XtremeMac announces Luna clock radio | iLounge News

XtremeMac announces Luna clock radio

image

Just in time for the holidays, XtremeMac has today announced Luna ($150), a dual alarm clock and audio system for Dock Connecting iPods. Entering a market currently dominated by iHome’s iH5-series clock radios, Luna comes equipped with a modern white-on-black digital clock face that displays the current time, full date, and dual alarm details by default, switching to an iPod-like menu interface for when you need to change settings. The screen’s brightness is user-adjustable. Four dials on the unit’s top provide controls over bass, treble, radio tuning and volume; an included 18-button remote control lets you access many of the iPod’s and Luna’s features from a distance. The unit will ship on December 18, 2006 to online pre-orders, and will be sold in Apple retail stores starting around the same date.

« Black Friday iPod deals offered

ezGear intros EZL iPod stand »

Comments

I’m truly starting to like Extreme. Their products have a certain appealing character to me, and the Luna looks sharp.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on November 23, 2006 at 10:33 AM (CST)

I agree, Xtreme is doing an exceptional job in their design department. Their accessories are highly functional, while maintaining an importance on design, just as the makers of the product they are complimenting. I don’t know that I will be able to not pre-order this clock to replace my IH5, love the universal dock, love the display, willing to bet the sound is as good as the IH5, and the thing is just beautiful!

Posted by divigation on November 23, 2006 at 11:23 AM (CST)

I am wondering if you can pick which playlist you wake up to and if it has a battery backup.  If it has both of those features I’m getting one!

Posted by JimOSU on November 23, 2006 at 3:04 PM (CST)

I love this new product. I think it has a very cool design. I point I’d like to know:
Why all the companies that create a thing like this miss the Video Output connection?
I ‘m looking for a device like Luna, with Allarm Clock, FM Radio, Aux In and Output Audio and Video connection. Any Idea is very well accepted.
Anyway, Luna is my favourite one at the moment!

Posted by Paul on November 23, 2006 at 4:25 PM (CST)

I’m expecting for the ilounge report to get its sound quality.  If it’s over the top, I’m surely getting one, becaue I’m still thinking if I get the JBL on time or maybe de iH5, but this one look nicer.

Posted by fep on November 24, 2006 at 8:37 AM (CST)

Sweet. I look forward to the review, I love the looks and want a new alarm clock with iPod dock.

Posted by Rick on November 24, 2006 at 10:48 AM (CST)

I just pre-ordered.  Very nicely designed.

Posted by mitch on November 24, 2006 at 11:54 PM (CST)

There does not seem to be a video out on this unit.  Anyone know about specs?

Posted by sosha on November 25, 2006 at 12:22 PM (CST)

There are such units with video outputs; I recall definitely seeing them, but for the life of me I don’t understand why those that have them don’t brag more about them.

I believe it was the JWIN unit that had it, I don’t remember now.

I have no DVD player in my bedroom; I like to hook up the iPod to watch video on my (small non-high-def) TV there. Would love a unit to just dock the iPod and get additional audio as well as video output to the TV.

Not sure I’d want it with the alarm clock, though. Would want the alarm clock on my nightstand.

I’ll probably skip that kind of unit in the end, just get an iJet remote.

Posted by lkalliance on November 26, 2006 at 1:42 AM (CST)

Wait…no snooze button?

Posted by lkalliance on November 26, 2006 at 1:35 PM (CST)

There is a snooze button and a sleep button too. The front buttons serve as dimmer and volume, snooze and sleep, and the menu navigation and selection system. These buttons are context senstive and adapt to the current status of the unit - for example, tuning while in FM/AM or adjusting sleep or snooze time on the fly if in one of those modes.

Posted by xtremeGB on November 26, 2006 at 3:14 PM (CST)

Also, the two rear buttons are instant on/off switches for alarm 1 and 2 and if you press and hold they are shortcuts right into the alarm settings menu for each.

You can not pick a particular song or playlist through the menu system. If iPod is selected for waking to, it will play from where the iPod is cued.

Posted by xtremeGB on November 26, 2006 at 3:16 PM (CST)

Ah, I see now. It seems that NONE of the iPod alarm clock units can utilize a particular playlist or song for the alarm function, which is a real shame—I would love to have a playlist of gentle songs playing in sleep mode and then a separate set of louder songs used for alarm mode. Currently I’d have to actually set the alarm playlist playing before I went to sleep.

Can anyone confirm that this is due to limitations in the iPod firmware? Does anyone have any insight as to whether Apple has indicated it might include such functionality in later firmware?

Posted by lkalliance on November 26, 2006 at 8:23 PM (CST)

It definitely has a battery backup. Even with no batteries present, Luna automatically keeps the time and alarm settings for as long as 10 minutes with no power.

Posted by xtremeGB on November 27, 2006 at 12:00 AM (CST)

Umm…10 minutes?  No battery backup in the thing?  10 minutes is a virtually useless feature.

Also, I’d never like for my clock radio to wake me with my favorite music video/TV Show/Movie/etc.  What’s up with that feature request guys?

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on November 27, 2006 at 1:33 PM (CST)

To be more clear - There is a battery backup with two AA batteries, AND there is an additional feature which will keep the time, etc. for up to 10 minutes even with no batteries present. This is useful if your batteries are dead and there is a brief power interruption.

Posted by xtremeGB on November 27, 2006 at 2:05 PM (CST)

I am very pleased with the fact that you can set the sleepand wake voulme seperate. I have never seen a unit that can do this before.

Posted by cooter on November 28, 2006 at 11:45 AM (CST)

does anybody know if it charges the iPod?

Posted by PunkDrummer4EVER on November 28, 2006 at 2:08 PM (CST)

Luna will charge your iPod

Posted by XtremeTR on November 28, 2006 at 3:31 PM (CST)

This is definitely on my list of things to get!

Posted by cd on November 29, 2006 at 5:32 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >