Our review of the iPad mini with Retina display can be found here.
Apple’s second-generation iPad mini is expected to feature a Retina display. While it’s also expected to maintain a look and feel similar to the first-generation mini, a thicker rear shell may be needed if the device goes Retina.
However, if there are no body changes and the display gets an upgrade, it’s possible the mini could use Sharp’s IGZO technology for its screen. Although a March report of troubled IGZO production makes this seem less likely, there’s still a possibility IGZO could be used in both the second-gen mini and fifth-generation iPad.
We’re expecting an October release for the second-generation iPad mini, give or take a few weeks. It should appear at around the same time as the fifth-generation iPad, assuming that Apple can manufacture it.
The second-generation iPad mini may contain an upgraded camera.
Like the fifth-gen iPad, the iPad mini has also been rumored for an earlier release, in April. This didn’t sound likely when it was rumored.
There have been a few reports about a non-Retina second-generation iPad mini being followed by a Retina mini. In this scenario, the Retina iPad mini likely wouldn’t be released until 2014.
The iPad mini will require a major processor upgrade akin to the A5X in order to support a Retina screen. However, the original A5X is too large and power-hungry for a device as thin as the iPad mini, so a smaller and more energy efficient version will be needed, akin to the smaller A5 chip found in the updated Apple TV.
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 to feature haptic feedback?
- New photos claim to show iPhone 5S
- Purported iPad bezel leak; iPhone 5S in more colors?
- iLounge launches Rumor + Speculation Roundups
- iOS 7 running late; iPad event possibly April?
- Fingerprint sensor, NFC in iPhone 5S?
- Developers already showing early iPad 5 cases
- Next iPad mini shell photos leaked?
- Report: Apple losing power over carriers, subsidies changing?
- Leaked photos show iPad 5 back piece
- Rumor: Apple plans 4.8” iPhone, another by Christmas?
- Next iPhone rumors: 5S and low-cost phones
- Schiller: Apple will not make a ‘cheap’ iPhone [Updated]
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.