Saturday, August 3, 2002
Software: Xpod 1.3.5 Released
“Have an iPod and want to copy mp3 files with one click to another system? No problem with BITcom Xpod, the easy to use utility for iPod owners. One click native Aqua interface and unlimited iPod support.”
- What’s new in v1.3.5
- Drag and drop support to copy single files
- Easy to use one-click music copy
- Auto-rename of files
- Support for iPod Extras
- Device information
- Direct internal play of music titles
Software: CrockPod 1.0.1 Released
Notice: CopyPod has been renamed to CrockPod due to another application already using the name CopyPod.
“CrockPod is a small, easy to use utility for your iPod. It lets you search and find songs on your iPod and then select certain ones to download. It utilizes a search feature that is similar to iTunes.”
What’s new in v1.0.1
Starts reading the MP3’s when app opens
Friday, August 2, 2002
Software: New CopyPod 1.0 Released
“CopyPod is a small, easy to use utility for your iPod. It lets you search and find songs on your iPod and then select certain ones to download. It utilizes a search feature that is similar to iTunes.”
iPod vs. Sliced Bread
iLounger, Brian W. informs us of a humorous story taking place at The Morning News website as two editors, Yancey Strickler and Lavina Lee stand in their corners conducting a “who’s better” fight between the iPod 10GB and a slice of pumpernickel. One of the questions in the 10 round bout asks, “Which one makes a better contraceptive?” Read all 10 rounds and find out who gets knocked out.
Software: Audion X 3.0.1 Released
Panic, Inc. has released an update to Audion X. There is over twenty improvements and fixes for the iPod supported MP3 player/encoder.
- Here’s a partial list fixes related to the iPod:
- Fixed a rare problem where iPod playlists could get mixed up in certain circumstances
- Clarified the “Manage iPod” toolbar icon just a bit
- Audion no longer checks network volumes when looking for newly attached iPods
- iPod support will now maintain the rating, last played, and play count data of iPod files
New iPods at Apple Stores Update
After calling several Apple stores in the Southern California area we have learned that they only have the iPod 20GB models in. The new iPod 10GB and new iPod accessories will be available at Apple retail stores starting next week. Check with your local Apple store.
Software: iPod It 1.2 Released
“Who needs a PDA when you have an iPod?
With iPod It you can take all your important information with you. Your Entourage events, e-mail and notes can be exported to your iPod and are available whenever you need them. Going on a trip? Download a forecast of the city you’re visiting. And don’t stop there; download directions so you know how to get around once you get there. “
- What’s new in v1.2:
- You can now export all of your Entourage data to your iPod!
- All or any subset of your Entourage Contacts can be exported. You can also select whether you want the contacts ordered by first or last name.
- All of your Entourage Tasks can be exported into an iPod “note”. The tasks are ordered by priority and indicate whether or not the task has been completed.
- Two utilities have been added to make it easier to manage your iPod. You no longer have to go to the Finder to eject your iPod or delete files.
Michael Zapp, developer of iPod It also wanted to let our readers know that he plans on “phasing out EntourageEvents/Mail/Notes in favour of iPod It.”
Software: PodUtil 1.0b4 Released
“PodUtil is (another) management program for the Apple iPod. It allows you to directly edit the Contacts on your iPod, presenting them in a list for one-click editing. As soon as you’re done editing, the contact(s) are saved for immediate use on your iPod. No more fiddling around copying .vcf files everywhere, PodUtil does it in one click!
Another function PodUtil can do is to copy the music from your iPod back to your computer. While doing so, it can organise your music by artist and/or album, and will also change the creator codes to match the one of your favourite MP3 player.”
Please refer to the website for a complete list of new improvements, additions and bug fixes.
Refurbished iMac G4/700, 5GB iPod for $1,529
“Small Dog Electronics offers dealmac readers the
factory-refurbished iMac G4/700 256/40.0/CDRW-DVD/56k/1000BT
15-inch TFT and iPod 5GB MP3 Player for $1,529. That’s $70
less than the best price we could find if purchased
separately elsewhere. The iMac has a one-year Apple
warranty, while the iPod has 90 days. Offer ends August 5,
Thursday, August 1, 2002
New Mac iPod 20GB Now Available
Update:After calling several Apple stores in the Southern California area we have learned that they only have the iPod 20GB models in. The new iPod 10GB and new iPod accessories will be available at Apple retail stores next week.
iLounger, Zach writes:
“The Valley Fair Apple Store (Santa Clara, California) has 20GB iPods in stock.”
iLounger, John D. informs us that he has bought the new 20GB model at a local Apple Store in New Jersey.
