XtremeMac debuts MicroShield for 5G iPod | iLounge News

XtremeMac debuts MicroShield for 5G iPod

image

image

image

imageXtremeMac tomorrow will announce a new version of its MicroShield for the fifth-generation iPod. The clear hard case features a two-piece design that snaps onto the front and back of the iPod, offering protection for the body and screen of the device while providing access to the click wheel, dock connector and earphone jack. The $25 case comes with one front and two rear panels—one with an integrated belt clip, and one without. The MicroShield will be available in 30GB and 60GB models to accommodate both sizes of the new iPod. The case will be available in stores and online in one to two weeks, according to XtremeMac.

« Griffin announces TuneBuds for iPod shuffle

Tekserve announces grand opening of iTopia »

Comments

It looks ever so nice!  I agree with some of the others: it looks so nice, I would want a case to protect the case *lol* :)

If I gain the courage to buy 5G iPod, I think I will definitely opt for this case!

Posted by Jing on November 30, 2005 at 6:10 PM (CST)

Looks cool?  is it bullet proof?  lol

Posted by AlmondJoy on November 30, 2005 at 7:49 PM (CST)

I wonder if the ipod sock will over this ... hmmmmm ;)

Posted by Pam on December 1, 2005 at 2:08 AM (CST)

just what i’ve been waiting for.  would love to see some actual photos rather than the photoshops.  I had a clear acrylic case for my 3g ipod that ended up scratching the screen.  This looks like a better version though.

Posted by OMGWTFSTFU on December 1, 2005 at 10:30 AM (CST)

Does anyone know when this will be availabe from UK suppliers? They all seem to have the Nano version but not the 5G.

Posted by Spudey on December 2, 2005 at 1:49 PM (CST)

I’ve been waiting for this case since the 5G video iPod came out.  It seems that the sides come over the edges and should not scratch that much.  Who wouldn’t get the clip on the back?

Posted by AJD on December 5, 2005 at 12:39 AM (CST)

Just got my Microshield case today for my 30gb 5G.  I love it!  Very well made.  You can tell this thing is made to last.  Fits the iPod very well.  I have the black 5G, and this case shows it off very nicely.  So long little white sleeve!

Posted by avenger on December 21, 2005 at 9:47 PM (CST)

My Microshield case just arrived today, and I am VERY pleased.  Holey Moley, it looks great, goes on and off simply, and is VERY sturdy.

Yes, the bottom and top are open - I guess they could have crafted this so it would have tiny openings just for the dock connector and headphones, but the way the iPod fits into the thing the corners are protected, and the whole thing is safe and snug.

Interesting note:  There was a “dummy” ipod packed into the case to show how it would fit, and this dummy is made of the same rigid plastic with screen-printed details.  It is the same size and dimensions as the iPod, and is actually a little “box!”  If I were giving an iTunes card as a gift, this would be a great way to present it - it looks like a transparent iPod!

Posted by CurtMabry on December 22, 2005 at 4:31 PM (CST)

Do these scratch the sides of the iPod when putting them on and taking them off?

I just got mine in the mail yesterday, but after seeing all the scratches on the “demo” iPod that came with the case, I’m afraid to put it on my real one.

In addition, the plastic of the case itself seems to scratch really easily.

To anyone who’s actually tried this: please help.

Posted by CEMA98 on December 23, 2005 at 11:29 AM (CST)

is there a definitive review from anyone that has a microshield for the video ipod?

Posted by jason on January 7, 2006 at 9:18 PM (CST)

for anyone who has one… how well does the microshield protect your 5G? does the case scratch your ipod at all?

Posted by ben on January 9, 2006 at 3:53 PM (CST)

I received mine today - it looks good, but came with some scratches on it including one on the screen cover - hoping this was a dud so have asked for a replacement. Watch this space…

Posted by louise on January 10, 2006 at 11:08 AM (CST)

I was initially very impressed with this product.  However, there are two critical design flaws with this product.  1.)  The top portion of the case comes in direct contact with the Ipod 5G screen.  2.)  The design permits a slight amount of movement along the long axis of your ipod, so essentially it rubs against your screen during normal use.  The result is visible abrasions on your screen from the friction.  So, this product does exactly what I bought it to prevent.  Suggest if you buy this that you put a clear shield between your Ipod and the MicroShield.

Posted by rb on January 11, 2006 at 2:00 PM (CST)

I had the same problem as rb.  After one day of using this case on my 5G ipod video, it has major scuffing screen.  The scuffs are 10 times worst than any scratches I had to begin with.

Posted by Chris on January 13, 2006 at 3:16 PM (CST)

initally impressed but the sides are flimsy but they hold up. would not recomend by any means looks like i just spent 24.99 for click wheel protector. can wait for my iskin to arrive!

Posted by blake on January 29, 2006 at 4:32 PM (CST)

I have it and dont ever worry about the case scratching or the case popping off while on the belt-clip. IMHO, the Microshield also looks better than the iSee. Other pluses are that it comes w/ a bonus click-wheel film, and the belt clip is very sturdy. the screen area is also “indented

Posted by LFCali on February 1, 2006 at 6:59 PM (CST)

I received a video iPod for Christmas. My first video iPod has a defective screen and I returned it and was given a new unit. I IMMEDIATELY- the moment I got the box open - put an XtremeMac Microshield over the unit. This was in January. I noticed scuff marks and scratches on the screen and thought it was the Microshield. I removed the MicroShield and discovered that is was the screen on the iPod that was scuffed. I did not remove the Microshield from the moment I got the iPod out of the box until the first week in February. Has anyone else had this experience? What do I do?

Posted by Elliot on February 11, 2006 at 3:32 PM (CST)

I ordered this the day I bought my ipod. It looked great on it at first, that it took about two days before my screen was completely pitted and scratched from just a little dirt coming in throught the top of the case. the case is scratched to crap and my screen is scratched to crap. I don’t recommend this to anyone.

Posted by BigKahunaFSU on February 13, 2006 at 10:39 AM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2