Zip your iPod, new case announced | iLounge News

Zip your iPod, new case announced

pic Lajo Cymbalski, the designer of iSkin and Maclear products has announced the Zip case for iPod. Zip fits new iPod 10/15/30GB models.

“Zip by Maclear will change the way you view and use your new iPod. It is made from the top quality ultra clear PTU material, Zip protects the entire iPod body including the screen and touchwheel. Although covered the touchwheel is fully functional. Zip comes with a removable chrome belt clip stub, so now it’s zip it, protect it, use it, wear it and show it off. When the belt clip stub is removed Zip offers excellent protection when iPod is being slid into and pulled out of leather and plastic cases. You won’t want to handle your precious new iPod without it. It only costs $12.50 with the belt clip. Zip up, it’s a rough world out there.”

Cymbalski also mentioned to look out for new features on the iSkin iPod case and more new case designs in the near future. Zip is available now for pre-order at ThinkDifferentStore.com at a special introductory price of $10.

Press release from the ThinkDifferentStore:

New 3G iPod case at The Think Different Store!

For Immediate Release

Long Island, New York—June 5, 2003—The Think Different Store (http://www.thinkdifferentstore.com) today announced an exciting new product it will be carrying: the Maclear Zip - finally a case that protects your entire iPod, while still giving you full access to the controls!

The Maclear Zip will change the way you view and use your new iPod. It is a clear, zippered case that fits around your iPod. Made from top quality ultra clear PTU material, the Maclear Zip protects the entire iPod body, including the screen and touch wheel. Although covered, the touch wheel is fully functional.

The Maclear Zip comes with a removable chrome belt clip stub, so now it’s zip it, protect it, use it, wear it, and show it off. When the belt clip stub is removed, it offers excellent protection when your iPod is being slid into and pulled out of other leather and plastic cases. You won’t want to handle your precious new iPod without it. It only costs $12.50 with the belt clip. Pre - order now and pay
only $10!

Zip up, it’s a rough world out there. The Maclear Zip is available at the ThinkDifferentStore.

The Maclear Zip is for the new 10GB/15GB/30GB model iPods.

The Think Different Store is a retailer of Macintosh peripherals and accessories. For additional information visit (http://www.thinkdifferentstore.com)

« New MARWARE SportSuit Convertible available for pre-order

TheMacMind Interviews iLounge Publisher »

Comments

I will be going to Hong Kong in 2 days to see the stores that want to order. They will have them in a day from that date meaning you can expect them there this week.

Posted by Lajo on July 21, 2003 at 4:18 PM (CDT)

I like to know if the maclear cases would be available in Singapore as well?

Posted by Jon on July 22, 2003 at 5:31 AM (CDT)

Yes it will, soon you will be able to to to my site place your order. That order will go to the distributor in that country. There is a distributor in Singapore

Posted by Lajo on July 22, 2003 at 5:52 AM (CDT)

I am waiting for mine, i boght it at the thinkdifferentstore.com for the 3G 30gig iPod zip case, even though they charged my credit card When are they supposed to be recieving product?

Posted by Re on July 24, 2003 at 11:08 PM (CDT)

Re, they will send you an email when it ships. Mine shipped Tuesday.

Posted by Nic Olinsky on July 25, 2003 at 8:33 AM (CDT)

Hang in there it will be in your hands soon. We have been flooded with orders - can not produce them fast enough. TPU take 4 times a long to make as a PVC case so it is has been a learning experience for all. Dealers are compensating customers that had to wait too long with a gift TPU case.

Posted by Lajo on July 25, 2003 at 8:39 AM (CDT)

A few days ago I got my Maclear Zip for my 30GB iPod. Thinkdifferentstore.com included a 2nd one free due to the delay.

However BOTH are going back:
One of them has belt clip. The clip is on the WRONG SIDE of the case, meaning when I line the holes for the headphones and lock switch up the metal of the clip’s rivit would be right on the face of the iPod screen! Would scratch it to pieces.

The 2nd one did not come with the clip but is also backwards. There is a textured “ZIP” logo on the surface that is right on top of the scroll wheel, interrupting the smooth feel and touch.

Kinda sad two for two mis-manufactured.

Hopefully the replacements will be right because it looks like the Zip will do its job nicely.

qb

Posted by qb on July 29, 2003 at 9:14 AM (CDT)

We were informed of the problem and we made a mistake. The hole is on the wrong side for the 30gb and I am checking into it now. Thank you very much for informing us and I welcome you to have an exo iSkin case on the house. If you go to our site www.iskinusa.com and check the color you like we will send it to you.

ThinkDifferent may have to wait for us to send them the right cases, I am not sure if all the cases are the same. They are at no fault it all rests with us.

