News - Old Archive
Saturday, February 22, 2003
PodPod Easel for iPod Announced
A desktop stand for iPod has been introduced by Chally Micro Solutions. Made of clear poly carbonate plastic, the PodPod Easel for iPod costs $12.95 plus $5.50 shipping and handling in the continental U.S.
“Why pay more than three times as much for the simplicity and elegance to compliment your iPod? The PodPod protects your iPod’s surface with small rubber bumpers you apply wherever you like, and holds it at a comfortable and convenient angle. It works great with most covers such as the JamJacket. At this price, why not get one for work and another for home, and still save?”
Friday, February 21, 2003
Windows: iPodSync 2.3 Released
“iPodSync is a tool for Windows users to keep your Microsoft Outlook calendar and contact information synchronized between your PC and you’re iPod.”
- What’s new in v2.3:
- Ability to filter what items are synced using categories.
- Option to include all tasks or only tasks that have not been completed.
- Support for Other phone number as an additional mobile phone number on the iPod.
- Support for IM Address as an additional mobile phone number on the iPod. (Outlook XP Only)
License: Shareware $8.99 (after March 1st $12.99)
System Requirements: Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Outlook 2000, Outlook XP and XPlay if you have a Mac formatted iPod
For more info…
Thursday, February 20, 2003
PodCharge for iPod
iLounger Tom W. emailed us to inform our readers of his self-made external battery pack for iPod. Named the PodCharge, it holds 8 AA batteries and charges your iPod via the FireWire port when an electrical outlet is not available. Tom has posted several photos and will make one for anyway willing to pay him $30 plus shipping.
Refurbished iPod 10GB for $329 at Apple Store
Apple has posted “Special Deals” on refurbished iPod 10GB for Mac and Windows at its online Apple store. The price is $329 and includes a one year limited warranty.
Click on “Special Deals” at bottom left.
For more info…
Wednesday, February 19, 2003
iPod Knowledge Base Documents Updated
Tuesday, February 18, 2003
Mac: PodWriter 2.0.2 Released
“PodWriter is an application to display notes on your iPod.”
What’s new in v2.0.2:
Added Italian localization thanks to Lorenzo dell’Uva.
System Requirements: Mac OS X 10.0 or higher
“iBook G3/700 14.1in, 20GB iPod for $1,580”
“Small Dog Electronics offers the factory-refurbished iBook G3/700 256/30.0/DVD-CDRW/56/100BT 14.1-inch TFT notebook bundled with an iPod 20GB for Mac and an Imation 48x CD-R 10-pack for $1,580 . That’s $85 less than the best price we could find if purchased separately. Offer ends February 20, 2003”
Monday, February 17, 2003
Forums: “iOde to my iPod”
New iLounger “tommyo” has expressed the love for his iPod in a poem.
“You’re with me when I drive
And when I’m lying in bed
You take away my pain
As I rest my weary head
You play a thousand songs
And keep me so awake
Relaxing me through all the stress
So difficult to take
You’re quiet when I need it
Singing sweetly of tender love
As I’m walking, driving, resting, sleeping
A gift from up above
I know you cannot hear me
Since you always play the sounds
But I want to let you know
My love for you abounds”
Mac: iPod It 1.8.1 Released
“With iPod It you can take all your important information with you. Your Entourage contacts, events, tasks, e-mail, and notes can be exported to your iPod and are available whenever you need them.”
- What’s new in v1.8.1:
- There are a number of bug fixes, including problems with weather downloads and better iCal compatibility.
- News now includes the source for each news item.
- Contacts now have a .vcf extension so they can be easily imported into the Address Book or Entourage (note that if you have all of your contacts in a single file Entourage will only recognize the first entry while Address Book correctly imports all of them).
License: Shareware $14.95
System Requirements: Mac OS X 10.1 or higher, iPod Software 1.1 or higher and Microsoft Entourage X
Mac: iPod Access 1.0b31 Released
“This app can be used to transfer songs from your iPod to your computer organized by artist/album, play songs directly from your iPod and save the last song listing gathered to make application startup quicker.”
- What’s new in v1.0b31:
- Saved lists now auto-sync with attached iPod to avoid having to do a new listing when songs are added or removed from your iPod
- Seperate lists are saved for every iPod attached
- Fixed bugs in registration, song listing and song copying
- Added a song size column
- Added an eject button
- Added compatibilty back to 10.1 (Puma)
No iTrip in UK
According to a report at Macworld Magazine UK, Griffin Technology’s iTrip will not be shipping because of a violation with radio-communications regulations. The iTrip uses FM band frequencies to wirelessly broadcast music from iPod to an FM stereo receiver.
“‘As the FM broadcast band is allocated for the exclusive use of licensed broadcasters no other systems are permitted to operate within the band,” the agency explained.’”
Forums: iDuct Taped My iPod
You may have heard the latest news about using duct tape and plastic sheeting to protect against biological or chemical weapons. iLounge forum moderator “MadPict” has taken neccesary precautions to protect his iPod from a possible attack. “MadPict” has posted a photo depicting his new iPod case creation dubbed iDuct: iProtect & Survive.
Mac: iPod.iTunes 2.0b2 (formerly iPod2iTunes) Released
“iPod.iTunes is the only utility which provides real synchronization of tracks and playlists from your iPod(s) to your Mac(s). iPod.iTunes saves your time because it automatically only copies those tracks which are missing in the iTunes library, excluding duplicates. It provides also an option to build a list of tracks which are not in iTunes and to copy only desired tracks from that list.”
- What’s new in v2.0b2:
- Changing the setting for the location of the iTunes Music folder did
- sometimes nothing. The file selector is now “Aqua native” which solves the problem.
- Correct handling when the disk runs out of space during copying.
- An occassional error “Can’t make 4 into a boolean” during playlist
- synchronization should no longer happen.
- iPod.iTunes correctly shows “Registered” in the Registration tab.
- Tool Tips updated/corrected.
- Tested with Mac OS 10.2.4.
- Other fixes and improvements.
Sunday, February 16, 2003
Windows: XPlay 1.1 Beta 2 Released
“XPlay 1.1 is drawing near…the release of Beta 1 was well-received, so here’s Beta 2.
The new XPlay 1.1 has a variety of improvements over the currently-shipping XPlay 1.0.4. XPlay 1.1 is magnitudes faster at many tasks, allows you to drag your songs off your iPod for easy sharing amongst your computers, has an improved Explorer display, doesn’t erase manually-created playlists when automatically synchronizing or rebuilding the iPod’s music database, and a has a handful of other improvements, as well.
If you aren’t enthusiastic about using beta software releases, don’t worry: the final XPlay 1.1 will be available soon as a free update.”
Next: News 02.24.03-03.01.03
Previous: News 02.10.03-02.14.03