XtremeMac goes iPod only, sells Mac business
In a decision to focus solely on the booming iPod accessory market, XtremeMac today announced that it has sold its line of Mac server products to Gizmac, a new company headed by XtremeMac co-founder Tim Cave. Gizmac, which will not be associated with XtremeMac, assumes full control of the XrackPRO and XtroVERT products for Apple’s Xserve, and will now manufacture and market them.
XtremeMac CEO Gary Bart explained to iLounge why he elected to sell off the Mac peripheral business. “As a company we have been operating under the premise that it makes greater economic sense for XtremeMac to build iPod accessories versus pro products, consequently, the pro products have not seen continued advances and improvements from a product development standpoint,” Bart said. “This short changes the pro customers and is not in keeping with the level of dedication and support we like provide.”
Bart said the move also allows XtremeMac to dedicate its efforts to bringing out the best iPod add-ons possible. “We believe a dedicated focus, company wide, sends a clear message to our employees, customers, media, Apple and others that our product line supports our goal of being the number one iPod accessory manufacturer,” he said.
The XtremeMac CEO went on to say that the deal will benefit both founders because they each had separate visions for the company. “Additionally, Tim Cave and I had different goals for the company’s direction, and our parting ways allows us each to accomplish our individual plans,” Bart said.
Because XtremeMac now only manufactures and sells iPod products and no Mac gear, iLounge asked Bart if there will be a name change in the future. There won’t — Bart said he will continue to use the current name. “We believe we have built strong brand equity over the past three and a half years and changing now would dilute that,” he said.
- Philips announces Hue Go connected lamp
- Apple threatens action against accessory makers using leaked device specs
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- Report: Apple outlines more stringent requirements for MFi case makers
- Report: Bose products returning to Apple Stores?
- Beats introduces Solo2 Wireless Headphones
- Report: New 12.9” iPad will feature Force Touch, Bluetooth stylus, NFC
- Apple asking music labels to kill Spotify’s free streaming tier
- Apple updates support article confirming Apple Watch tattoo issue
- Apple reportedly hires four more producers from BBC Radio 1
- Limited Apple Watch supplies due to faulty taptic engine?
- Twitter CEO hints at larger Spotlight integration
- Problem with iPad app grounds American Airlines flights
- Apple rejects Apple Watch apps that just tell time, requires independent approval for certain health apps
- Users with arm tattoos report problems with Apple Watch sensors
- China outpaces U.S. in iPhone sales for first time
- Uniq Transforma for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?