XtremeMac explains Luna X2 delay, adds iPhone support | iLounge News

XtremeMac explains Luna X2 delay, adds iPhone support

Following several delays and correspondingly angry reader comments, XtremeMac today confirmed the revised shipping date for its Luna X2 iPod clock radio and announced the addition of iPhone compatibility to the system. In a note to iLounge, XtremeMac President and CEO Gary Bart explained, “We apologize for the delays with Luna X2. These delays are the result of factors outside of our control. We have taken advantage of the time delay to also incorporate iPhone compatibility into Luna X2, so that we can deliver the product with even more value than originally planned. Luna X2 will definitely go into production in July and will be available from XtremeMac and our retail partners by the beginning of August. XtremeMac wants to deliver only the very best products to market and assure that our customers are truly satisfied with their purchase. We understand customers’ frustrations with pre-ordering products that are viewed ahead of actual shipping. Sometimes, complex products take longer than anticipated to complete. XtremeMac certainly appreciates everyone’s patience.”

Mix: iClooly, Radiohead, iTunes Festival, Phoenix »

Comments

Now, if I could just get my InCharge FM modulator.

I ordered it almost a month ago, it was delayed until 5/30, now it is delayed again until 6/20.

All the while, no explanation, and certainly no indication on their website that there is a back-order, that the device is not immediately available.

I want the product, but If I can’t get it, then I’ll have to reconsider.

I just wonder if this is somehow indicative of XtremeMac. Good design, but fails on delivery…

Not giving up yet, but distressful none-the-less.

Posted by hiptobesquare on June 3, 2008 at 2:51 PM (CDT)

Too bad ExtremeMac is having delay issues with the Luna X2. Although this does work out for those like me who very much wanted to purchase one but couldn’t or wouldn’t because it was not iPhone compatible. This was indeed a deal breaker for me. But because of the delays they got the chance to make it compatible with the iPhone as well so the deal is back on.

I’ve purchased ExtremeMac products in the past and have always been satisfied, and whenever I got a product that wasn’t working properly, they took care of it in a helpful and timely manner. I will most definitely buy the Luna X2 whenever it drops as well as other products. This product delay, in my opinion was worth it. Hopefully, it makes the product even better than originally planned.

Posted by Tenchi211 on June 3, 2008 at 4:06 PM (CDT)

I am afraid I have just cancelled my order.  While I respect that product introductions can miss ship dates; I find it somewhat contemptible that they could not notify the customers who placed orders months ago of the delay.

I greatly appreciate that iLounge has let us know what is going on, but perhaps they should have sent me an e-mail at some point in the last several months.

Ordered in February, Supposed to ship in April, Cancelled in June, Maybe a July Ship Date?

Posted by Dewy on June 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM (CDT)

If only Xtrememac would provide customer support of any kind.

I’ve emailed and called them about getting a replacement Tuffshield for my iPod touch,  supposedly with a lifetime warranty, with no response. For three months. At all.

They certainly aren’t getting any more money from me ever again.

Posted by Daniel S on June 3, 2008 at 8:08 PM (CDT)

*Sigh*

I have been waiting for the Luna X2 ever since my original Luna died 6 weeks ago. I guess I should just go ahead and buy an iHome instead… 8^(

Posted by arb on June 3, 2008 at 8:51 PM (CDT)

I pre ordered my Luna X2 in October 2007 from curry’s I shop, every month they have released another release date and it just kept getting delayed until the next month.

I have to thank ilounge for giving some actually useful information, its going to be nearly a year from the day I pre-ordered this to the day I receive it.

I am very disappointed with Xtrememac, I have sent them numerous e-mails to witch they never replied. I appreciate that they are having problems with the Luna X2 and that they strive to release only top quality products, however this should not effect their customer service in any way

That said I shall still keep my pre-order, however I will be searching for alarm clocks in the mean time, if a better or a highly recommended alarm clock is released I will have no choice but to buy it. I would rather Xtrememac release a top quality product that I will be very pleased with, than them releasing one that is a complete shambles and be a waste of my time and money, hence why I am keeping my Pre-Order as I believe they have sufficient time to make a brilliant product.

Posted by Sheepboy on June 4, 2008 at 8:36 AM (CDT)

Thanks for the apology - too bad it sounds like a game of pass the buck.  I agree with the other comments here; a big thank you should go to iLounge, both for keeping us informed, and for allowing us to publicly vent our frustrations.

I guess the reason why we the consumers are so upset by the delay is because Xtrememac are the only company that have come up with a workable Ipod alarmclock. (This is an assumption because I have not seen the Luna x2 yet).  I am fed up with many manufacturers who try to fob us off with poorly thought out or crippled products.  For example: I can’t understand why some manufacturers think they can sell us a bedside alarm clock with a display that is not adjustable and is bright enough to read a book by!

Posted by David Chiesa on June 4, 2008 at 9:57 AM (CDT)

apreciate everyone’s comments above…i am new to this situation and it is puzzling…

i called extrememac today and neither their representative nor their website can confirm that the luna x2 will be iphone compatible??? ... at least to me ...

any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
i would pre-order one if it were iphone compatible.

thanks

Posted by willy on June 6, 2008 at 5:59 PM (CDT)

It’s not the delay per se I’m frustrated by: it’s xtrememac’s refusal to provide updates of any kind; their failure to respond to email inquiries; and the complete lack of communication in general.  Virtually every other company I’ve ever dealt with will be proactive in informing me if an item is backordered.  Silence is not a good customer service tool.

