ZDNet: Should a Windows user buy an iPod? | iLounge News

ZDNet: Should a Windows user buy an iPod?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, September 25, 2003
News Categories: iPod

“The other question I’m asked is whether Windows users should buy an iPod. Unlike Mac, where the iPod really is the only device worth having, Windows users have a variety of choices. [...]

That may not be as simple as comparing disk capacities. For example, iPods automatically sync in the background. What’s that worth? What about a user interface with no moving parts? Small size? The docking station with a line-out jack? And styling that makes you the envy of your friends—what’s all that worth?”

« CompactFlash reader for iPod?

New iTrip due early October »

Comments

I agree with the author that an iPod is a worthy MP3-player for a Windows user, but only once the unit is properly installed. I found that there was more than a 10-15% disparity between the initial user setup and configuration for Windows users vs. the integration simplicity encountered by Mac users. Had it not been for this site, I might never have gotten the iPod to work correctly, following literally weeks of unsuccessful installation/incompatiblity problems. I’m grateful to the members of this site for their knowlege and support. But sheer determination prevented me from sending the unit back following weeks of utter frustration (I guess that’s why some folks buy Macs in the first place!) I lenjoy my iPod and like using it. But, for me, I don’t think it should be as difficult to install/configure.

Roger
3rd Gen. 30 GB | Thinkpad T40 | Windows XP | over 700 CDs

Posted by Roger Williams in San Jose, CA on September 26, 2003 at 3:41 AM (PDT)

The initial setup time will probably be improved greatly, though, once iTunes for Windows is released.

Posted by Aaron Drake on September 26, 2003 at 6:19 AM (PDT)

The best way a Windows user can improve their iPod experience is to dump the execrable MusicMatch for Media Center.

Makes iTunes look like a slow toy by comparison.

Posted by MediaCenter on September 26, 2003 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

i have windows. i have an ipod. i loaded the newest updater from apple, connected my ipod. it reconfigured it for windows. i installed ephpod and i’ve been rolling ever since. nothing too hard about that. and i don’t have to use that horrid software that creative labs packages with their players.

Posted by erik on September 26, 2003 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

Right erik, but most people don’t want to (or don’t know to) go through all those steps or all that trouble.  It should work right out of the box with the existing software.

Now that most of the bugs have been ironed out of the firmware and now that I’m running Media Center, I’m very happy with my iPod.  When I was trying to use Musicmatch with the old firmware, it was a nightmare.

Posted by Albert on September 26, 2003 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

i dunno. i didn’t see it as that much of a hassle. but that’s me i guess. i guess i can see where you’re coming from tho. i did some research before my purchase which helped. i knew about ephpod and ipodlounge before i purchased, which got me ready in advance. the only thing i’ve used easier to setup was the archos jukebox, because it’s just an external hard drive. no software needed, just plug in and drag n drop.

Posted by erik on September 26, 2003 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

Caveat emptor.  I almost always research products before I buy them, as such I installed XPlay within minutes of installing my iPod.  Uninstalled Musicmatch real fast after playing with XPlay (I don’t think I ever transferred any songs with Musicmatch, heh).

It is silly that you need to get new software to use, but historically the software that comes with MP3 players has always sucked (at least that has been my experience).  Anyone remember RioPort Audio Mananger?  I’m trying to forget.

Posted by colinp on September 26, 2003 at 4:34 PM (PDT)

Ok everybody,
A novice needs some clarification, please!  I am interested in an ipod.  I am a windows pc user.  Is the major complaint about the ipod/pc compatibility one dealing with the software which supports the transfer of mp3 to ipod?(supplied by apple?)
Next, do other platforms work for this functionality? (ie., say, realplayer, or windows media player?) Sorry if these questions are kind of basic.  Thanks.

Posted by minuteman on September 26, 2003 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

I’ve got music downloaded from an Apple. Now I want to download from a PC. Is this possible?

Also can I download all the Apple tracks on my Ipod onto my PC?

Posted by Bob on September 27, 2003 at 1:45 AM (PDT)

I should add that my ipod has been set up as an Apple ipod….

Posted by Bob on September 27, 2003 at 2:05 AM (PDT)

I agree the ipod is very stylish but I don’t see it being a good thing… My brand new iPod only after 2 days of light use started showing scratches all over the place.  I went out and purchased an iSkin case that just covers up the iPod anyway as I would guess most do or else there pods would look like scape metel in a few weeks.

Posted by MusclePup on September 27, 2003 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

“Should Windows users buy an Ipod?”

Next topic.

Posted by Z on September 28, 2003 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

I read someone say that, at least with Windows, you can’t transfer files from the iPod to your PC, only the other way around? Is this true?

Posted by Bjorn on September 28, 2003 at 8:54 PM (PDT)

XPlay allow you to drag and drop from the iPod onto the PC

Posted by cmm on September 30, 2003 at 3:11 AM (PDT)

Minuteman:  RealPlayer and WMP cannot transfer files to the iPod.  However, there are plenty of programs that can.  MusicMatch Jukebox, supplied with the iPod, and shareware like Ephpod, Xplay, and MediaCenter all can.  Software compatibility is not a problem.

Bob:  My naiscent understanding is that you can’t switch your iPod from Apple to PC or vice versa.  When you first set up your iPod, you chose the OS you want it to work with, and the iPod hdd is formatted for that OS - FAT32 for Windows, HFS+ for Mac.  Mac can’t read or write to FAT32 (or can the new BSD-based OSX read it?), and Windows can’t read or write to HFS+.  So Windows won’t recognize an Apple iPod, and Macs won’t recognize a Windows iPod.  Having owned my iPod for just a week, I could be wrong about that…

“Should Windows users buy an Ipod?”

Ditto.

Posted by Byron on October 2, 2003 at 2:19 PM (PDT)

I tried to upgrade my software and got a glitch/shutdown before it completed. Now my PC does not swee the ipod and i am not able to reinstall. What am I missing? HELP!!!

Posted by Alan on July 25, 2005 at 10:48 AM (PDT)