WSJ: Smaller iPhone, MobileMe revamp coming this summer?
A new report from the Wall Street Journal has corroborated a story from late last week indicating that Apple is working on a smaller, less expensive version of the iPhone, while adding details of a revamp to Apple’s MobileMe online service suite that could include a cloud-based streaming media service. Citing a person who saw a prototype of the phone late last year, the report states that the new model is codenamed “N97,” is said to be “about half the size of the iPhone 4,” and is to have “an edge-to-edge screen” as well as “voice-based navigation.” It is intended for sale alongside Apple’s existing iPhone line and would be available to carriers for roughly half the price of traditional iPhone models. The new phone is expected to be released this summer, although those plans could change, according to the report’s source.
Also mentioned in the report is a revamp of Apple’s MobileMe online service suite. According to a person familiar with the matter, Apple is considering making MobileMe a free service to serve as an online “locker” for personal data such as photos, music, and videos. In addition, MobileMe could also be part of a new online music service for Apple, that would give users access to their iTunes libraries from mobile devices like the iPhone and iPad without the need for the devices be synched via cable with a computer, or for physical onboard components to store the actual files. The report notes that the new service could debut as early as June, dependent on the progress of licensing talks that are said to be in their preliminary stages; according to the report, Apple had planned for the service to roll out last year.
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- Sprint, UK’s EE add Wi-Fi calling with iOS 8.3
- Apple releases iOS 8.3, iCloud Photo Library comes out of beta
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?