Our review of the iPad Air can be found here.
Apple’s fifth-generation iPad is expected to borrow design cues from the successful iPad mini. The overall footprint of the newest full-sized iPad should be smaller, while preserving the same 9.7” screen size. We expect the device to be thinner, with dramatically smaller left and right bezels. Chamfered edges and curves would also come from the iPad mini design.
Due to its smaller, thinner nature, the newest full-sized iPad should have a full internal redesign, including a smaller, updated version of the A6X. Processing capabilities could be similar to the fourth-generation iPad.
While rumors suggested that Apple was hoping for an April release, we still believe October is the most likely target release date for the newest iPad. The fifth-generation iPad may very well utilize a new screen technology, possibly Sharp’s IGZO, which enables thinner and more power-efficient high-resolution displays. However, a March report noted that IGZO production has continued to miss targets, making it less likely — but not impossible — that the fifth-generation iPad could feature an IGZO screen. If it still uses a Retina display, rather than an IGZO screen, the device may be a bit thicker than originally anticipated.
A photo of the alleged fifth-generation iPad’s bezel was leaked in early April — there is a thinner bezel on the left and right edges.
There was talk of a possible iPad event in April; that looks highly unlikely at this point. March was another alleged release date.
Fifth-generation iPad production will begin in July or August. This seems like a possibility, given an expected October release.
Some rumors claimed that the new iPad would switch to a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. We don’t believe so.
A redesigned, smaller LED backlight will reduce the overall size of the device.
A few more alleged cases leaked in mid-April; both hint at a thinner bezel and smaller overall form factor.
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 to feature haptic feedback?
- New photos claim to show iPhone 5S
- Purported iPad bezel leak; iPhone 5S in more colors?
- iLounge launches Rumor + Speculation Roundups
- iOS 7 running late; iPad event possibly April?
- Fingerprint sensor, NFC in iPhone 5S?
- Developers already showing early iPad 5 cases
- Next iPad mini shell photos leaked?
- Report: Apple losing power over carriers, subsidies changing?
- Leaked photos show iPad 5 back piece
- Rumor: Apple plans 4.8” iPhone, another by Christmas?
- Next iPhone rumors: 5S and low-cost phones
- Schiller: Apple will not make a ‘cheap’ iPhone [Updated]
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.