ZAGGsparq units facing charging issues, new version in March | iLounge News

ZAGGsparq units facing charging issues, new version in March

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, February 12, 2010
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

According to a number of reader comments and a subsequent comment from a Zagg customer service representative, some of the company’s ZAGGsparq Portable Battery Backup & Chargers have been facing charging malfunctions, failing to provide a charge out of either USB port. The charging device offers a 6,000 mAh lithium polymer internal battery, LED lighting to indicate the current power level, two USB ports to charge multiple devices at once, and integrated standard outlet prongs. Zagg’s site shows that the product is currently not available for sale, and the customer service representative indicated that a new version of the product, ZAGGsparq 2.0, will be available in late March. If you have experienced problems with your ZAGGsparq, the company is offering a free replacement upgrade to the new model, and can be contacted at 1-800-700-ZAGG, or by visiting zagg.com/contact.

« Joby updates Gorillacam

First iPhone OS 3.2 app appears on App Store »

Comments

I have one which works as advertised, but I’ll probably get the update just in case.

It’s actually a great thing. I can recharge my phone, iPod touch and Bluetooth headphones any time they need it…. which is fairly often.

Posted by jeffharris on February 12, 2010 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

I received a DOA unit a month or so ago, and they were very good about doing a quick swap. My new one is working, but like Jeff I’ll trade it for a new model if they allow me.

I use my iPhone heavily and have to charge it at least twice a day. The zaggsparq is a great thing to have in my bag.

—Mike

Posted by Mike on February 12, 2010 at 6:17 PM (PDT)

Wow will they really replace it or will they charge you a shopping fee of $25 and then a $25 handling fee.  ZAGG’s warranty on their products is a scam and they need to know people are not happy about it.

Posted by Darin on February 13, 2010 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Short the USB connector’s 1pin of ZAGGsparq with something electrical conductive thing such as hair pin sometimes solve the charging problem of ZAGGSparq for a while.

Posted by bq on February 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM (PDT)

I was told my replacement would be sent in mid-April and now being told it would be the 2nd week of May. This is a moving target and their Zealous About Great Gadgets is a sham. I have no confidence in their product design or manufacturing quality. Be cautious of this company

Posted by Ed Jenest on April 27, 2010 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

Same response from Zagg’s customer service. They cant seem to keep their promises on when to deliver the replacements.

Posted by Jeremy Chen on April 27, 2010 at 7:36 PM (PDT)

I have not experienced a charging problem with mine, but due to a broken fold-out A/C plug, I sent mine in for replacement.  I have received the tracking number today.  Hopefully the new model is a little more sturdy.

On the flip side, I was impressed with how persistent they were in trying to locate me.  I was out of the country and they exhausted every method to get in touch with me.

Posted by Jon on June 11, 2010 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

I have the 2.0 version and it sucks as well, the fold out plug assembly design is critically flawed and i repaired mine myself by adding a screw and nut to hold the assembly together.

Posted by Mike on August 10, 2011 at 12:37 AM (PDT)