News - Old Archive
Friday, February 14, 2003
iPod: How to Adjust the Sound Volume
Apple has updated an AppleCare Knowledge Base Document to help you adjust the sound volume on iPod.
Thursday, February 13, 2003
Windows: iPodSync 2.2 Released
“iPodSync is a tool for Windows users to keep your Microsoft Outlook calendar and contact information synchronized between your PC and you’re iPod.”
- What’s new in v2.2:
- Tasks! iPodSync now supports syncing Outlook tasks.
- Added standard iCal VTIMEZONE header to the exported calendar file to support automatic adjustment of daylight savings time.
- Outlook tree view in advanced options support Outlook XP and Outlook 2000
- Added filtering of characters that are not supported by the iPod.
- Removed any unnecessary tags from the exported files to minimize the size of the exported data.
- Cleaned up the presentation of labels of the iPod when viewing appointments and contacts.
Canadians Could Pay More for iPods
According to an article by Jane Black for BusinessWeek online, Canadians may soon have to pay higher prices for every CD-R and hard drive used in MP3 players like the iPod. The Canadian Copyright Board has plans to increase the levy on CD-R media from 21 cents to 59 cents and increase the levy on hard drives as well.
“There’s more. The price of Apple’s (NasdaqNM: AAPL -News ) popular iPod MP3 player would increase by 33%, from $300 to $400, if the levy is imposed. A 60-gigabyte car stereo from MP3 maker Rio would face a $1,260 tax. Twenty five countries, including most of the European Union, have introduced similar plans. The U.S. already imposes levies on digital media, including digital audio tapes and recordable CDs designed especially for audio.”
Refurbished iPod 5GB for $199 at Apple Store
Apple has once again posted “Special Deals” on refurbished iPod 5GB at its online Apple store. The price is $199 and includes a one year limited warranty.
Look for “Special Deals” at bottom left.
For more info…
iPod 20GB for PC for $409 shipped
“Today only, Dell Home’s Software and Peripherals store offers Apple’s iPod 20GB for PC for $449.10 with free shipping. Apply coupon code “90B124D9063A” and the price falls to $409.10. That’s $5 of our last mention and the lowest total price we’ve seen.”
Wednesday, February 12, 2003
Mac: PodWriter 2.0 Released
“PodWriter is a (now Cocoa & Objective-C, was Java) application to display notes on your iPod.”
What’s new in 2.0:
Fixed a problem with cutting off some text. Made it version 2.0 because I got tired of betas.
iPod: Learning More, Support, and Service
Apple has created an AppleCare Knowledge Base Document to help you find information and help with the iPod. Of course you can also find help here at iLounge in our forums and FAQs.
Tuesday, February 11, 2003
Mac: Robs iPod Exporter 1.0 Released
“I did not support sorting by Artist, Album, etc. because reading all the MP3 ID3 tags takes a long time. If you tried other applications that do this method of indexing you know what I mean. I find 90% of the time I just need to grab a file or two and want to get in and get out. So I would rather not wait for a long start-up delay due to reading every ID3 tag on every MP3. And saving a file of the last load doesn’t work for me as the contents of my pod change frequently. I wrote this software for my needs, yours may be different. “
Monday, February 10, 2003
Mac: PodMaster 1000 1.0d Released
“PodMaster 1000 is a small utility that was written for my convenience. Makes the moving of files from the iPod to a second computer easier by listing all the songs on the iPod and allowing the transfer of selected songs to a folder of choice.”
- What’s new in v1.0d:
- PodMaster can now handle up to 10,000 files and responds faster to those iPods with over 1500 files.
- A few cosmetic tweaks also while I was under the hood.
Mac: iPod Viewer 2.0.1 Released
“iTunes allows you to copy MP3s from your computer to your iPod, and do everything but copy those MP3s back to your computer. But now with iPod Viewer, you can do just that! Just launch the application, import the songs from your iPod, select the songs you want to copy, choose where you want to copy the songs to, and transfer the files. That’s it!”
- What’s new in v2.0.1:
- Arrange transferred songs via any combination of artist, album, and genre.
- Burn MP3 CDs that will work on any platform.
- Keeps a catalog of your imported songs so that the importing process goes faster.
- The application has been localized to multiple languages. Visit the product page to learn how you can get iPod Viewer localized in your language.
Next: News 02.16.03-02.22.03
Previous: News 02.03.03-02.07.03