Lajo

Posted by Lajo Cymbalski on July 29, 2003 at 10:11 AM (CDT)

Hello. I’ve checked all most of the stores in Hong Kong, they only have the exo iskin. None of them got the Maclear Zip. Is this because of the hole mistake? I want a Zip for G2 10 gb Ipod. Where can I get it? Thank you very much.

Posted by Edison on July 29, 2003 at 10:35 AM (CDT)

10gb has no problems with the hole nore will the 30gb

Posted by Lajo Cymbalski on July 29, 2003 at 4:57 PM (CDT)

The problem with the hole is the potential for a hole shape scratch on the back plate. It would be nice to have an option for no clip for those who won’t be attaching their iPod to their belt.

Posted by Nic Olinsky on July 29, 2003 at 5:32 PM (CDT)

You are right and I will look at having cases without a hole for that very purpose. ThinkDifferentStore has a number of cases now without holes as a result of an error we made and they are sell them as

Posted by Lajo Cymbalski on July 29, 2003 at 5:55 PM (CDT)

A new zipper is a good idea. Right now you have to be careful when you zip or the zipper will “jump the tracks” and the teeth won’t close properly.

Posted by Nic Olinsky on July 29, 2003 at 6:22 PM (CDT)

When that happens you just have to unzip and zip again. To give you a little history on the zipper - TPU is extremely strong and it was breaking the manufacturer’s needles. They would break as many as 5 needles to produce 12 inches of zipper. They are use to making zippers for PVC which lays back and takes what is thrown its way (PVC is the zipper used for cell phone cases). I now have the top zipper manufacturer agreeing to make zippers for us and that will mean a major upgrade. They have made a sample and it looks and works great. They are delivering zippers this week

Posted by Lajo Cymbalski on July 29, 2003 at 6:37 PM (CDT)

I order a Zip for my 30g ipod, When will the problem with them be solved? When do you expect to handle them to the thinkdifferentsstore?

Posted by Re on July 29, 2003 at 9:28 PM (CDT)

My assistant told me she checked again and it is not a problem will all the 30gbs. The holes are the last thing they do when manufacturing zip. They have a gig and place the case on it and then they die cut the holes. This is a hand opperation so it seems someone turn the case around by mistake when die cutting the holes. We will be having a talk with production today and the people packaging are double checking to make sure no bad cases are pack.

ThinkDifferentStore will be getting more zip case this weekend (shipped this weekend from China).

I will tell them to open the box and make sure the case is correct.

Posted by Lajo Cymbalski on July 29, 2003 at 10:46 PM (CDT)

I have a 30gb Zip produced the right way so Lajo is right on just some holes being punched incorrectly. I can’t wait to get my hands on the iSkin now though!

Posted by ipod-upod on July 30, 2003 at 7:45 AM (CDT)

Some colors are available now. The screen protector may be solved tomorrow. A lot of people have been speculating on why and when and it is rather interesting because no one really knows the hold up except us here in China. It is not a design problem or a mold problem that has been done some time ago, it is a mater of making a final decision on the material. I already have 2 tested that are acceptable but I am not a take what you can get type of a guy. If I know that there is something better out there I want it.  I will not settle for a PVC vinyl like what is used on most products out there today. I have an opportunity because I am here in the designers paradise,China, I can test many materials and as a result give you the best and that is what I intend to deliver.

I would like to clear something up about zip. Some people have confused the zip case with vinyl but the only similarity there is that they are both clear. Vinyl is used in the industry to make mobile phone cases because it has the cheapest cost and is the easiest to produce.  Manufacturers do want to use TPU because it is costly, hard to work with (it will not die like vinyl does) you have to custom make zippers for it and it lasts too long so they cannot enjoy the replacement business. If you have 2 cases in your hands you will know immediately. When I found out about this materials properties I knew I wanted to make cases from it. I use zip on my iPod all the time because I like the feel, the total protection it offers and how it allow my iPod to be iPod.

If you like eXo you will love my new design for 10/15gb and 30gb to be released in the fall along with a new design for the 2nd gen 10 and 20gb. There are about 8 new products in the works for iPod, iMac, iBook, G4. and as you may know of my artist background colors will be a flowing. Stay tuned

Posted by Lajo Cymbalski on July 30, 2003 at 8:23 AM (CDT)

thinkdifferentstore.com orginally only sent one Zip. When I contacted them they said they could send me one without the clip, but with the hole. I would really like to get a hold of the “holeless” model. How can I get one?

Posted by Nic Olinsky on July 30, 2003 at 6:13 PM (CDT)

What size to you need?
give me an email at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) I can make one for you if there are no available from TDS

Posted by Lajo Cymbalski on July 30, 2003 at 7:17 PM (CDT)

Page 6 of 7 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 >