Tip of the Day
Enabling Parental Controls in iBooks
With the release of iOS 6, Apple has expanded its parental controls feature to encompass iBooks content, albeit in a more limited fashion than for other types of content. While a mandatory rating system does not exist for books, options can be found under Settings, General, Restrictions to disable access to the iBookstore entirely or simply prevent the downloading of books containing explicit sexual content. The first option allows access to the iBooks app for reading existing content while preventing users from purchasing or downloading any new iBooks directly on their device. Disabling explicit sexual content will disallow purchasing, previewing and sharing any books marked as containing explicitly sexual content—the buy and sample buttons will be disabled, no sharing link will appear, and a generic book image will be displayed in the iBookstore rather than the original book’s cover image. With iBooks 2.2 and higher these controls will also hide any explicit books already stored on the device.
- Manually refreshing Passbook passes
- Previewing Link URLs in Safari
- Showing only downloaded books in iBooks
- Resetting your Home Screen Layout
- Inserting Pauses when Dialing a Phone Number
- Setting a Sleep Timer on the iPhone
- Managing Saved Passwords and Credit Cards in Safari
- Accessing Recently Closed Tabs in Safari
- Applying and removing Filters in Camera + Photos
- Quickly reading and replying to Messages
- Adjusting Siri’s volume
- Naming your Fingerprints for Touch ID
- Quickly toggling the Predictive Text bar
- Showing full conversation threads in iOS Mail
- Getting haptic feedback for walking directions in Google Maps
- Filtering iMessages from unknown senders in iOS 8.3
- Going on 3D Flyover Tours in Apple Maps
- Using Thread Notifications in iOS Mail
- Displaying Emergency Contact Info in iOS 8
- Manually adjusting camera exposure in iOS 8
- Quickly Bookmark and Add to Reading List in Safari
- Adding RSS Feeds to Safari in iOS 8
- Finding your iPhone’s Serial Number, IMEI, and other numbers
- Sharing Passbook Passes
- Browse your mailbox while composing a message
- Sending quick Audio iMessages
- Seeing your Photos on a Map
- Improving password security in iOS
- Setting Different Calendar Alert Types in iOS 8
- Managing iTunes Wish Lists
- See all Tips. »
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Olloclip releases new Active Lens for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
- Refurbished iPad Air 2 models hit Apple Store
- Apple releases first Apple Watch Software Update
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?