Saturday, April 13, 2002
Tune Belt for MP3 players
iLounger, A. Brody writes in to tell our readers about the Tune Belt ($17.95) for MP3 Players.
- Tune Belt features:
- Snug-fitting neoprene belt stabilizes player / radio
- Securely holds and protects player / radio
- Comfortable, lightweight an durable
- One size fits nearly all
- Fits most MP3 players, MiniDisc players and family radios up to 4.75”
Video from MacWorld Tokyo 2002
MacTV Network has a small video showing the iPod Dock, iPod Jambox and more from MacWorld Tokyo 2002.
Software: Eudora vCard Export 1.1.3 released
- What’s new
- Split multiple line addresses into “extended address” and “street address” (some applications - like the MacOS X Address Book - do not correctly display multiple line addresses)
- Corrected a problem which would omit the city in the vCard output
Friday, April 12, 2002
Software: EphPod v2.15beta released
- What’s new
- Better handling of text files as Contacts
- Better formatting for news downloads
- Option to Include Year of Song in Song Title
- Option to Boost Song Length by 5 seconds (for those MP3s that are trashed at the end)
- Allows Multi-Select with Contacts so you can delete several at a time.
- After Delete, remembers where you were.
- Refreshes to Recent Files instead of to Contacts.
- Errors with not writing full database out every time hopefully fixed again
- When copying files, now you can’t mess around with the database in the background.
“I have actually heard very little comment on the sync option and on the download option. I’m going to need more feedback if I’m going to improve/change those features, so keep it coming. Please use bugs.ephpod.com to ask for features or report bugs, so I have that running log.”
The First Time
iLounger, Alexander R. has made a QuickTime movie of his first “iPodding” experience. Check it out.
Thursday, April 11, 2002
BookEndz releases iPodWrap for iPod
MacNN reports that BookEndz, makers of docking stations for PowerBook laptops, has released an iPodWrap ($10) for the iPod.
- Complete wrap around iPod Protection
- High quality “cling” material
- Reusable non-adhesive, will not leave residue.
- Keeps your iPod looking new.
Software: iPod2iTunes beta 0.9.1 released
“Usually you cannot transfer songs or playlists from your iPod to your Mac. iPod2iTunes (i2i) is the only utility which allows you not only to copy but to synchronize tracks + playlists from your iPod(s) to your Mac(s). First, it shows you exactly which of the tracks on the iPod are not on your Mac. After synchronizing, you can browse through the new tracks directly in iTunes. You may then transfer some or all tracks to your Mac”
- Extreme nag alarm: The unregistered version did show the register hint after each synchronized playlist. Fixed
- When there were no new tracks on the iPod, i2i just quitted and gave not the option to synchronize playlists. Fixed.
Note: iPod Free File SynX has been discontinued. iPod2iTunes replaces IPFFS for OS X.
Score big at Breakout and win
Mike Zornek of Apple Student Developers website sent a reminder to check out their iPod Breakout Contest. The current top score for the hidden Breakout game is at 1240, by “iCon”. He won $30 for his efforts. Think you can beat that score? Entries are due no later than 11:59 P.M. EST April 30th.
Wednesday, April 10, 2002
BusinessWeek Reader Survey: Year of the iPod?
BusinessWeek online surveyed its readers in regards to the iPod. There are some interesting results. One survey indicates over 60% would buy a Mac in order to use the iPod.
“Year of the iPod? Mac fans certainly think so. Our Reader Survey found that most would have no problem paying over $400 for Apple’s snazzy music player”
Tuesday, April 9, 2002
Software: FilePod beta 1.0 released
“A tool for FileMaker developers which allows to export contacts from an existing database into the iPod’s contact list.
English beta release, Macintosh only.
Requires FileMaker Pro 5 or 5.5 and Apple iPod Software 1.1
Versions for MacOS 9.2 and MacOS X 10.1.3 included.
Please follow the instructions in ReadMeFirst.fp5
iQ: The Holy Quran for iPod
The Spiritual Society has released iQ, “the first book to ever be released on Apple’s Amazing iPod.”
In an email response from the Spiritual Society:
“It’s the entire unabridged Quran.
