Zune coverage: Today Show’s old iPods, CNN’s new shuffle | iLounge News

Zune coverage: Today Show’s old iPods, CNN’s new shuffle

image

Microsoft’s marketing machine has gotten its new Zune media player in front of many eyes this week—from newspaper, web and magazine articles to TV commercials, special events, and coverage on news shows. Two somewhat contrasting Zune segments appeared this week on NBC’s “Today Show” and CNN’s “American Morning.”

The “Today Show” segment, featuring a pre-recorded report by NBC’s Peter Alexander, was impartial in facts, but twice showed the Zune sitting beside an older, fourth-generation iPod with monochrome screen instead of the latest video-capable fifth-generation iPod. Later in the segment, stock footage of an older iPod mini is also used. After Alexander’s report, Matt Lauer, Meredith Vieira, and Al Roker discuss the Zune, with Lauer saying, “We’re iPod guys.” Roker says the Zune’s wireless features are “Not enough for me” and that the Zune online store is “a little more unwieldy than the iTunes Store.” Lauer ends the segment with a statement about the relationship between NBC and Microsoft. “We should mention that Microsoft and NBC are joint partners in the MSNBC.com website.”

On CNN’s “American Morning,” hosts Soledad O’Brien and Miles O’Brien (no relation) talk with Andrew Ross Sorkin of The New York Times. Sorkin gives an overview of the Zune’s features while holding a Zune and showing it on camera. After the wireless features are downplayed and music compatibility problems are disclosed, the segment takes a turn when Soledad O’Brien pulls out her new second-generation iPod shuffle. “Now that’s the thing that’s a lot sexier than [the Zune],” Sorkin says. “Microsoft in the end will come out with something—I don’t know if it will be that pretty— but something.” Miles O’Brien asks, “Why don’t they get some decent design people to make things look better? It’s clunky.” Sorkin concludes with “No Comment.”

Watch both segments below.

« Surprise add-ons coming from iHome, Oakley, XtremeMac, Body Glove, Sonic Impact

NBC News video podcasts coming to iTunes »

Comments

How come whenever someone expresses a desire to own equipment that works, or advises someone not to buy a piece of crap, they’re called “Apple fanboy?”

Posted by Rip Ragged on November 15, 2006 at 9:30 PM (CST)

Since when was a Dell DJ “about the same size” as an iPod? My friend’s DJ is clearly thicker than my other friend’s 60 GB Photo.

And my iPod(s) have taken nasty falls before, and both still work perfectly (although my photo does have a dent on the back due to the crappy case I had). Not to mention that the scrollwheel thingy on the DJ is a bit awkward to use.

Posted by Nobody on November 15, 2006 at 10:26 PM (CST)

How is the iPod not rugged? I’ve had my origional 5 gigabyte iPod with the scrollwhell that physically moves for a little over 5 years.
In that course of time, it’s sustained me accidentaly stepping on it while running with it, being thrown across the room by my brother, falling 3 stories onto pavement (The case just popped open - I just had to clip it back on itself), and being covered in snow. And I’ve just recently bought an 80 Gig ipod video and It’s already been dropped twice and, again, stepped on by my little sister. I doubt the DJ could live up to those tests.

Posted by Cameron on November 16, 2006 at 1:52 AM (CST)

jajajajajajjajajajajajajajajajajajaajajajajajajajaja
sorry is in spanish, but zune ITS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH VISTA jajajajajjajajajajajaja

Posted by gonzalo on November 16, 2006 at 4:20 AM (CST)

more from another spanish news paper

Posted by gonzalo on November 16, 2006 at 5:45 AM (CST)

It’d be humiliating for Zune, design wise, if they had put it side by side with the new nano and new 5G. Even so, I don’t think it’s fair to compare the 5.5G iPod with the Zune. iPod is still in the stage of an enhanced music player, while Zune obviously leans towards a portable media center. Apple has never officially claimed the 5G as a “video player”. The true video iPod has yet to come. Wait until then and compare it with Zune.
Music playing: come on, admit it. The iPod navigation is much much more easier to use and more functional too.
Video playing: as I said, video playback is just a bonus feature of the iPod. But personally, while on the road, 2.5’ and 3’ screens aren’t that much different. I just need something to watch.

Posted by DarkConqueror on November 16, 2006 at 10:56 AM (CST)

zune sucks

Posted by Justin on November 18, 2006 at 2:20 PM (CST)

I am fairly upset with NBC for trying that underhanded attack at the iPod for comparing a original 4th gen iPod (which came out well over 2 YEARS ago in July 2004) to their new player. What, they couldn’t find ANYONE that had a 5th gen video iPod to show off? It is actually hard to find people with those type of 4th gen ones now.

“The Today Show”, you make me sick.

Posted by JS on November 18, 2006 at 3:08 PM (CST)

Yesterday me and my dad went to a CompUSA. I saw the Zune and wasn’t really impressed. The first thing my dad said when he saw the Zune was that it was bulky. As for Today, I am really stunned to see them use the iPod mini and the 4G iPod in comparison to the Zune. They should have pitted one against the other to be fair.

Posted by hoshieBIOTpod on November 20, 2006 at 1:45 AM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2