Tip of the Day
Enabling Parental Controls in iBooks
With the release of iOS 6, Apple has expanded its parental controls feature to encompass iBooks content, albeit in a more limited fashion than for other types of content. While a mandatory rating system does not exist for books, options can be found under Settings, General, Restrictions to disable access to the iBookstore entirely or simply prevent the downloading of books containing explicit sexual content. The first option allows access to the iBooks app for reading existing content while preventing users from purchasing or downloading any new iBooks directly on their device. Disabling explicit sexual content will disallow purchasing, previewing and sharing any books marked as containing explicitly sexual content—the buy and sample buttons will be disabled, no sharing link will appear, and a generic book image will be displayed in the iBookstore rather than the original book’s cover image. With iBooks 2.2 and higher these controls will also hide any explicit books already stored on the device.
- Showing full conversation threads in iOS Mail
- Getting haptic feedback for walking directions in Google Maps
- Filtering iMessages from unknown senders in iOS 8.3
- Going on 3D Flyover Tours in Apple Maps
- Using Thread Notifications in iOS Mail
- Displaying Emergency Contact Info in iOS 8
- Manually adjusting camera exposure in iOS 8
- Quickly Bookmark and Add to Reading List in Safari
- Adding RSS Feeds to Safari in iOS 8
- Finding your iPhone’s Serial Number, IMEI, and other numbers
- Sharing Passbook Passes
- Browse your mailbox while composing a message
- Sending quick Audio iMessages
- Seeing your Photos on a Map
- Improving password security in iOS
- Setting Different Calendar Alert Types in iOS 8
- Managing iTunes Wish Lists
- Turning off alerts for individual Calendars in iOS 8
- Quickly viewing your most recent Notifications
- Enabling 60 fps Video Recording on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Reordering Photos in iOS 8 Photo Albums
- Improving In-Car Voice Navigation Prompts in iOS Maps
- Requesting the desktop version of a site in Safari on iOS
- Muting Conversations in Messages
- Enabling SMS Continuity in iOS 8
- Restoring Deleted Photos and Videos in iOS 8
- Monitoring Battery Usage in iOS 8
- Customizing Mail swipe actions in iOS 8
- Automatically removing old Messages in iOS 8
- Hiding Photos in the iOS 8 Photo Library
- See all Tips. »
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?