WSJ: iPad 2 in production, to be thinner, lighter, faster | iLounge News

WSJ: iPad 2 in production, to be thinner, lighter, faster

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, February 9, 2011
News Categories: iPad

image

Citing people familiar with the matter, the Wall Street Journal reports that Apple’s next-generation iPad is now in production. The report echoes what many prior reports have indicated: that the device will be thinner and lighter, with at least one camera—a front-facing sensor for FaceTime—more memory, and a faster processor. In addition, it claims that the device’s resolution will be “similar” to that of the first-generation iPad; Apple has had trouble improving the display technology, in part because of the screen’s larger size, according to the report. Foxconn is said to be assembling the new model, which will initially be available through Apple as well as Verizon Wireless and AT&T, and is expected to launch in the “next couple of months.”

« Walmart to offer Verizon iPhone 4 starting tomorrow

Apple, Verizon open iPhone 4 orders, cite Feb. 18 ship date »

Comments

I’m excited to hear that it will be thinner and lighter—I think it’s a bit hefty to hold in one hand after a while, like reading in bed.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but the FaceTime cameras really don’t do anything for me. I don’t really use it with my iPhone 4 and don’t see using it in iPad 2.

I’d really like to see a 128 GB version, however. With bigger and bigger apps, plus large collections of photos, videos and music, I hope Apple sees the need for more capacity.

Posted by cxc273 on February 9, 2011 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

thinner and lighter with more storage capacity is the goal here.  Having Face-time implemented is a big plus but if the camera is 1MP then it’s more of a joke.  If I would be in charge then a 3MP would be a good solution.

Otherwise, ... I might consider purchasing the new iPad2 (this time) if price and storage is right.

Posted by dennis on February 9, 2011 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

I’ll try to reserve judgment until we get some more complete and official specs, but based on this description, as with the iPhone, I’m going to wait for the third generation iPad before I consider this device ready for purchase.

Posted by camembert on February 9, 2011 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

And here I was expecting the next iPad to be thicker, heavier and slower…

Posted by ort on February 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

I expect the price to be the same, but don’t be surprised it the price of the original iPad - 16gig version, isn’t dropped by $100-$150 and sold along side the new iPad 2 models at the current price levles.

Similar to what they have done with the past few iPhone revisions.

Posted by Mike on February 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM (PDT)

Facetime is kinda useless, I have a 3G 64gb Ipad now so the only things that could get me to update, would be more storage, a better screen, or a smaller Size, I’d grab a 7” Ipad for traveling. Other than that i’m happy with the current model

Posted by Scarpad on February 9, 2011 at 12:58 PM (PDT)

Yeah, like others I have to say these guesses are pretty obvious.  Seems like @ort here pegged it.

I presume it WILL have a tolerable front-facing camera for Facetime, even if nobody will really use it.  Personally I think facial tracking for gaming or pseudo 3D applications would be of more relevance.

And I presume it won’t have a rear camera at all despite all the pointless calls for it, since again nobody would ever use it.  If it *does* it’ll just be the 1 Megapixel camera from the touch and there more for augmented reality use than as an actual camera.

I’d love them to start climbing upwards in storage, but given how slowly the iPods have done that, I suspect they won’t do that.  Maybe next gen we’ll see a 64GB version.

So slightly thinner, slightly lighter, a little faster, a little better GPU.  No breakthroughs.  And even the latter things won’t be used by any applications until a lot of these have been sold, so the rest of us are safe for a while.

The things that might be breakthroughs like an SD card slot for picture importing, or WiFi syncing, or an HDMI out using a modified dock connector, or a combo screen that can recognize fingers but also support high resolution drawing with a stylus, or a ‘retina display’ all seem like they either won’t happen, or not this time.

Posted by Fanfoot on February 10, 2011 at 9:59 PM (PDT)