Zune launch has little effect on iPod dominance | iLounge News

Zune launch has little effect on iPod dominance

Despite a great deal of press coverage and a much-publicized launch last week, the Microsoft Zune has had no initial impact on iPod sales, according to analysts. “Initial findings suggest that the introduction of the Zune has had little effect on the iPod’s dominance of the U.S. MP3 player market,” said Steve Lidberg, an analyst at Pacific Crest. “On Amazon.com, Apple iPod held three of the top-four-selling electronics devices, while the black Zune ranked 18th. On CircuitCity. com, Apple controls nine of the top 14 MP3 player spots, with the black Zune ranking 15th. While Zune may take some incremental share from second tier players such as SanDisk and Creative Labs, we believe Apple will maintain its approximately 75% share of the U.S. market.”

« Apple airs new iPod shuffle commercial

JukeDock iPod dock announced »

Comments

Several local stores had Zune/Xbox bundles for sale this past weekend. I wasn’t sure what they were trying to unload… the Zunes or the Xboxes.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on November 20, 2006 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

wow…what a shocker.  i don’t see how it can take any share of any market, let alone a bite out of apple.

Posted by franticnomad on November 20, 2006 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

What a shame.
The worse thing about the perceived failure of the Zune is that not only will there be Zune Orphans when Microsoft discontinue it, but the “Plays for Sure” Players will also be Orphaned.
Great Market Strategy: The enemy has 75% Market share, the remaining 25% is controlled by manufacturers and marketers sympathetic to Microsoft. Let’s crap in their face and fracture the alternative market further.

Posted by Dan Woods on November 20, 2006 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

What could it possibly do in less than a week.  How did the iPod do the 1st week it was out?  Stop writing articles just to write them and waste our time with this nonsense.  I own a 5G iPod Video and I’m pleased with it.  I also installed the Zune software last week and was impressed.  Perhaps others will do the same.

Posted by Ian on November 20, 2006 at 1:45 PM (PDT)

Yes, I agree. I had about $400 worth of music from Napster, and I for one am glad its worthless with the Zune. We all knew “playsforsure” was just another cool trend in need of replacement. My Napster compatable players were old, I need to dump all that old fashioned tripe and move forward. I hope MS continues this trend of abandonment and overhyped rebranded third party hardware coupled with buggy hurry-to-release-before-the-holidays software. We really need a company like MS scrambling to screw all of their investors with money losing business strategy while giving us the best deal on soon-to-be-completely-obsolete hardware.

Posted by Michael on November 20, 2006 at 2:07 PM (PDT)

What Zune launch? :o

Posted by Jack Bauer on November 20, 2006 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

Exactly, M$ never planned to overtake the iPod in a day.  Think about a few years down the road.

Posted by happyman on November 20, 2006 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

Forget Amazon, whos selling more on Dell.com?  They’re pushing the Zune bigtime.

Posted by Janis X on November 20, 2006 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

“buuut aren’t we claiming victory a bit too soon?”

The childishness of all this is beyond belief.

We are talking about two cheap consumer products here. The way you people talk, anyone would think that Apple was defending the United States against an invasion by Mexico.

iLounge’s behaviour over all of this has been particularly egregious. Any claim they may have had to objectivity has clearly been thrown right out of the window.

Posted by Joshua on November 21, 2006 at 2:07 AM (PDT)

If you can sort your way through all the blinking iPod ads and read the article without going into epileptic seizure you will see the pure objectivity the author has towords Zune.

Posted by Beckhan on November 21, 2006 at 7:27 AM (PDT)

What did people expect. Microsoft couldn’t effect Apple even if they really wanted to. At first, I thought they were trying to cover their own mistake with the Zune by saying how they didn’t really plan on taking over the market or taking profits from Apple. I admit, I thought they were just covering their own failure, but when I look at the Zune I realize there is no way that it could have or even still could have any effect on the iPod. Surely Microsoft knew this when they released that mess. It’s going to take a lot more to make me choose another player over the iPod. A lot more.

Posted by ddsd on November 21, 2006 at 11:18 AM (PDT)

You know—when a company so far behind releases a new product, they usually learn from the blunders of other companies in that same market, and also from customer feedback. Microsoft has never and will never do this, hence why the Zune has had such a bumpy and critistic-filled take-off.

What makes me laugh though is that Apples shares, since the release of the Zune, have sky-rocketed raspberry

Posted by bobbit on November 21, 2006 at 8:11 PM (PDT)

First-week Xbox sales didn’t have much of an effect on the PS2, did they?

Apples and oranges, yes, but Microsoft has never been one for instance dominance - nor would anyone reasonably expect Microsoft to quickly gain market share.

The key is that Microsoft has more money than they know what to do with. Hell, they spent a bunch of money over 18 months to make the 4-second Windows Vista sound. So they’re more than happy to sit around for a few years, release a few Zunes, build up name-brand and market share till they start making a product.

And good for them. Personally, my iPod has sucked (5 hour battery life FTL, among other things) and I look forward to getting my Zune.

All this talk of music not working on it - well, that’s why you don’t buy music in closed market! I sure as hell never spent much on iTunes or any other store.

Posted by Aerothorn on November 24, 2006 at 9:08 AM (PDT)

I never understood people hatin’ on Microsoft in the past. But, between the DRM/CC-licensing problems inherent to Zune and Microsoft’s recent meddlings in the Linux universe, it’s become quite clear to me why MS gets people so pissed-off. This all helped me make up my mind that my next computer would be a Mac. And so it was…..

Posted by Laer on November 25, 2006 at 10:48 PM (PDT)

ha!

take that Microsoft…Prune player.

?

(for now)

Posted by abdul on November 26, 2006 at 9:37 PM (PDT)

Yeah, like someone just said, it’s not like Apple are fighting some global war where everyone will be anxiously waiting for the end result. I think fanboy-ism in every aspect is pathetic, you see it with 13 year old hormonal boys and their Xboxes and PS2’s but come on people, a lot of you must be in their early 20s at the very least? Start acting your age and show some class. Defending consumer products on the net is NOT cool. Period.

Posted by Shadow on November 28, 2006 at 3:15 PM (PDT)