I still love the design and idea. Really hope they bring the price down. As long as not many people buy them, they are bound to drop the price. Just have to wait and hope.

Posted by roch117 on October 21, 2005 at 9:45 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know the e-mail address of this company, because I can’t find it on their website..?

Posted by Alex3245 on October 23, 2005 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

coffin?

Posted by buzz on November 3, 2005 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

I just recieved one of these, IT hold the ipod tight and is such a perfect fit that the ipod nano id held in place perfectly and it does not scratch.

Posted by Gerhard on November 21, 2005 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

Just received my iWood and my nano doesn’t fit. Yes, they say it should be “snug” but should the case warp in order to accomodate a nano? I’m sending it back. Shame.

Posted by Anonymous on November 28, 2005 at 5:50 PM (PDT)

ok it looks awesome but the point of cases are to protect our beloved nano, although the silicon ones look crappy they protect the nano when its dropped (biggest fear) what happens when we drop the wood case? splinters? it shoots open?

Posted by loren on December 4, 2005 at 7:59 PM (PDT)

Sweet, I hope they offer a more design sensitive typographic solution. The big g looks like a bad afterthought in the middle, schlepped on without being considered.  I’ll buy one, without my initials.

Posted by eydudeman on February 13, 2006 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

Tried to return mine, shipped back to them insured 12/15, still no news. 2 emails , 2 days in a row to their email address returned with error. I would suggest trying to contact them by email before bying to be sure they are still out there.

Posted by Lionel on February 17, 2006 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2