Downloading past iTunes purchases to your iOS device | iLounge Tips

Downloading past iTunes purchases to your iOS device

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Tips Categories: iPad, iPhone, iPod,

image

As you might have heard, Apple has announced iTunes in the Cloud, allowing users to download past iTunes Store music and music video purchases directly to their iPhones, iPads, or iPod touches, free of charge. If your device is running iOS 4.3.3, simply open the iTunes Store app and look at the bottom row of tabs. You should see a new tab called Purchased, from which you can access and download all your past iTunes Store music purchases. You can look for specific songs by searching, browse past purchases via Recent Purchases or Not On This iPhone automatically-populated lists, or browse by artist. When you’ve found the song or album you were looking for, simply tap the cloud download button to the right of the listing. Just remember that if you’re on 3G, these downloads will count against your data limit, so try to stay away from grabbing up album after album until you’re back on Wi-Fi.

image

« Setting up Automatic Downloads in iOS and iTunes

Grabbing screenshots on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch »

Recent Tips

Comments

There’s also a Purchased button in the updates section of the App Store

Posted by Rick Moore on June 7, 2011 at 9:32 AM (CDT)

Will this include music purchased many years ago.  For some reason when I go to the purchased tab, it shows only around 500 songs purchased yet I have purchased probably 4,000 songs over the last 10 years.

Posted by Bill Prince on June 7, 2011 at 10:31 AM (CDT)

I have the tab in the App Store, but not in iTunes, White iPhone 4 running 4.3.3 (8J2) if that helps….

Posted by Jeremy Pope on June 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM (CDT)

So, if you run out of space on your iPod, you could delete songs or albums and download them again later?

But will the replacement downloads require more space (128 v 256, etc)?

Posted by Singlestick on June 7, 2011 at 1:58 PM (CDT)

@ Bill Prince

It’s showing everything I’ve ever purchased through iTunes, dating all the way back to 2004.  Pretty cool new feature!

Posted by Sean on June 7, 2011 at 8:53 PM (CDT)

This is a great feature! Can you also download your purchased movies?

Posted by Gino on June 9, 2011 at 3:36 AM (CDT)

You forgot to mention that this only works for U.S. customers at the moment (unless something has changed in the last day or so that I don’t know about!)

Posted by BrennerM on June 9, 2011 at 8:53 AM (CDT)

I see the same thing as Bill (although I’m sure I haven’t purchased 4,000 songs), but I know that I have purchased more than what appears in my Purchased tab.

Posted by justafew on June 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM (CDT)

got all my past music back. think its great, been waiting for this. but are they going to let you get past movies & tv shows?

Posted by joey on June 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM (CDT)

I downloaded a song from the purchased thing from another account on my iPod touch then it said I have to wait ninety days to use the feature again and it’s been ninety days ( a little over) and it still won’t let me download!
I still love the feature though.

Posted by Zoe on May 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM (CDT)