“Just wanted to drop you guys a line to let you know that the new iPods are available as of today, August 1, at Apple retail stores. These initial units are the Mac only versions. I purchased a 20GB iPod at the Apple Store in Short Hills, NJ. Great Unit.”
Software: EphPod v2.50 for Windows Released
- What’s new in v2.50:
- Internationalization: Now features EphPod in Spanish, French, Japanese, Swedish,German, and Jive
- Normalization of MP3s through MP3Gain (included with EphPod - Just right-click on a song and choose “Adjust Volume”...
- Added iPod Updater by podtronics to update the firmware.
- Added “Make Playlist for Each Directory Added” for those of you who want more playlists made automatically. (Check Regular Options)
- Added “Make Special Playlists” on sync command to make genre, recent, and orphan playlists on every sync.
- Added “Make Playlist From Recent” to make playlist of songs added in the past X days
- Added “Save Song List to CSV” function that saves the current songs listed in the song list to a CSV file.
- Added flexible renaming of songs copied from iPod
- Added new set of keyboard shortcuts (CJ’s keys) for a more “windows standard” feel
- Added “minimum number of songs” specification for playlists made from genre/playlists
- Added “Sync and Quit” option
- New “Add Playlist” button
- Support for MusicMatch playlists
- Support for iTunes 3
- Improvements of Sync Directory Selection.
- Minor Bug Fixes
EphPod developer, Joe Freshman writes in the announcement email:
There are two outstanding issues with EphPod at this point that I wanted to include with this version, but I was unable to do so because of time issues (I really wanted to get something new out to you guys, and I will hopefully have these in a future version).
1) Some people with Microsoft Outlook get errors when they use my “Export Outlook Contacts” button. For you, I would recommend you get OutPod from http://www.stoer.de/ipod/ipod_en.htm . It seems to work for everyone who has trouble with the built-in one.
2) Unicode ID3 tags. Doing this in Delphi is decidedly non-trivial, and this is currently my top priority. I’ve been working with another freeware author on doing this, and hopefully it will be completed soon.
In addition, I am excited about the new Windows iPods coming out. I will be getting one, and EphPod will be modified to work with them (it may not actually need to be modified to work with them, actually).
In particular, EphPod will support the new cool playlist-of-popular-songs feature, and will support any of the new Calendar features that it needs to (probably by helping you export things).
Amazon Discontinues $50 Rebate for Jaguar
MacMinute reports that Amazon will no longer be continuing the Mac OSX 10.2 Jaguar $50 rebate offer due to overwhelming demand.
“‘Customer response exceeded our wildest expectations so we’re not continuing the rebate at this time,’ Ling Hong, an Amazon.com spokesperson told MacMinute. ‘But obviously all the pre-orders that we received during the time that the rebate offer was posted on our site will be honored.’”
10 Gigabyte iPod: $349.00
“ClubMac lowered their price on the original 10 Gigabyte iPod MP3 player to $349.00. This version does not include the remote control but can be upgraded with the new firmware once it’s released by Apple. It’s among the best prices we’ve seen.”
Wednesday, July 31, 2002
XPlay 1.0.1 Patch Released
Mediafour has released a small patch for XPlay/iTunes 3 users. iLounger, “c.c.r” sums it up in a forum thread, “This patch addresses primarily the issue with XPlay not being able to read your iPod’s music database after your iPod has been exposed to iTunes 3.” To install the patch use Start > Programs > XPlay > XPlay on the Web > Check for XPlay Updates to patch XPlay to support iTunes 3.
Tuesday, July 30, 2002
“PluggedIn: New iPod Highlights Old Dilemma for PCs”
Reuters editor, Ben Berkowitz, reports on FireWire Vs. USB 2.0 and its affects on iPod for Windows users.
