Getting the most out of iOS’ software keyboard | iLounge Tips

Getting the most out of iOS’ software keyboard

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Tips Categories: iPad, iPhone, iPod,

image

When Apple CEO Steve Jobs first unveiled the iPhone, he made a point to highlight the device’s software keyboard, which allowed it to adapt to different uses, unlike the hardware keyboards popular at the time. Well, this adaptability can also make typing on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad faster. When typing an uppercase letter, for instance, you can use a single “tap and slide” motion from the shift button to the letter you need; the same “tap and slide” maneuver can be used when typing a number or symbol. When you’re typing in a web address, tap and hold on the “.com” button to access other frequently used top-level domains such as .net, .edu, and .org, and if you’re typing on the iPad, you can swipe up on the exclamation point/comma or question mark/period button for quick access for an apostrophe or quotation mark, respectively. While they’re not exactly game-changers, these simple tips can save you a few extra taps—and with them, extra seconds—every single day.

image

« Grabbing screenshots on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Turning on Home Sharing for iPod, iPhone, and iPad »

Recent Tips

Comments

Thanks for posting all of these tips. i’ve really enjoyed them. While I do like the iOS keyboard, I think it would be a good idea to include handwriting recognition such transcriber on Pocket PCs or Graffiti on Palm PDAs. In my view, this would make the iOS family of devices better. Finally I have a question: on some newer Android phones, I’ve seen that they offer a feature that alows folks to swipe letters to create words. Does iOS do this?

Posted by hoshieBIOTpod in Havelock, NC USA on May 31, 2011 at 8:29 AM (CDT)

Good tip, but “you can swipe up on the explanation point/comma” ... I think you meant “exclamation point”.

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on May 31, 2011 at 11:49 AM (CDT)

@ RMP: <LOL> I was hoping it WAS an explanation point!  It might come in handy for excuses @ work ;)

Posted by sb on May 31, 2011 at 12:16 PM (CDT)

#2,

Thanks for the heads up - it’s been fixed.

Posted by Charles Starrett on May 31, 2011 at 12:52 PM (CDT)

Also on some layouts where the period (.) is shown if you hold down on it a pop-up will open with various .domain extensions.  Very useful when entering email addresses as holding the . will pull up the various .domain extensions.

Posted by budwizer on May 31, 2011 at 7:12 PM (CDT)

I just downloaded the new software and I’m unable to use my keyboard in the phone.  I can’t add or search contacts using my keyboard because it doesn’t automatically come up.

Help!
Frustrated

Posted by Claudia Castro on October 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM (CDT)