Yahoo to buy MusicMatch for $160 million | iLounge News

Yahoo to buy MusicMatch for $160 million

“Internet company Yahoo Inc. said on Tuesday it will buy privately held music software company Musicmatch Inc. for about $160 million in a bid to bolster its online music services.

San Diego-based Musicmatch offers software that lets users manage digital music collection and listen to online radio stations. Customers also download songs from its music store.”

« Speck Products announces FlipStand for 4G/HP iPods

OWC and NewerTech announce high-capacity batteries for older iPods »

Comments

Does anyone actually use MusicMatch any more?  Did they ever?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 11:47 AM (CDT)

I did unfortunately.  Let’s just say I still have registry keys installed… :@

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 12:02 PM (CDT)

Music Who? ‘nuf said.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 12:15 PM (CDT)

Music Match is terrible.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 1:06 PM (CDT)

I did use when they introduced online music store…... that was long long ago….. a real memory killer

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 2:03 PM (CDT)

What a waste of $160M.

They could have developed something without the tarnished branding and reputation of MusicMatch for 1/100th of that…wow….glad I don’t own an YHOO.O

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 2:14 PM (CDT)

U guys jus say that musicmatch is bad coz u only used it when u people got ur Ipods

MusicMatch Is an Awesome piece of software that needs to be respected.

I agree it might not be very good when it comes to connectiong it with the ipod but otherwise as a WMP replacement its one of the best programs…id say its a tie between Musicmatch and Winamp

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 2:29 PM (CDT)

$160m?

They really got ripped off… I wouldnt pay 160 cents for it.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 2:30 PM (CDT)

A friend of mine has that crap… it constantly asking to upgrade and there is not clear way to do anything….it sucks…

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 2:44 PM (CDT)

This is a tough one.  MusicMatch has some really good things about it, but also some really bad things.

I love the tagging and file naming flexibility.  I still use these features for organizing my music.  I like that it works with a variety of MP3 players.

I hate the interface, so I use iTunes for playback.

The biggest thing going against MM is that it cost $20 to unlock the good features.  Wonder if Yahoo is gonna get rid of that?

In the long term, it’s a great move for Yahoo to bolster it’s music store…a lot of people go to Yahoo each day.

I wonder if it will come out that Yahoo tried to partner with Apple, or vice versa?  I don’t know this to be true, but someone at Yahoo should’ve considered it before spending $160m, and someone at Apple should’ve considered it in light of how much traffic Yahoo gets.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 2:54 PM (CDT)

I’ve played with every version of MusicMatch since version 4…never been a fan, likely never will be…

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 4:14 PM (CDT)

It’s okay for what it’s worth. Got the best tagging solution out there, I must say.
-MMJB beats iTunes, but how hard is that anyway?
-It sucks at syncing to handhelds.
-Price is okay I guess, though I would rather pay $5 more and get JRMC.
-The library features needs improvement.

I haven’t tried version nine.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 4:25 PM (CDT)

quote Rasmus :“MMJB beats iTunes, but how hard is that anyway?”

Help !!! run children, run !!!

{Ipodium runs and try to find a safe hiding place to avoid the incoming flames…}

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 6:33 PM (CDT)

I hope Yahoo would buy a MP3 player device company or make one similiar to Ipod mini size and capacity but run linux with mp3, ogg, etc. support. Samsung device with 4 Gig hard drive would be good candidate. Have in mind that Samsung is also linux company.  Then,  launch Yahoo-MusicMatch with a FREE device when you sign up at plan of $200 music download worldwide as long as you have valid reputable credit card. This model of free device works in the mobile phone industry but I could not understand why Apple-itunes, Real, Yahoo etc. are not catching this RIDE.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 7:21 PM (CDT)

I still use Musicmatch for it’s fast ripping. The fastest iTunes has ever ripped any cd for me is 8x compared to 32x with Musicmatch. Besides cd ripping it cannot compare to iTunes.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 8:04 PM (CDT)

MMJB?

iTunes?

Good grief! Listening to you argue over two crappy jukebox softwares is making me chuckle… They are both terrible!

Media Centre all the way baby!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 8:48 PM (CDT)

Used musicmatch since the good old days… always sucked.. then i found winamp… winamp works well with my iPod. I only tried music match with rca lyra 1020 and that was the day i finaly uninstalled that software!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 10:49 PM (CDT)

editing above post: I used music mtach before that device, but that was the only device i tried on musicmatch, would never let it touch myPod

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 14, 2004 at 10:51 PM (CDT)

MMJB excels at ripping and tagging, but that’s about it.  I would probably never use it if I could get a new mp3 tag from within itunes for an existing mp3, it only seems to provide it during a cd rip.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 15, 2004 at 2:10 AM (CDT)

Musicmatch needs to trim down and have a more simple interface (like iTunes). Yahoo surely could make a much better software

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on September 15, 2004 at 1:09 PM (CDT)