Hope you like it - it’s hopefully the first of many more fully indexed and browsable books on the iPod”
Monday, April 8, 2002
Software: EphPod beta v2.10 released
“EphPod is a program designed to make your iPod work with Windows. You will need a program to let you read Mac drives through Windows for EphPod to work properly. Currently, we recommend MacOpener. It has a free trial, so you can try it before you have to pay for it.”
- Contacts Editor (first shot at this, so be gentle)
- News Feeds (also first shot)
- New Config Screen look of Tabset Bug fixes:
- Took another shot at fixing the floating point errors
- “No Album” Copy To Directory function error fixed
Software: EntourageNotes 1.2 released
- An “*” is put at the beginning of each note name so that they stay grouped and are at the beginning of the contact list.
- Arbitrarily large notes are now supported by splitting them across multiple contact entries (with about 2000 characters per entry).
- Fixed a problem with exporting medium length notes.
- Removes colons from filenames since they’re not allowed by the Mac OS.
- Added a useful progress indicator.
- Makes sure that filenames are less than 27 characters so that the notes will always be displayed by the iPod.
- The deleting of existing notes now only deletes the files and leaves the folder alone.
Software: PodText 1.0 released
“Podtext is a quick’n'dirty tool to transfer text-based notes into your iPod that can be read just like «Contacts» directly on the iPod’s screen. Podtext X runs natively under Mac OS X. If you want to use Podtext under Classic/Mac OS 9, please download Podtext Classic. Unlike other tools, Podtext is able to transfer the complete Macintosh charset including characters used in german, french, italian or other foreign languages. While other apps max out at 1000 characters per note; Podtext can extend that limit to 2000 characters. And best of all: While others will cost you an arm and a leg, Podtext is completely free!
Software: PodNotes 1.3.1 released
“PodNotes now delivers Driving Directions - click File/Driving Directions and put in your start address and end address. The directions will be downloaded to your Contacts folder.
PodNotes now delivers Newsfeeds from Wired News and iPoding - click File/Download News and choose a source. The newsfeed will be downloaded to your Contacts folder, and will be updated whenever the newsfeed is clicked again.”
Apple UK offers free Dr. Bott kit with iPod
Macworld UK reports Apple UK is giving away a free Dr. Bott iPod Connection Kit with purchase of a 5GB iPod.
“To qualify, purchasers must acquire their iPod from a participating Apple reseller or the online Apple Store before June 29th, 2002, and complete the coupon.”
Sunday, April 7, 2002
Software: iPod2iTunes 0.9b1 released
“Usually you cannot transfer songs or playlists from your iPod to your Mac. iPod2iTunes (i2i) is the only utility which allows you not only to copy but to synchronize tracks + playlists from your iPod(s) to your Mac(s). First, it shows you exactly which of the tracks on the iPod are not on your Mac. After synchronizing, you can browse through the new tracks directly in iTunes. You may then transfer some or all tracks to your Mac:
- based on artist/album.
- based on genre/artist/album
i2i will transfer the MP3 files seamlessly into your existing MP3 collection
and creates folders & subfolders as necessary. The transferred tracks are
added to your iTunes library automatically.”
Laser engraving your old iPod
[Updated: 04|09|02 11:15 A.M. PST]
iLounger, “rwoelk” writes in the forums with news of a San Jose company that will laser engrave your already purchased iPod:
“I found a company in San Jose, CA who will do this process [Same parameters and character limitations, although they might be flexible on this(?)] for $35.00 for a single iPod and only $50.00 for up to 3 iPods at a time. I think that’s very reasonable given that they normally charge $150.00 for a single setup, fixing lenses and such. They felt confident there would be no problem in doing this process with the iPod intact as any heat generated is so localized and short lived it would not cause any damage to any internal components. That said, and out of an abundance of caution, one might want to wait to have this done after their Ipod’s 90 day warranty has expired since I have no idea what Apple’s policy might be on warranty work done on iPods that have been lased post-production. I would give out the engraving company’s web site, but they would prefer to be contacted initially by e-mail over that of the phone. Savvy users wanting more info might work around this doing a search with Sherlock and/or Google ;=)
Update: Read the forum posting for more info on how to contact Zap’O Marks, Inc. Laser Engraving.
Next: News 04.14.02-04.20.02
Previous: News 03.31.02-04.06.02
Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
Cook: ‘Religious freedom’ laws allowing discrimination are dangerous
iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?<
OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
Pronto Smart Remote System
iWalk Extreme Spartan
EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus<
Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?<