WWDC Keynote heightens iPhone 3.0 accessory concerns
During a presentation focused on re-highlighting iPhone OS 3.0 features that had previously been demonstrated at an Apple SDK event, Dock Connector accessory failures twice interrupted an extended look at OS 3.0 development efforts to date. Following smooth and occasionally impressive presentations by Gameloft, Airstrip, ScrollMotion, Tom Tom, and Ngmoco, an educational company called Pasco demonstrated what was to be a science teaching application with an iPhone OS 3.0 balloon-monitoring sensor accessory, which failed to perform during the demonstration; subsequently, co-developers Line6 and Planet Waves were scuttled in a presentation of a software and accessory-based guitar and amplifier control system when the accessory failed to work.
Though the developers made light of the accessory failures to some audience applause and laughter, Apple Senior Vice-President Scott Forstall—a participant in the first presentation—noted that the problems seemed to be correlated to the number of people watching, and said that the software had worked properly during rehearsals. Combined with problems iLounge’s editors have noted with recently released accessories and their related iPhone applications, the demonstration failures raise questions as to the user experiences that will follow when broadened Dock Connector accessory support is introduced in the iPhone OS 3.0 release this month.
- TwelveSouth releases BookBook for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Report: Apple outlines more stringent requirements for MFi case makers
- Report: Bose products returning to Apple Stores?
- Don’t miss our Best of the Year Awards 2014
- Beats introduces Solo2 Wireless Headphones
- Nautilus announces HealthKit integration
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Cook ‘deeply offended’ by BBC allegations
- BBC investigative report claims Apple fails to protect Chinese workers
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Tim Cook announces $20M raised for (PRODUCT)RED in internal e-mail
- Apple announces 64-bit and iOS 8 requirements for app updates
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple halts online sales in Russia
- Apple found not guilty in iPod, iTunes Store lock-in suit
- Apple Pay cards represent 90 percent of US credit purchase volume; Samsung readying rival service
- Apps of the Week: Microsoft’s MSN apps
- STM Dux for iPhone 6
- Kenu Stance Compact Tripod for iPhone
- SwitchEasy Boombox for iPhone 6
- STM Skinny Pro for iPad Air 2
- SwitchEasy Rave for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Wrap for iPhone 6 Plus
- Dog & Bone Wetsuit for iPhone 6
- Belkin Qode Ultimate + Ultimate Pro Keyboard Cases for iPad Air 2
- Evollve Ozobot
- Skech Crystal for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Hard Rubber + Ice for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPad Air 2
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.1
- An Easy Guide To Setting Up + Using Apple Pay In iOS 8.1
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Mind The Gap: What’s iPad’s Role In An iPhone 6 (Plus) World?
- Editorial: Why I Switched To T-Mobile (And You Might, Too)
- The Early Guide To Apple Watch Apps
- iLounge’s Top iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus Case Picks (Fall 2014)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0