Young people warned about iPod hearing damage | iLounge News

Young people warned about iPod hearing damage

A new study found that teens and those in their 20’s are at risk of going deaf up to 30 years earlier than their parents because of listening to music on their iPod at high volume levels. According to the study by Deafness Research UK, more than 50% of those aged 16 to 24 listen to their MP3 players for more than an hour a day, but 68% of the group do not realize that listening to at loud volume can cause permanent damage. “A generation ago we would see people going deaf in their sixties or seventies, but we’re now seeing more people going deaf in their forties, which is very worrying,” said Vivienne Michael, the chief executive of Deafness Research UK. “Many young people are regularly using MP3 players for long periods and are frighteningly unaware of the fact that loud noise can permanently damage your hearing.”

« Apple patent filing details iPod touch-screen interface

Yahoo eyeing unrestricted MP3 downloads »

Comments

Volume Limit is your friend.

Posted by Chris on July 20, 2006 at 4:44 PM (CDT)

My self control works for me

Posted by Jonathan Keim on July 20, 2006 at 5:26 PM (CDT)

ah-######### says ‘what’?

Posted by Xenious on July 20, 2006 at 5:35 PM (CDT)

If these kids from the UK doesn’t know playing music at a loud volume can make you deaf then they shouldn’t have been given an MP3 player in the first place. Really daft.

Posted by Jim from Davao on July 20, 2006 at 7:58 PM (CDT)

I’m hearing impaired already.  Please take this article to heart and use sensible volume in moderation, people.

/Hearing aids since 3rd grade.

Posted by Cameron T. on July 20, 2006 at 8:12 PM (CDT)

loZl i love it when people sue comanies for hearing loss, and it turns out its there fault.
LOzL

Posted by name on July 20, 2006 at 10:10 PM (CDT)

take responsibility for yourself… if its too loud turn it down!!!

Posted by mike on July 20, 2006 at 11:45 PM (CDT)

Same damned thing with portable CD players. No reason to pick on MP3 players.

Posted by Adam on July 21, 2006 at 11:10 AM (CDT)

I’m buying a CD player, and will get rid off my mp3 player because I’m not stupid and don’t want to go deaf.  lol

Posted by JOG on July 21, 2006 at 11:48 AM (CDT)

JOG, I sincerely hope you are kidding…! only a fool would think that:) lol

Posted by Daniel on July 21, 2006 at 2:35 PM (CDT)

Chris: “Volume Limit is your friend.”

A while back, I posted on this site that I wanted the Volume Limit for my old 3G iPod. I was bitch-slapped into the next century by a bunch of pinheads who thought I was colluding with “The Man” for wanting such an oppressive feature.

And to think I was only trying to protect my hearing.

Posted by mportuesi on July 21, 2006 at 3:16 PM (CDT)

I’m tired of seeing stories like this… “iPods will make you death”, “Girl on bikehit by car cause of iPod” or “ipods cause discractions…..” etc.

Did we not have the same problems with the orginal walkman, what about portable CD players. Heck what about other MP3 players.

No, there must be something special about Apples headphones that makes the ipod different from every other portable audio device on the planet.

Sorry about the complaining folks but the people that write such articles can’t be seriously thinking all hearing loss and accidents due to wearing earphones are restricted to ipod owners.

Posted by 3rdEye on July 21, 2006 at 4:27 PM (CDT)

3rdEye - You hit the nail on the head.
I’m sick of it too.

Posted by Mr. Anderson on July 21, 2006 at 9:47 PM (CDT)

Exactly what i was thinking sir. 3rdeye

Posted by Vinceee on July 22, 2006 at 4:16 PM (CDT)

I just checked my kitchen knives.  No corks covering the tips and, what’s even worse, no warning label saying “DO NOT STICK IN EYE AND TWIST”. Sheesh.

Posted by icantpod on July 23, 2006 at 11:27 AM (CDT)

Ok, so, can someone PLEASE tell me, what is it so special about the ipod that makes you deaf, as opposed to all other cd-players/mp3-players.. is this a bit odd or am I missing something????

Posted by WooHooWooHooHoo on July 29, 2006 at 12:51 AM (CDT)