Tip of the Day
Freeing up storage in iCloud
Apple provides each iCloud user with 5GB of free storage for iOS device backups, application documents and data, and iCloud e-mail, but if you have multiple iOS devices, or keep a lot of photos and videos in your camera roll, this can quickly fill up. Further, if you’ve recently upgraded to a new iOS device, the backup from your old device may still be laying around in your iCloud account, taking up additional space. Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to see what’s taking up space in there and clear it out. Simply go into your iOS Settings app, select iCloud and then Storage & Backup, and then Manage Storage. This will show you first a list of all of the backups stored in your iCloud account for each of your devices, along with the device name, followed by a list of apps storing data in iCloud. You can tap on any of these items to see more information; backups provide a button to delete the entire backup, while application data will provide a list of items that can be deleted individually by using a swipe gesture or tapping the “Edit” button in the top-right corner.
If you’re a Mac user with OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, you can also access this information from your OS X System Preferences by going to iCloud, and clicking the “Manage Storage” button. Note that some iCloud data such as Photo Streams, Calendars, Contacts, Reminders is not included in the 5GB of user-accessible storage—it doesn’t count against your limit, nor is there any way to delete it. Apple also keeps up to three iCloud backups for each of your devices, but only the most recent backup consumes your iCloud storage; deleting the current backup will also delete the previous versions.
Lastly, if you’re using multiple iOS devices in a family, it may be worthwhile to consider switching each user to their own iCloud account—that way they each get their own 5GB of storage, saving you from the possibility of having to purchase additional storage just backup all of the family devices.
- Sorting iOS Notifications Chronologically
- Bringing up Wallet from the iPhone lock screen
- Annotating PDFs and images in iOS 9 Mail
- Saving and Sharing Visual Voicemail Messages
- Adding links to Reminders in iOS 9
- Enabling iCloud Drive app in iOS 9
- Going back to a four-digit passcode in iOS 9
- Engaging Low Power Mode in iOS 9
- Adjusting video recording quality settings in iOS 9
- Saving to PDF in iOS 9
- Sending iMessages with Return in iOS 9 when using an external keyboard
- Restoring Files, Contacts, and Calendars in iCloud
- Enabling Do Not Disturb while actively using your iPhone
- Showing only Downloaded Music in iOS 8.4
- Activating Siri by voice
- Accessing a song’s album in the iOS 8.4 Music app
- Setting a custom playlist image
- Unsharing Playlists in Apple Music
- Disliking ‘For You’ suggestions in Apple Music
- Moving photos from main timeline into albums in iOS 8
- Sending locations from your desktop to your iPhone in Google Maps
- Bringing back shaped buttons in iOS 8
- Using your iPhone as a level
- Using Quick Website Search in Mobile Safari
- Updating your Apple TV Screen Saver via iCloud
- Sending to iCloud Shared Photo albums from other apps
- Find My Friends: Consolidating friends from multiple accounts
- Showing badge count for only important messages in iOS Mail
- Navigating through songs and videos at finer intervals
- Suspending or removing Apple Pay via iCloud
- See all Tips. »
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?