Getting rid of Wi-Fi network pop-ups on iOS | iLounge Tips

Getting rid of Wi-Fi network pop-ups on iOS

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, June 16, 2011
Tips Categories: iPad, iPhone, iPod

image

Today’s tips is aimed at the urban dwellers. Do you frequently notice that your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad is asking you to join random, unknown networks while you’re walking, riding, or even just sitting at a nearby café? Unless you like these interruptions, there’s an easy way to rid yourself of these annoying notifications. Simply open the Settings app, tap Wi-Fi, and set the “Ask to Join Networks” slider to off. Now your device will only connect to networks that it’s previously connected to—like the ones at your home and work—unless you open that same Wi-Fi menu and manually look for a new connection. It can be a little less handy, but it’s also a lot less aggravating.

« Navigating the Music app with one hand

Quickly add apps, content to iOS devices »

Recent Tips

Comments

Yeah, it would actually be nice if the iPhone wouldn’t ask to join a network if you were going, say, 60 mph at the time.  wink  I don’t mind it asking when I’m at a cafe or restaurant, but it is rediculous when they flash up every block as I drive down a neighborhood.

Jim

Posted by heyjp on June 16, 2011 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

@1: You shouldn’t be on your phone while driving anyway!

Posted by camembert on June 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM (PDT)

At least 50% of the seats in all cars are non-driver seats.

Posted by spooky2k on June 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

when i open an app on my ipod this popup comes up at the bottom of my screen and it wont go away it bugs me and i dont know how to get rid of it.

Posted by elena on July 5, 2011 at 11:46 PM (PDT)

Anytime I try to use the network to access anything off the internet my I Phone pops up with an Aruba networks secure login page.  How do I stop this?

Posted by Larry Moon on November 14, 2012 at 4:54 PM (PDT)

@2 Right, because no one should be using…

Google Maps
Apple Maps
Navigon

Or any of a dozen other navigation/gps apps while they’re driving.

I suppose you think these are all designed for… walking?

Newsflash: Not every use of an iphone while driving is irresponsible or reckless.

Posted by Dante on May 3, 2013 at 2:56 AM (PDT)