I got fed up with the inability to get information and cancelled my order after a rather baffled phone rep told my husband it would be late August…probably…

I bought the iHome iH99 (iphone compatible, works beautifully) - and you can TURN THE DISPLAY OFF entirely!  (yay)

Posted by rach on June 10, 2008 at 1:06 PM (CDT)

As a software developer, I understand the factors involved that can delay a product. What baffles me is the lack of communication from Xtrememac, esp for the people that pre-ordered the LunaX2. People are only willing to wait so long for a product that may or may not deliver the goods as promised.  I need a new alarm clock and although I’m not crazy about the iHome I have now, at least I don’t have to wait 9 months or more to get one. Nor will it cost me $150.

Posted by izcoop on June 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM (CDT)

Terrible company.

Preordered product in Jan, when everyone was saying it would ship in Feb, was told it would ship in March.  March came and went with no responses from company.  Attempts to contact via website or email failed.  Finally talked to a person via phone in April who said late May.  Just found out it will now be late August, 7 months after it was initially supposed to ship with almost no communication from the company.  I will never do business with this company again.

Thanks to iLounge for providing the explanation and communication that ExtremeMac did not.

Posted by TickedOff on June 25, 2008 at 7:30 AM (CDT)

I think we just found out what the “factors outside their control” were: They were just bought by Imation.  Question is, will Imation do anything to improve their reliability in meeting production dates?  Clearly, the fact that they were bought for $9M (including $2M in assumed debt) tells a clear story: They created great products, but were not able to keep up with demand.  They got overwhelmed and had to bail.  Perhaps the Imation deal will be good in terms of production, but I fear it will be bad for overall quality and design.

Posted by Rick on June 30, 2008 at 9:47 AM (CDT)

“Luna X2 will definitely go into production in July and will be available from XtremeMac and our retail partners by the beginning of August.” They should add, “may definitely go into production” as now when I called XtremeMac, it’s going to be available at the END of August.

Posted by John on July 15, 2008 at 5:47 PM (CDT)

I just got an email from them telling me my estimated ship date is 9/19/2008!  That is a long cry from available end of august.  I am starting to look for other options now. Anyone use the newest iHome units?

Posted by John on July 29, 2008 at 1:50 AM (CDT)

Still waiting…The customer service rep at Mac/PC Connection said it probably won’t be delivered. Non of their distributors have it. Sounded like a rep who’s talking without checking - I’d think extrememac (or its acquiring company)wouldn’t be happy with reps saying such things - if it is coming out in August. It’s a little rough on the clientele to allow them to pre-order and not produce a product for 8 months.

Posted by Shawn on August 8, 2008 at 6:13 PM (CDT)

I had an order placed with Buy.com and got the following automated response (I placed my order back in March)....doesnt sound good

We were recently informed that the item listed below from order #40039465 is no longer available from that supplier. Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience.

Your order for this product has been automatically cancelled. If you paid by credit card, you will not be charged. If you paid by another method of payment, for example PayPal or GoogleCheckout, please allow 2 business days to process your refund.

sku - 206212156 : description - XtremeMac Luna X2 iPod Alarm Clock and Room Audio System

Posted by Andrew on August 11, 2008 at 9:45 PM (CDT)

haha awesome. i sent my luna (original version) back to them around january because it was broken the second i took it out of the box. i called them up and was pleasantly surprised that they said they would replace it for free, no questions asked… they then proceeded to say that if i want, i can wait and get the luna x2 for free when it comes out. i said sure why not, sounds like a good deal.

... needless to say, its the end of august and i haven’t heard a thing from them. i’ve sent dozens of emails and called numerous times. the iHome is looking better and better and i’m almost thinking of just eating the money that i sunk into purchasing the original version… :-\

Posted by Brendan on August 27, 2008 at 1:16 AM (CDT)

I have been desperate to find a good alarm clock radio that is compatible with the iphone. I was interested in this product but it seems that every month it is suppose to ship it gets delayed another month. From the comments I hear that this company does not even respond to its customers regarding the delays. I have been waiting almost a year and wonder if its coming out at all. If I knew for sure its coming out in a month then I may as well wait another but at this point I don’t know anymore. I just may have to find an alternative product.

Posted by Terry on August 31, 2008 at 11:59 AM (CDT)

don’t waste your time and $ on xtrememac…luna x2 delayed again til OCTOBER! no response or updates from xtrememac. customer service should be top priority. not even a hint of remorse or regret. eff xtremehacks!

Posted by charizo on September 3, 2008 at 12:29 PM (CDT)

I honestly can’t believe this.  They just told me a few weeks ago that the product was going to be delivered (FINALLY) during September.  This when I placed an order back in March!  On top of it all, their customer service has been truly appalling: no updates, no responses, no comments.  Can you believe that they had the time to place a freaking comment on iLounge, but couldn’t just automatically send one to the list of customers who ordered the d@mned Luna X2??  That’s totally ridiculous.  The excuses are just lame - production issues MIGHT be beyond their control, but customer service issues are certainly not.  XtremeMac - get your act together ASAP and learn to reply to your customers - or even better - learn to PROACTIVELY contact your customers when you experience 5 freaking month delays on shipping the product.  Uber-lame.

Posted by MoreDelays?!? on September 9, 2008 at 7:35 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >