Rumors suggest that Apple has been developing a larger version of the iPad. To date, most reports agree that the larger iPad will have a display slightly smaller than 13 inches — possibly 12.9 inches or 12 inches. In order to achieve “Retina” display standards, the screen will need to have a higher resolution than the current-generation 2048x1536 iPad displays, and rumors suggest that it will be close in resolution to the 4K screens on 13.3” Retina MacBook Pros.
Apple has also reportedly been working on a 17-watt power supply, possibly for a larger iPad — more power than is required for the current iPad, but far less than is required for the 11” MacBook Air.
We’re unsure of the name at this point, but our best guess at this point would be “iPad Pro,” based on current Apple naming conventions and possible features of a larger iPad.
Given the weight and physical size of current iPads, it’s unclear how users would be expected to hold a larger iPad, and likely that Apple is exploring improved stand options for this model. Should it be targeted at the professional market, an Apple-developed physical keyboard would be a natural first accessory.
Apple is working with Taiwanese company Quanta on developing a 12-inch iPad.
New touchscreen technology is being explored for sensing differing degrees of pressure on an iPad screen, potentially to aid with stylus use, but may not make it into 2014 models.
Apple is sourcing screens for the new iPad from a “first-tier” Korean supplier, likely LG but possibly Samsung.
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple to add 3X Retina Display support to iPhone 6?
- iPhone 6 to feature haptic feedback?
- New photos claim to show iPhone 5S
- Purported iPad bezel leak; iPhone 5S in more colors?
- iLounge launches Rumor + Speculation Roundups
- iOS 7 running late; iPad event possibly April?
- Fingerprint sensor, NFC in iPhone 5S?
- Developers already showing early iPad 5 cases
- Next iPad mini shell photos leaked?
- Report: Apple losing power over carriers, subsidies changing?
- Leaked photos show iPad 5 back piece
- Rumor: Apple plans 4.8” iPhone, another by Christmas?
- Next iPhone rumors: 5S and low-cost phones
- Schiller: Apple will not make a ‘cheap’ iPhone [Updated]
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.