“Adding this peripheral connector, commonly called FireWire, is a relatively simple matter of installing an add-in card to the PC. But such cards cost about $50, on top of the $299 to $499 a consumer can expect to spend buying a new iPod player.”
MARWARE SportSuit Basic Case Now Available
MARWARE, makers of laptop, PDA and iPod cases has released a third model for the iPod.
“The SportSuit Basic features a 2mm neoprene exterior, clear plastic screen protection, a plush-lined interior, Velcro closure, easy access to the firewire port and hold button. Plastic inserts in the sides and back of the case add impact protection. The case uses the patented Multidapt system of interchangeable clips, which allows for a variety of carrying options.
The SportSuit Basic comes with a removable low-profile spring clip. Other accessories available separately include: Lanyard, Bike Holder, Car Holder, Swivel Clip and a Leather Swivel Clip. The Basic accommodates the 5GB, 10GB and 20GB iPod models and is available in black. It retails for $24.95.”
Monday, July 29, 2002
iPod Dies, Marriage Terminated
iLounger, “caterinka” posted a sad, but true tale of her iPod launching into mid-air while speeding down the highway at 80mph.
“My husband hurled my 5GB out of my convertible while he was screaming at me. I was driving down the freeway at 80mph at the time. Needless to say, I have filed for divorce.”
After emailing “caterinka” to expand on her story, she replied, “Sadly, the story related on the forum is verifiable. I was going to divorce hubby anyway, since his abusive behavior has not been limited to the destruction of innocent electronics, but deliberately chucking my iPod from a swiftly moving vehicle was the last straw. I watched the poor iPod disintegrate in my rear view mirror as I drove along I-25. Perhaps I should have attempted to go back for it, but the circumstances just weren’t ideal, as you can imagine.”
Software: iPod2iTunes 1.5b1 Released
“Within iTunes or the Finder it is not possible to transfer tracks or playlists from your iPod to your Mac(s). iPod2iTunes (i2i) is the only utility which allows you not only to copy but to synchronize tracks + playlists from your iPod(s) to your Mac(s). The synchronization ensures that you don’t produce duplicate MP3 files on your disk as it is easily the case if you just copy files from the iPod via other methods.”
What’s new in v1.5b1:
- Many detail improvements in the user interface. The old interface was misleading, especially some messages in the status playlist. Is now cleaner and clear.
- Support for iTunes 3.0
- AppleScript 1.8.3 Update is now required. It is available via Software Update or from http://www.apple.com.
- i2i 1.5b1 is about 20% faster when used with iTunes 2.0.3/2.0.4. Speed for iTunes 3 can eventually also be improved in future updates
- Duplicate tracks on the iPod are filtered before they go into the “iPod Tracks” playlist
- Many not so visible improvements
This beta version contains no known bugs. If you find one, please report it to the email address at the bottom of the ReadMe. Don’t run beta software without a backup of all your data!
iPod Review and Comparison
San Francisco Chronicle editor, Benny Evangelista reviews the new iPods and compares them to Sonicblue’s Rio Riot and Creative’s Nomad 3. Benny concludes the review with a simple, “But for now, the iPods have it.”
Sunday, July 28, 2002
iPod FAQ at Apple.com
iLounger, “iamsachiroc” informs us that Apple.com has recently published an iPod FAQ. Some of the topics included are; Choosing an MP3 Player That’s Right for You, Skip Protection, Audio, Battery, and Using iPod in Your Home and in Your Car.
$50 Rebate for Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar
iLounger, “cloudaj” has discovered a $50 mail-in rebate from Amazon.com for Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar. Mac OS 10.2 is normally $129 and is avaialble for pre-order. That makes it $79 after rebate plus free shipping.
Original iPod 10GB for $344 with free shipping
“A reader points us to Amazon.com for the original 10 Gigabyte iPod MP3 player for $344.00. It’s the best deal we’ve seen. The new 10 GB version is priced at $399.00.”
Next: News 08.05.02-08.10.02
Previous: News 07.21.02-07.27.02
Pandora CFO calls Apple a ‘frenemy,’ says service will be available in CarPlay
Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
Apple hires former Dolby executive
ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch<
VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
Pronto Smart Remote System
iWalk Extreme Spartan
EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6<
Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?<